Best performances by an actor?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hanks - Philadelphia

y

Came in here to post this.

That part of the movie where he gets shot down by another lawyer, stepping outside into the cold- the look in his eyes without saying a word is just heartbreaking.

Love that film.

Came in here to post this.

That part of the movie where he gets shot down by another lawyer, stepping outside into the cold- the look in his eyes without saying a word is just heartbreaking.

Love that film.

Springsteen’s song as well echoes all over that film

Sebastian Koch - The Lives of Others
Roberto Benigni - Life is Beautiful
John Hurt - The Elephant Man
Anthony Hopkins - Silence of the Lambs
Tom Hanks - Philadelphia
Roy Scheider - Jaws
Harrison Ford - Witness
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Yep, strong. Ford in witness is great, as he is in presumed innocent

Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

The film would have been another boring Titanic style love story between Leo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz if DDL didn't steal the show from them.

Should have won another best actor Oscar for that performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

The film would have been another boring Titanic style love story between Leo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz if DDL didn't steal the show from them.

Should have won another best actor Oscar for that performance.
I don't get the love for his acting in that.

I found it really camp. Almost like Johnny Depp playing Jack Sparrow, only the film had a far more serious tone than Pirates, so it seemed out of place.

I'm sorry but robert shaw is clearly the best actor in that film, how can you go with roy schieder over shaw in that?!? Lol
I think Dreyfuss beats Schieder in that too, which is no slag on Roy at all but hey.

Im in the boat that Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant in Gangs of New York, in a career of sublime that was the stand out for me. He really does become the character like no one else.

Schindlers List is responsible for three of the best performances you will see in one movie. Neeson - Fiennes and Kingsley. Neeson was severely underrated in Micheal Collins.

Another movie that many may not be aware of but produced some wonderful acting was Gettysburg. Martin Sheen - Tom Berenger and Jeff Daniels were incredible. Daniels especially. Well worth watching for the acting alone.

Eli Wallach - Tuco (The Ugly) in the Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

He never gets a mention, but I reckon Eli's performance elevates a great western into one of the all-time classic films. Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef were great as well, but didn't really extend themselves beyond their normal quiet persona.

Most already noted. Does anyone do voices better than Day-Lewis? Compare Phantom Thread to Lincoln to There will be blood. Great actor.

Others not noted...

Cazale in Godfather II

Nicholson - Cuckoo’s Nest...his best performance

John Turturro - Barton Fink
Brando - Godfather & Waterfront

Bale - Machinist & The Fighter. One of best kid performances in Empire of the Sun

Depp - Ed Wood
Oldman - Sid & Nancy
Walken cameo in Pulp Fiction
Pacino - Dog Day Afternoon

Klaus Kinski - Wrath of God, Nosferatu & Fitzcarraldo

Hackman - The Conversation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back