Best performances by an actor?

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Sam Rockwell in just about anything. Moon, Galaxy Quest, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, etc.

Best actor of his generation, I recko.
My two favorites of his are still Seven Pyschopaths and The Way Way Back. The guy just steals every scene he's in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I liked Sam Elliotts performance in Mask starring alongside Cher, i don't know of anymore films he's in though.
He's great. Western's seem to be his preffered genre but he's good in pretty much everything he does. Roadhouse was good performance.

Chloe 28

Rookie
Jan 6, 2019
UK.
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's great. Western's seem to be his preffered genre but he's good in pretty much everything he does. Roadhouse was good performance.
I think my friend has Roadhouse, I'll check it out!
He's so cool in Mask, can't imagine him being anything else.

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
So many great performances over the years I find it almost impossible to narrow it down to just one, but one that still stays with me after so many years (1964) would be Rod Steiger in The Pawnbroker, probably as close to flawless as one could get IMO.

He could be a bit "over the top" at times but in this gave a perfectly controlled performance.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
king benny.jpg

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
I liked Sam Elliotts performance in Mask starring alongside Cher, i don't know of anymore films he's in though.

That basso profundo voice! He played Gen. John Buford in Gettysburg. That's a great film, if you like long, historically accurate movies.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
So many great performances over the years I find it almost impossible to narrow it down to just one, but one that still stays with me after so many years (1964) would be Rod Steiger in The Pawnbroker, probably as close to flawless as one could get IMO.

He could be a bit "over the top" at times but in this gave a perfectly controlled performance.

Speaking of Rod Steiger, has anyone seen The Illustrated Man? Unusual but worth a watch.

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For me, it’s Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln. Extraordinary performance of a legendary, complex man.
Easily the best actor of his generation.
Bogie in Casablanca back in the day was also superb with his world weary cynicism.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Agree with most I've seen posted, there's way too many to pick a single best - a few of my favourites I haven't seen mentioned yet -

Nicholas Cage - Leaving Las Vegas
Paul Newman - The Hustler
Matt Dillon - Factotum
Pam Grier - Jackie Brown
Michael Douglas - Wall Street

& Charlize Theron in Monster deserves an honourable mention.

Some of my faves

Leonardo DiCaprio - Whats Eating Gilbert Grape
Charlize Theron - Monster
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Robin Williams - Dead Poets Society
Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Nicole Kidman - Big Little Lies
William Shatner - Boston Legal
William H Macy - Shameless
Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich
Bryan Cranston - Breaking Bad
Michael K Williams - The Wire

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Some of my faves

Leonardo DiCaprio - Whats Eating Gilbert Grape
Charlize Theron - Monster
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Robin Williams - Dead Poets Society
Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Nicole Kidman - Big Little Lies
William Shatner - Boston Legal
William H Macy - Shameless
Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich
Bryan Cranston - Breaking Bad
Michael K Williams - The Wire

Glad to see another fan of this show. The chemistry between the Shat and the Spade was extraordinary.

Back