Best performances by an actor?

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly if you try to picture Matt as the lead in that movie I don't think he would have been able to do it to the way Casey did.. and that does make me question if its because of Damon's fame or just how he is as an actor. He suits various roles quite well - thought he was tops in Ford v Ferarri recently, but this type of broken man type role doesn't seem like his type.

On the subject of broken movies and the Afflecks, I thought Ben was very good in 'The Way Back' on netflix just recently.

He played a broken down emotional type in Good Will Hunting?

I think it’s in his wheel house.

He made the right decision though.

He played a broken down emotional type in Good Will Hunting?

I think it’s in his wheel house.

He made the right decision though.

I don't think GWH's character was close to the same type of emotion but thats just my opinion.

Age may also have changed him a little too.

Most already noted. Does anyone do voices better than Day-Lewis? Compare Phantom Thread to Lincoln to There will be blood. Great actor.

Others not noted...

Cazale in Godfather II

Nicholson - Cuckoo’s Nest...his best performance

John Turturro - Barton Fink
Brando - Godfather & Waterfront

Bale - Machinist & The Fighter. One of best kid performances in Empire of the Sun

Depp - Ed Wood
Oldman - Sid & Nancy
Walken cameo in Pulp Fiction
Pacino - Dog Day Afternoon

Klaus Kinski - Wrath of God, Nosferatu & Fitzcarraldo

Hackman - The Conversation

I love Bale in The Big Short.

Interestingly if you try to picture Matt as the lead in that movie I don't think he would have been able to do it to the way Casey did.. and that does make me question if its because of Damon's fame or just how he is as an actor. He suits various roles quite well - thought he was tops in Ford v Ferarri recently, but this type of broken man type role doesn't seem like his type.

On the subject of broken movies and the Afflecks, I thought Ben was very good in 'The Way Back' on netflix just recently.

Damon played broken ok in Courage Under Fire.

I see someone mentioned John Cazale earlier. He only made five films before his early death: The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter.

All five were nominated for Best Picture, with three actually winning. Quite a CV. A bit short on quantity, but unbelievable quality!

I was just reading through of list of Best Movie winners and movies that could have won instead and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

There were a number of movies, not necessarily with my favourite actor in them, but ones who I have enjoyed over the years and one, Henry Fonda is in probably 3 of my all time favourite films.

Henry Fonda

Fail Safe
12 Angry Men
Mr Roberts
The Grapes of Wrath
The Ox-Bow Incident

Gregory Peck

To Kill A Mockingbird

Gary Cooper

High Noon

Humphrey Bogart

The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The African Queen

William Powell

The Thin Man series
Mr Roberts

Charlton Heston

Ben Hur
Planet of the Apes
The Omega Man
Soylent Green

I was just reading through of list of Best Movie winners and movies that could have won instead and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

There were a number of movies, not necessarily with my favourite actor in them, but ones who I have enjoyed over the years and one, Henry Fonda is in probably 3 of my all time favourite films.

Henry Fonda

Fail Safe
12 Angry Men
Mr Roberts
The Grapes of Wrath
The Ox-Bow Incident

Gregory Peck

To Kill A Mockingbird

Gary Cooper

High Noon

Humphrey Bogart

The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The African Queen

William Powell

The Thin Man series
Mr Roberts

Charlton Heston

Ben Hur
Planet of the Apes
The Omega Man
Soylent Green

If you like Bogart, you must see The Caine Mutiny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back