Best Performances in a Grand Final by a player?

Which Player produced the best football on Grand Final Day?

• 1989 G Ablett

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • 1992 Peter Matera

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 1993 Michael Long

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 1995 D Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1997 & 1998 - D Jarman

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only that, you watch the highlights back, Langford did absolutely nothing wrong in any of those contests either. His 8th goal (one of the greatest goals you'll ever see kicked with ridiculous nonchalance) had Langford literally draped all over him.

I guess Hawthorn figured Langford kept him to 9 (after moving onto him) and anyone else would have conceded more. Fair enough.
McGuiness coughed up three in a few minutes. Ablett could've had 20, Langford did superbly.

It's worth saying again what a great FB Langford was, very fair player but otherwise the perfect fullback.

First impressions can be so deceptive.

Shuey has the highest rated Grand Final performance since ratings began in 2012, and by some margin. So he is a legitimate entry to this thread, is he not?

As a side note, there does happen to be a back story here. You have on this thread confirmed by the person himself that Fadge rates Pendlebury one of the 6 best finals performers this century. So Shuey's destruction of the Collingwood midfield, which included Pendlebury, makes that performance by Luke Shuey even more meritorious, does it not? Either that or Fadge's ratings are just a little bit out....

giphy.gif

But you know, it is interesting that a person whose only previous post on this thread was the one I have quoted below, should think that I am a flog for trying to bait people with a legit answer to the thread question...

Whilst I am being a flog though, and speaking of Grand Finals, how did thee enjoy the 2017 Preliminary Final and the 2019 Grand Final? ;)
Yep - I was right about the flog bit.

Bet you think you think your "friends" never want to do anything with you because they are intimidated by your superior intellect.

You're just a flog trying to derail this thread.

Ablett 89 was unbelievable. We had come to expect the impossible from him but he got even better. I think 3 of his goals came off McGuiness, a really fine defender, but the others were on Chris MFing Langford, the permanent Victorian FB for most of the 1980's.

Geelong wasn't getting easy ball out of the centre, though, after Ratten was conked Ayres went into the midfield and ripped it up. Ablett could not be stopped, and the goals flowed like water.

I was out in the southern stand, about 12 rows back near the city end 50. I didn't see Brereton get felled but I did see Ayres put Ablett to sleep (for about 10 seconds). Not a nice man, God, but the best player ever to pull on a boot.

Nah we don't want him. **** tier trolling, we expect a higher standard.

Gary Ablett, the 7th most successful footballer in his own family, kicked 9 of 42 goals in the 1989 Grand Final. I am pretty sure 5 of those were on Maginness, who was in his second year at VFL level, and was a middling running defender, who played over 14 games in a season only 5 times in his career, amassing just 130 games across his entire career. Ablett killed him but he was a poor matchup by the Hawks. Ablett did indeed proceed to score another 4 goals in the second half against Langford who was a genuine quality Full Back.

Ablett's performance in this game was:

BOG - yes
Excellent - yes
Potentially match winning - yes
Match winning - no
Unbelievable - no

His 9 goals 1 behind as far as I know were his only score involvements from 72 scores in the match. Hawthorn had 5 players score 3 or 4 goals each, and Geelong had 4 other multiple goal kickers. So the 9 individual goals to Ablett in the context of this match is nowhere near as impressive as if he had done this in almost any other Grand Final. In fact Ablett played in 3 other Grand Finals.

1992 there were 28 goals, Ablett scored 3.

1994 there were 28 goals, Ablett scored 1.

1995 there were 32 goals, Ablett scored....well he failed to score.

Overall he scored 13 of 130 goals across his 4 Grand Final appearances.

There have been quite a few Grand Final performances from 1989 onwards where a player or players have performed scoring feats of greater proportional impact than Ablett's 9 goals with no assists of 42 goals scored in the match in the 1989 decider. Some of those did not even play the whole game forward.

Depends if you are merely doing a statistical analysis of goals and possessions.

Here are 2 to consider:

1. Darren Millane played the entire 1990 finals series with a broken thumb, and was pivotal in the pies breaking thier drought. Top Performance, and all his team mates knew it. Inspirational.
  2. Luke Hodge had his ribs Broken by Kosi in the 2008 Prelim, and came back run the show on Grand Final day, winning the Norm. The Hawks were so well organised down back that day, and it was the key reason they could beat the all time Cats side. The Cats players repeatedly targeted his ribs and he didnt flinch once, not even to protect himself.

(I could have included both Dermie and Dipper 89 GF in the above, but was consious of team bias. I am sure there are more inspirational GF day antics that could be included)

Irrelevant.

Just a few associated facts owen, can never have too many of those to help people get some perspective on a player. Especially when people on this thread are making foolish claims such as that Ablett then daylight.

Hang on, you are owen87. The 7th most successful footballer in his family is owen four from four Grand Finals. I guess that is why he is only the 7th most successful footballer in his family at the end of the day. :)

Just a few associated facts owen, can never have too many of those to help people get some perspective on a player. Especially when people on this thread are making foolish claims such as that Ablett then daylight.

Hang on, you are owen87. The 7th most successful footballer in his family is owen four from four Grand Finals. I guess that is why he is only the 7th most successful footballer in his family at the end of the day. :)

It's about one off GF performance. It wouldn't matter if the player has played 300 exceptional games or just 1 on the GF day before getting delisted.

If you don't rate Ablett's other GF performances that's really not relevant to whether his 1989 game was outstanding or not.

The second line is just... weird.

Gary Ablett, the 7th most successful footballer in his own family...
Lol stopped reading.

Strongly suggest you watch a game of footy live, unless you saw this wingman destroy arguably the best defence ever assembled you mught end up saying something silly.

Depends if you are merely doing a statistical analysis of goals and possessions.

Here are 2 to consider:

1. Darren Millane played the entire 1990 finals series with a broken thumb, and was pivotal in the pies breaking thier drought. Top Performance, and all his team mates knew it. Inspirational.
  2. Luke Hodge had his ribs Broken by Kosi in the 2008 Prelim, and came back run the show on Grand Final day, winning the Norm. The Hawks were so well organised down back that day, and it was the key reason they could beat the all time Cats side. The Cats players repeatedly targeted his ribs and he didnt flinch once, not even to protect himself.

(I could have included both Dermie and Dipper 89 GF in the above, but was consious of team bias. I am sure there are more inspirational GF day antics that could be included)

Along vaguely associated lines and one I was aware with growing up from the stories I heard was John Ernest Arthur "Jack" Mueller, who played in 4 winning Grand Final teams between 1934 and 1950. Beside his inspirational on field feats and brilliant finals record, he was famous for having 2 fingers missing, courtesy of a work accident. Legend had it he played footy the next day after losing the fingers.

But check his Grand Finals 1946, and 1948.

In 1946 he eased through 6 majors of Melbourne's 13 in a losing Grand Final.

After the unsuccessful 1947 season Mueller retired from the first team to play reserves. During the 1948 season, due no doubt to injuries, he was recalled to the senior team mid season to play 2 games, where he scored 6 goals, then 2 goals before resuming his role in the reserves.

He was recalled to the senior team to play the Preliminary Final and both the drawn Grand Final and the replay. His performances in these matches aged 33(very old for the era) will be talked about through time immemorial.

PF v Collingwood 8 goals in a scoreline 25 goals v 15 goals
GF v Essendon 6 goals from 17 scored in the match
GF Replay v Essendon 6 goals of 20 scored in the match

Mueller, post retirement, possessing just 8 fingers and thumbs in total, scored 12 of the 37 goals scored across the GF and GF replay, 32.4% of all goals scored by both teams in those matches. He had scored 20 of 77 goals across the 3 sudden death finals. Melbourne consequently won the 1948 Premiership.

And shamefully, most people who frequent these pages would not even know who Jack Mueller was, let alone what he achieved.

Last edited:
You dispute that Gary Ablett I is the 7th most successful footballer in his own family?
Look out, Meteoric Rise is trying to prove he is smarter than everyone else by baiting then naming Gary Abllett's inlaws and the the medals they received.

Haha, all hail the big brain, just realised that's why he posted that big diatribe earlier.

Just so sad and embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look out, Meteoric Rise is trying to prove he is smarter than everyone else by baiting then naming Gary Abllett's inlaws and the the medals they received.

Haha, all hail the big brain, just realised that's why he posted that big diatribe earlier.

Just so sad and embarrassing.

So far I have submitted, Luke Shuey, Billy Barrot, and Jack Mueller to this thread in answer to the thread question.

So far all you have proven on the thread is that you favour the use of the outmoded bogan terminology "flog."

In the 1920 GF a just turned 19yo Gordon "Nuts" Coventry scored 3 of his team's 5 goals and 3 of 12 scored in the match. 25% of all goals scored in the affair.
Geoff Blethyn 1968 4 of his team's 8 goals, more than half the goals of the winning side, 4 out of a total of 15 = 26.66%

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great spot this one. Another who puts Ablett's 9 of 42 goals into some perspective.

I am just old enough to remember Geoff Blethyn playing. In that GF he was just 17 years of age, so remarkable effort really with snipers like Wes Lofts and Vin Waite lurking around the Carlton full back line.

Blethyn brought up the ton with 107 goals in 1972 so he was no slouch, but spent his prime in WA after a good job offer from memory.

Great spot this one. Another who puts Ablett's 9 of 42 goals into some perspective.

I am just old enough to remember Geoff Blethyn playing. In that GF he was just 17 years of age, so remarkable effort really with snipers like Wes Lofts and Vin Waite lurking around the Carlton full back line.

Blethyn brought up the ton with 107 goals in 1972 so he was no slouch, but spent his prime in WA after a good job offer from memory.
Ablett was absolutely bombarded with great passes in that last quarter but only managed 3 goals, Langford gave him a bath

Still an incredible effort and BOG by a mile but missed an opportunity to get his team over the line when he was at his peak imo

You dispute that Gary Ablett I is the 7th most successful footballer in his own family?
Why would I tale a stupid bait like that? It's irrelevant to the point of trolling. This board is for genuine discussions not trash.

Heres a relevant question: were you there in 1989? Ever seen Ablett play?

I watched many Grand Finals live in that era: 1984, 1985, (and maybe1987, but I may have been drunk), 1988-1991 and 1994. I saw champions like Brereton (repeatedly) Ayres (repeatedly) Matera and a whole gaggle of legends.

None of them came close to Ablett in 1989. Take it from someone who was there and doesn't like Ablett, and discard your laughable and childish opinion.

Why would I tale a stupid bait like that? It's irrelevant to the point of trolling. This board is for genuine discussions not trash.

Heres a relevant question: were you there in 1989? Ever seen Ablett play?

I watched many Grand Finals live in that era: 1984, 1985, (and maybe1987, but I may have been drunk), 1988-1991 and 1994. I saw champions like Brereton (repeatedly) Ayres (repeatedly) Matera and a whole gaggle of legends.

None of them came close to Ablett in 1989. Take it from someone who was there and doesn't like Ablett, and discard your laughable and childish opinion.

Ablett's 1989 Grand Final performance was one of the better ones. Just not the streets ahead of every other Grand Final performance the way some posters are imagining it. You being there to witness it doesn't make it a better performance than it was.

You think I am trolling because I like to add a few extra quirky facts to some of my posts. I am pretty sure that wouldn't meet the definition of trolling on this site, but if you feel strongly about it, report the post where you think I trolled and let the moderators sort it out.

He is the 7th most successful footballer in his family, that is a fact. Given his standing as a footballer, it is a remarkable fact. So imo, well worth bringing up, especially in a thread about Grand Final performances.

And I happen to think Ablett's 89 Grand Final performance is a bit over-rated by many, and this is a perfectly legitimate opinion to have and to express on this thread. He was a player of great physical capabilities though not in absolutely every sense(not great stamina.) That is about where it ended with Ablett.

In terms of seeing Ablett play, I did see him live plenty of times. If I had not missed 3 years of country footy there is a strong chance I would have played on him when he was at Drouin. My team-mates who did play against him said he was pretty good. I played against all of his brothers I think at different stages, Len, Geoff and Kevin. Geoff was totally cooked when I played against him but I saw the other pair kick torpedoes I could have sworn went about 80 metres. :)

Last edited:
Ablett's 1989 Grand Final performance was one of the better ones. Just not the streets ahead of every other Grand Final performance the way some posters are imagining it. You being there to witness it doesn't make it a better performance than it was.

You think I am trolling because I like to add a few extra quirky facts to some of my posts. I am pretty sure that wouldn't meet the definition of trolling on this site, but if you feel strongly about it, report the post where you think I trolled and let the moderators sort it out.

He is the 7th most successful footballer in his family, that is a fact. Given his standing as a footballer, it is a remarkable fact. So imo, well worth bringing up, especially in a thread about Grand Final performances.

And I happen to think Ablett's 89 Grand Final performance is a bit over-rated by many, and this is a perfectly legitimate opinion to have and to express on this thread. He was a player of great physical capabilities though not in absolutely every sense(not great stamina.) That is about where it ended with Ablett.

In terms of seeing Ablett play, I did see him live plenty of times. If I had not missed 3 years of country footy there is a strong chance I would have played on him when he was at Drouin. My team-mates who did play against him said he was pretty good. I played against all of his brothers I think at different stages, Len, Geoff and Kevin. Geoff was totally cooked when I played against him but I saw the other pair kick torpedoes I could have sworn went about 80 metres. :)

Geoff Ablett was an absolute star who doesn't get talked about enough in a football sense

Also the only player I can find who kicked more behinds than goals in ten consecutive years

Geoff Ablett was an absolute star who doesn't get talked about enough in a football sense

Also the only player I can find who kicked more behinds than goals in ten consecutive years

Not sure i would say Geoff Ablett was an absolute star, his career 21 Brownlow votes probably says otherwise. But he was a really good consistent winger for a long time. Played in 13 seasons and never kicked more goals than behinds once, really nice quirky stat from you CC. :)

I recall him winning several Grand Final sprints, he could move that is for sure. I would say the inaccuracy was largely a function of taking a lot of long shots at goal on the run more than anything else. If you look at some other wingers of the era, Stan Alves 174 goals 220 behinds in his career. Keith Grieg surprisingly only 48 goals but 57 behinds. Collingwood speedster Ricky Barham 140 goals 152 behinds. Tigers had a bloke called Wayne Walsh who played win 38 goals 55 behinds in his career. Saints geoff Cunningham 58 goals 75 behinds. There were wingers like Hawkins and Flower who did a lot better but they were top class kicks.

Geoff Ablett played in the Hawks 76 and 78 flags. He got 59 disposals and kicked 1.4 in his 3 Grand Finals 75, 76, 78.

Back