Best place to park $80,000?

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there any suggestions for 2022? Anything that's likely to perform better than USD will do.

Are there any suggestions for 2022? Anything that's likely to perform better than USD will do.
Very, very volatile situation at the moment. If it was short term I'd almost be tempted to park it in the highest interest savings account you can get.

high interest rates Very, very volatile situation at the moment. If it was short term I'd almost be tempted to park it in the highest interest savings account you can get.
IN parking the $80k what is considered to be high interest rates?

IN parking the $80k what is considered to be high interest rates?
Not much at the moment, but if it was needed for something like a house deposit in the shortish term, I dont think I'd want to be investing/risking money right now.

For anything less than 6 months I'd just google a 6 month term deposit and try and get the best I could. Or if the person has an offset account on their loan or something.

It depends when they need the money and what it's for.
If they need 80k to act as a deposit for an 800k purchase on a place this year, I'd be playing it safe ATM.

Not much at the moment, but if it was needed for something like a house deposit in the shortish term, I dont think I'd want to be investing/risking money right now.

For anything less than 6 months I'd just google a 6 month term deposit and try and get the best I could. Or if the person has an offset account on their loan or something.

It depends when they need the money and what it's for.
If they need 80k to act as a deposit for an 800k purchase on a place this year, I'd be playing it safe ATM.

If you need at least that amount of cash in 6 months time it sits in the bank. If you need that amount of cash in 5+ years time then it goes into stocks. Anyone throwing it into stocks for 6 months and expecting to have at least that amount at the end is an idiot.

I'd drip it into shares over the next 6 months, buying 3k a week of a broad EFT until it's all invested.

Geez, you paying a fortune in fees making 26 purchases rather than just buying it all in one transaction:

Fees paid:
Selfwealth $260
Nabtrade $390
Commbank $520

Geez, you paying a fortune in fees making 26 purchases rather than just buying it all in one transaction:

Fees paid:
Selfwealth $260
Nabtrade $390
Commbank $520

Questrade is advertised as free to purchase EFTs but it would be around $8…is Questrade not available in Australia?

That said if we take your numbers , what is $260 worth of transaction costs on 80k? Particularly if you get some piece of mind and potentially average cost down during these uncertain times, which you would have done ytd this year. Certainly better than an interest rate lower than inflation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questrade is advertised as free to purchase EFTs but it would be around $8…is Questrade not available in Australia?

That said if we take your numbers , what is $260 worth of transaction costs on 80k? Particularly if you get some piece of mind and potentially average cost down during these uncertain times, which you would have done ytd this year. Certainly better than an interest rate lower than inflation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard of Questrade, and they don't appear to be available in Australia.

Why pay $260 in fees when you can pay $10 in fees and buy it all at once? Staggering your buying has been shown to be less effective than lump sum investing during multiple examples why would you voluntarily pay $250 more fees which could otherwise be invested and receive a lower return when doing so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back