Best place to park $80,000?

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seems most higher interest bank accounts require monthly deposits...dont want to do that.
What other higher investment options would you suggest that I could consider?
Thanks.

HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
Kippax
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart
I'll look after it for you! Seriously though, the issue is 'park'. How you long are you looking to invest? what level of risk are you prepared to take on? If you are parking it because you settle on a new house in 3-6 months then you really wouldn't do anything else but look for the best term deposit/cash management a/c. Banks have blackboard specials that can pop up and give a higher rate than usual. If you are looking a longer term say a couple of years then some blue chips shares become a possibility. Bear in mind the golden rule that usually a higher return generally brings with it a higher risk. Good luck.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Wait for a post election correction of the ASX and buy in to an ETF like VAS.

Sep 30, 2012
The suburbs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, Ferrari, Minardi
I'll look after it for you! Seriously though, the issue is 'park'. How you long are you looking to invest? what level of risk are you prepared to take on? If you are parking it because you settle on a new house in 3-6 months then you really wouldn't do anything else but look for the best term deposit/cash management a/c. Banks have blackboard specials that can pop up and give a higher rate than usual. If you are looking a longer term say a couple of years then some blue chips shares become a possibility. Bear in mind the golden rule that usually a higher return generally brings with it a higher risk. Good luck.
I'm in a very similar boat and am looking to put the money into blue-chips for a couple of years. Im considering whether or not to look at the banks, Telstra or the mining sector.

What do you think?

Richmond B2B 2020.

Jokes. You should buy $80,000 worth of M&M's. Definitely the smarter option.

1572913286253.png

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
BHP a week ago.

Good dividend, with bonus dividends paid on occasions. Diverse mining operations and worldwide. Covers all bases.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are Vanguard, ETF investment's you could do. But it depends what you want to save for. House, retirement? etc;

Check out the sub on reddit r/fiaustralia it's quite informative and they people their are helpful.

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There are Vanguard, ETF investment's you could do. But it depends what you want to save for. House, retirement? etc;

Check out the sub on reddit r/fiaustralia it's quite informative and they people their are helpful.
The info and questions on this subreddit are repeated almost daily and it's hard to get into too much detail however the basic answers tend to be fundamentally fine.

Yeah index funds is the way to go, either managed funds or listed ETFs. The Diversified funds/ETFs give you a broad investment into domestic and intl shares, bonds, property, cash.

Spread it amongst High Growth, Growth, Balanced or Conservative depending of your goals.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
serious question: why wait? ar eyou expecting ETFs to drop price, post election?
You quoted an 8 month post which I made assuming an ALP victory. I have been buying parcels of VAS at the start of every financial year for 3 years and will continue to do so in future.

Back