Travel Best places in Victoria to visit?

Remove this Banner Ad

kyneton mt macedon woodend etc is a good day trip from melbourne - particularly in autumn early winter when you can see the autumn leaves.
add Castlemain and Trentham to that list

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
North East of Melbourne there's the Dandenongs, with the William Ricketts sanctuary reserve....Absolutely brilliant aboriginal sculptures carved out of wood there....Puffing Billy & Olinda also worth-while for a visit...Then there's the Yarra Valley heading up into Warburton too.

To the North West there's Mt. Macedon & hanging Rock; & if you continue on there's Mt. Alexander & then onto Bendigo with it's Gold Rush history.....From there you can head up to Echuca & see the old Paddle Steamers on the Murray.

Lake Eildon, due North of Melbourne is also great, especially for fishing & hiring house-boats....Mt. Buller & Jamieson, a little further on are also great to see.

If you do the Mornington Penninsula, then Cape Shank is A must....Arthur's Seat use to have a chair-lift, but I'm not sure if one is still there or not....You can also catch a ferry from Sorrento over to Queenscliff & then do the Bellarine Penninsula….Ocean Grove & Barwon Heads are quite nice to visit.

Phillip Island is good if you want a day trip, as the Bass highway is a pretty good run these days....Formula 1 & fairy penguins there....You can then carry on to South Gippy, through Wonthaggi & down into Wilson's Promontory....then head to Sale & the Lakes district....Marlo past Orbost is a beautiful little town & beach.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Whats Sorrento and surrounds like ?
Thinking about getting the ferry over there.

Yeah, the back beaches of Portsea & Sorrento are worth-while...London Bridge lookout & Diamonds Bay.....Then there's the Peninsula Hot Springs off Browns road & then you can continue down the Boneo road & onto Cape Schanck, which is quite rugged & lovely....You can then head back down the Flinders-Mornington road to Arthurs Seat & the Bayside of the Mornington Peninsular, where there's a lookout & back round to Sorrento to catch the Ferry home.

Family costs $44 return on the ferry....But if you want to take the car then its an extra $124 return.

There's 2 Ferries & they leave on the hour every hour from both ends.....They're a really good size now too....Might need to book head on the School holidays though.

Mornington Penninsula.

Point Nepean fort : good spot for a day out. You can see abit of old war things and explore the area inc lovely coast line and see where Harold Holt went missing.
You have a choice to drive to the car park and walk the rest of the way or get the bus costs $12.

Penninsula hot springs Great spot to relax and unwind you can spend the whole day there.
Tue to Thurs before 9AM for the cheap rates plus less people early in the morning.
Hill top spring great views up there.

Cape Schanck Good spot for little walk and photo opportunities checkout the rugged coast line and the near by light house.
windy AF when i was there, be prepared.
Fingal beach nearby aswell.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Authur seat is also worth doing great views from your air cage.
Even just a drive up the hill to get some snaps is worth it.

If you don't want to to the air cage $24 return.

Air-cage?....Is that what they call it these days?

When I was a lad, it was the chair-lifts & we got stuck up there for over an hour after a mechanical failure....and at the highest point off the ground too.

Air-cage?....Is that what they call it these days?

When I was a lad, it was the chair-lifts & we got stuck up there for over an hour after a mechanical failure....and at the highest point off the ground too.

This things.
Theres seats inside.
Cage not the right word to use.

images (1).jpeg

Merrysville.

Lovely storybook leafy town.
Steavenson falls worth a vist you can go right to the top , you only need average fittness to get there worth the climb.
Alot of the town is pretty new after the fire went though the town the surrounding area ten years ago.

The drive thought cocktoo and the famous Black spur drive are great drives.

Lady Talbot road closed where.
Kepple lookout ,Phantom falls,Taggerty cascade are located.

There is a trout farm at Buxton where do can catch a trout Or just feed them if you dont like fishing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillip island.

See the penguins its a night time event from 6 O'clock on wards pending on the season.
Theres is a cafe and bistro there.
The Penguins centre getting pretty big.

Nobbies board walk is worth a vist see the rugged coast line and landscape from the well maintained board walk.
You will find it just down the road from the penguin centre.

Churchill island is a afternoon event from about 2pm you need to be little bit before that.
You can milk a cow.
See whip cracking.
See Working dog(s).
See a sheep get shorn.
See mountain bulls etc.

The koala place near maze n things you can see Koala's and birds.

Check the web you get them in pack.
3 pack pass.

Helicopter flights.
Go karts at the Grand prix track.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just got back from Wilsons Prom - great spot.

Wasn't very busy even for school holidays, you have to camp or hire a cabin but we enjoy that.

Great beeches, tidal river is great for kids, good walks and views from mount oberon are very nice.

If you are a hiker then it would be a good spot as well, only way (I think) to get to the eastern side of the prom.

Just got back from Wilsons Prom - great spot.

Wasn't very busy even for school holidays, you have to camp or hire a cabin but we enjoy that.

Great beeches, tidal river is great for kids, good walks and views from mount oberon are very nice.

If you are a hiker then it would be a good spot as well, only way (I think) to get to the eastern side of the prom.

I wanted to go there.
But couldn't find any where to stay close the the prom.
Most places were 45mins _hour away.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Will go there another time.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I wanted to go there.
But couldn't find any where to stay close the the prom.
Most places were 45mins _hour away.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Will go there another time.

Yeah you have to camp, its a 30min drive from national park entrance to the main beaches/camp ground and not much else in between and the nearest 'town' is another 20mins away. and not much in that town.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Went for a holiday this year, huge fan of Picnic at Hanging Rock and genuinely had an amazing time at the rock and the wider Macedon Ranges region. Beautiful wine region and cute postcard towns like Woodend close by.

Also the Grampians was simply incredible also.

I love the Prom.
Spent many summers on the Mornington Peninsula which is good for a family holiday.
Gippsland Lakes are pretty good too.
Moyhu and the King Valley are interesting and in the heart of Kelly country. Have a beer with Ned at the Moyhu Hotel!

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I love the Prom.
Spent many summers on the Mornington Peninsula which is good for a family holiday.
Gippsland Lakes are pretty good too.
Moyhu and the King Valley are interesting and in the heart of Kelly country. Have a beer with Ned at the Moyhu Hotel!

Moyhu is very much off the beaten track....Quite literally the road to nowhere….I doubt most Victorians would have heard of it.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I went to Corryong a few weeks ago for the first time ever, stayed at the Colac Colac caravan park, pretty awesome It's that little part of Vic up in the north east that is actually north of Kosciuszko and the Snowys, had a beautiful view of the snow capped peaks.

You go to Wodonga and turn right and follow the road for about an hour and 20 mins or so.

We spent grand final day touring around part of the Snowy Hydro Scheme.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back