Best Player Acquisitions Of Recent Years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Cameron by a fair way for the lions. A few were unhappy with pick 12 but in hindsight it was a steal. Has transformed our forward line and would be in contention for the AA small forward spot. Absolute gun. And of course our great captain who is regaining form and had a cracker v the Hawks

Though Crows also did well getting Fogarty who looks like a gun.

Other teams
Gibbs adds some class to the Crows mid field
Melksham looking very good for the Dees

I completely disagree.

Such was the expense of recruiting Buddy, it came with an almost immediate flow on effect in relation to player retention, for a side that had finished no lower than seventh in the previous four seasons.

It was a significant move, designed to secure the Swans a flag, or quite frankly, multiple flags.

Whilst I agree with your contention that player acquisition cannot be judged on winning a flag alone, in the case of Buddy it is the single metric needed when assessing its success or failure.

In short, if the Swans fail to win a flag with Buddy, it was a poor list management decision.
It's an interesting opinion, though I couldn't disagree more. The Swans made two GF's with Buddy and had the list to win both of them. You can't blame one player for that, particularly when Buddy was in the Swan's best players on both occasions.

I've found it amusing that every player to leave Sydney in the past few years has been due to "Buddy's contract", whereas in the decades prior it was purely called list management. Sure, Sydney had finished no lower than 7th in the previous four seasons - and they've finished no lower than 6th since, including two GF's.

"It was a significant move, designed to secure the Swans a flag, or quite frankly, multiple flags." - This is a fan's mentality as opposed to a club mentality. Did Sydney hope to win a flag with Buddy? 100% yes. But you're telling me the only reason Sydney wanted the biggest name in the game to be locked away at their club for 9 years was to win a flag? It's a very shallow analysis that excludes the enormous off-field benefits of having that calibre of player on your list. You've only got to look at the Swans membership tally over the past 5 years to see the influence of recruiting Buddy.

I completely disagree.

Such was the expense of recruiting Buddy, it came with an almost immediate flow on effect in relation to player retention, for a side that had finished no lower than seventh in the previous four seasons.

It was a significant move, designed to secure the Swans a flag, or quite frankly, multiple flags.

Whilst I agree with your contention that player acquisition cannot be judged on winning a flag alone, in the case of Buddy it is the single metric needed when assessing its success or failure.

In short, if the Swans fail to win a flag with Buddy, it was a poor list management decision.
Actually as a Sydney resident I see his marketing value to the Swans. They've had strong membership growth in recent years and Buddy is pretty much the high profile AFL media story here

Hibberd has always been a gun and it’s great to see him back to his best. The change in club has been great for him, really seems to have freshened him up.

Melksham has surprised me, I never even considered him a forward threat, he was just an inconsistent midfielder for us. It’s a fantastic case of targeted recruiting by Goodwin who was apparently a huge fan of his when he was an Essendon assistant. He definitely saw something that a succession of Essendon coaches didn’t.
I think Goodwin initially wanted Melksham as a half back. The move forward has been a masterstroke. Has kicked something like 33 goals from him last 21 games.

It's an interesting opinion, though I couldn't disagree more. The Swans made two GF's with Buddy and had the list to win both of them. You can't blame one player for that, particularly when Buddy was in the Swan's best players on both occasions.

I've found it amusing that every player to leave Sydney in the past few years has been due to "Buddy's contract", whereas in the decades prior it was purely called list management. Sure, Sydney had finished no lower than 7th in the previous four seasons - and they've finished no lower than 6th since, including two GF's.

"It was a significant move, designed to secure the Swans a flag, or quite frankly, multiple flags." - This is a fan's mentality as opposed to a club mentality. Did Sydney hope to win a flag with Buddy? 100% yes. But you're telling me the only reason Sydney wanted the biggest name in the game to be locked away at their club for 9 years was to win a flag? It's a very shallow analysis that excludes the enormous off-field benefits of having that calibre of player on your list. You've only got to look at the Swans membership tally over the past 5 years to see the influence of recruiting Buddy.

Totally what Bunger said. Over 60K members this year. Obviously not due to Buddy, but no doubt he has been a factor in keeping us competitive both on and off the ground. When he was at the Hawks, even when he was helping beat the Pell out of us I had to laugh at some of the amazing things he did. Still laugh when I watch any game he plays. I'm sure many BF posters would feel the same.

Fitznerdrick showed on Foxy last week what he thought of it in recalling his abuse of Colless over Bud's recruitment - even tho it was entirely within the rules. Imagine how McGuire would have reacted had Fitznerdrick abused him for recruiting some player the AFL thought should go to Carlton.

The upshot has been the AFL and Prince Gill has subsequently punished the Bloods. COLA went to CollFC - see the Footy Show. Between 2014-17, we have recruited two players from other Clubs:

The terrific Edwards who I think was delisted from EFC and who we took as a rookie. Sadly now retired but was talented and greatly respected at our mob; and
Sinkers, who we exchanged for the Jetstar who wanted to return to Perth for family reasons.​

With the departure of Tippett we have three active players on our list we've recruited from other Clubs. We try and develop our own unlike some, not like several Vic clubs. (Looking at you Pies, Dons, Blues and if you could spend the dosh, North and Saints)

You're biased. ;) He's the 2nd best. Betts still the best. Does things other players simply cannot do. Few of his goals last week unbelievable in torrential rain.

You say 'currently', if we took say the last 5 games as currently, Betts has kicked 12, Cameron 8. Charlie playing well though, not surprising, he's learnt from the GOAT!

Breust has been better than both this season. Betts started the year slowly whilst Breust has been good every game so far.

Breust is playing in a team outside the 8 whose forwardline (and ball movement into it) is arguably the worst in the comp. Hawthorn is so slow bringing the ball in that the opposition have their entire team in defensive 50 nearly every time we go forward - which is why we are losing despite dominating the inside 50 count. Betts plays in a top 4 team with one of the best forwardlines in the comp.

Yet, Breust is 4th in the Coleman, has more assists than any of the top 100 goalkickers (4th in AFL) and has been getting more of the ball, more contested ball AND laying more tackles than Betts or any other small forward that I could find.

Betts was great in the wet last week though and has been a gun for years now.

This is the worst measurement criteria. Trades can only be considered a success if your team wins the flag?

Tom Mitchell looks to be a great pick up by Hawthorn, but if they don't win a flag then it's a bust? Tony Lockett was a fantastic import for the Sydney Swans, but we call that trade a bust because there was no flag?

The Buddy trade was a ridiculously good piece of business by the Swans, regardless of whether they win a flag or not.

You recruit the best player in the game with an already pretty good list ....sorry nothing short of flags I judge as a failure in this case ....

I’m still a footy traditionalist ....we still play for the flag each year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the guns the Hawks have brought in (and let's be honest there's been a few - Gunston, Lake, Mitchell, Hale, Gibson) there's one that stands head and shoulders above the rest - Shaun Burgoyne!
The impact he has had at Hawthorn has been absolutely immense.
We wouldn't have won half the close games we did without this guy. He has been that influential for us.

Absolutely amazing that he is in his 9th year at the Hawks when Clarko was hoping for 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Eddie Betts comes to mind.

For us, Elliot Yeo and Jack Redden have been amazing acquisitions. Both took their time to really blossom, but you're seeing it come to fruition now.

Must suck to be Brisbane. Plenty of good footballers have come and left that squad in recent times.

Lewis Jetta has also become a quality pick-up for us. Ups and downs but he's found his niche on our team. Really complements the backline with Hurn as well. Extremely valuable to have 2 raking snipers who can kick bullet 60m passes.

Sinclair has done well for Sydney too. I think so?

Tom Rockcliff is coming around now. Looks healthy. Killing the stats game.

I also think Callum Ah Chee is going to be another Yeo revelation for us in time. He's of the same mold physically. Playing at home like Elliot will help this tremendously.

Jetta and Redden were both seen as major busts a couple of months ago... now they're two of the best acquisitioms in recent years?!

Please... some major West Coast hyperbole going on at the moment.

Devon Smith has been great for us.

4 ex Sydney players mentioned here
Mitchell
Membrey
Nankervis
Jetta

We are happy to help where we can

Charlie Cameron by a fair way for the lions. A few were unhappy with pick 12 but in hindsight it was a steal. Has transformed our forward line and would be in contention for the AA small forward spot. Absolute gun. And of course our great captain who is regaining form and had a cracker v the Hawks

Though Crows also did well getting Fogarty who looks like a gun.

Other teams
Gibbs adds some class to the Crows mid field
Melksham looking very good for the Dees

The handful of Lions games I have watched he has been awesome. Great mark and great shot at goal.

You recruit the best player in the game with an already pretty good list ....sorry nothing short of flags I judge as a failure in this case ....

I’m still a footy traditionalist ....we still play for the flag each year
Isn't that the point? 18 teams give their all to win the flag and realistically there are 5-8 teams each year who are a genuine chance. It's a game of 22 per side so recruiting one big name, no matter how good, doesn't guarantee you will win a flag.

If the only criteria of a trade being a success is winning the flag, then we need to ridicule some of these other terrible moves:

Lockett to Sydney
Cazaly to South Melbourne
Buckley to Collingwood
Betts to Adelaide
Broderick to Richmond
Dangerfield/Caddy to Geelong
Yeo to West Coast
Thompson to Adelaide
Waite/Higgins to North
Lynch/Jenkins to Adelaide
Bell to Freo
Ablett to Suns
Martin to Lions
Schnieder/Dempster to St Kilda
Vince/Tyson to Melbourne
Along with every player who has been traded in by the Giants.
Etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back