Best player from the 2010 draft (weakest ever?)

Best player of the 2010 national draft?

• Pick 1 David Swallow

• 4 Andrew Gaff

• 8 Dyson Heppell*

• 9 Dion Prestia

• 11 Tom Lynch

• 19 Isaac Smith

• 26 Jack Darling

• 40 Luke Parker

• 66 Paul Puopolo

• 76 Paul Seedsman

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

How on earth does Dahlhaus get a game ahead of Puopolo?...Poppy has played 190 games to Dahl's 177, kicked 181 goals as compared to Dahl's 124 & played in 3 Premierships to Dahl's 1.....His numbers are superior to Dahl & you haven't even got him on the bench....Give it a rest.
Yes a forward has kicked more goals than a midfielder. Who woulda thunk it? Usually I don’t bite into the whole “average player in good team” schmuck but Puopolo I always felt fit that bill. He’s never been a big goal kicker contrary to his reputation nor has he ever been much more than a solid pressure player. Very happy to declare Dahlhaus the superior player, and 9/10 would agree.

Yes a forward has kicked more goals than a midfielder. Who woulda thunk it? Usually I don’t bite into the whole “average player in good team” schmuck but Puopolo I always felt fit that bill. He’s never been a big goal kicker contrary to his reputation nor has he ever been much more than a solid pressure player. Very happy to declare Dahlhaus the superior player, and 9/10 would agree.

Dahlhaus a midfielder?....Now I've heard all the feeble excuses....Poppy has been by far the better player over the journey.

My attempt at a side:

Tom Jonas - Steven May - Jeremy Howe
Brodie Smith - Jeremy McGovern - Michael Hibberd
Andrew Gaff - Dion Prestia - Isaac Smith
Luke Dahlhaus - Jack Darling - Jamie Cripps
Paul Puopolo - Tom Lynch - Charlie Dixon
Scott Lycett - Dyson Heppell - Tom Liberatore
David Swallow - Luke Parker - Josh Caddy - Mitch Wallis

Excellent draft for WC. Darling I went with
Darling a pretty clear #1 for me.
Interesting, even ignoring other teams it's debatable whether he is even the Eagles' best from this draft with Gaff in the poll. Does McGovern qualify? He'd be in contention for the Eagles too. It's certainly not clear cut.

Richmond nailed this draft with Lynch, Meatball and Caddy. A great haul
Marlion Pickett in this draft class as well.

Which raises the question, which draft year did Richmond do better in?

2006: Riewoldt, Edwards, Houli, Grigg
2007: Cotchin, Rance
2009: Martin, Grimes, Astbury, Lambert
2010: Lynch, Prestia, Caddy, Pickett

or

2014 rookie draft: Castagna, Short, Soldo (Lambert aged 23)

My attempt at a side:

Tom Jonas - Steven May - Jeremy Howe
Brodie Smith - Jeremy McGovern - Michael Hibberd
Andrew Gaff - Dion Prestia - Isaac Smith
Luke Dahlhaus - Jack Darling - Jamie Cripps
Paul Puopolo - Tom Lynch - Charlie Dixon
Scott Lycett - Dyson Heppell - Tom Liberatore
David Swallow - Luke Parker - Josh Caddy - Mitch Wallis
Only an Essendon supporter would name Heppell on the ball and Parker on the bench.

Only an Essendon supporter would name Heppell on the ball and Parker on the bench.
Only you would bitch about where players are named as if it has any bearing at all.

Darling a pretty clear #1 for me.

Don't know if he's a "clear #1", but very underrated nonetheless.

7 seasons of 100+ marks (plus another with 96), 6 seasons of 40+ goals (plus another with 39), 7 seasons of 10+ goal assists, 7 seasons of 50+ tackles. You'd be hard pressed to find any other player in the league who can check those same boxes, especially while still presumably having a couple of prime years left.

On comfortable pace to become a 300 game, 600 goal player, already having 196 games and 378 goals at age 27.

Lol. Why name a side at all then? And why name Heppell on the ball and name superior options on the bench?
Because I felt like it? Why are you so worked up about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the answer was pretty obvious - Parker, the closest to superstar on the list.
2nd in the 2016 Brownlow and a couple of Swan BnF's and an AA. Lynch probably the most "valuable" due to position. Can understand why people voted Lynch, but Parker is better than Gaff IMHO. They all probably have another 3 peak years, can see Lynch & Parker building on their legacy.

Parker
Lynch
Gaff
Darling
Heppell

Agree with that top 5.

Last edited:
This is my best 22 from this draft, including all three drafts as well as GC's zone selections

B: Tom Jonas (RD Pick 16) – Jeremy McGovern (RD Pick 44) - Michael Hibberd (PSD Pick 4)
HB: Jeremy Howe (Pick 33) – Steven May (Zone selection) – Brodie Smith (Pick 14)
C: Andrew Gaff (Pick 4) – Dion Prestia (Pick 9) – Isaac Smith (Pick 19)
HF: Luke Dahlhaus (RD Pick 22) – Tom J. Lynch (Pick 11) – Jamie Cripps (Pick 24)
F: Josh Caddy (Pick 7) – Jack Darling (Pick 27) – Josh Jenkins (RD Pick 12)
R: Charlie Dixon (Zone selection) – Dyson Heppell (Pick 8) – Luke Parker (Pick 40)
I: Tom Liberatore (Pick 41) – Tom McDonald (Pick 53) – David Swallow (Pick 1) – Jared Polec (Pick 5)

There's no semi-decent ruck from this draft so I just put Dixon in there. Jarryd Lyons, Jason Johannisen Paul Puopolo, Cam Guthrie and Rory Thompson among those stiff to miss.

Not a draft decked with stars but it's a pretty deep one with lots of serviceable fellas going around.

Won a Norm Smith medal. Think he just absolutely NEEDS to be in there.

Back