Best player from the 2016 Draft?

Best player from the 2016 Draft?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Cornes -Port Adelaide Hall of Famer Kane Cornes went one step further than Watson, describing the Richmond utility as “the best player in the game right now”.

I don't think Tom Stewart has ever been called 'the best player in the game'

You’re the one that said “let’s see who’s all Australian”. That was your metric, not mine.

Stop moving the goal posts. It’s fine to say Bolton is currently the best player from the 2016 draft but who has been the best overall to date is Stewart, which is the premise of this thread.

You’re the one that said “let’s see who’s all Australian”. That was your metric, not mine.

Stop moving the goal posts. It’s fine to say Bolton is currently the best player from the 2016 draft but who has been the best overall to date is Stewart, which is the premise of this thread.
The premise of the thread is who is the best player from the draft.
It's obviously Bolton easily .People keep saying it's McCluggsge, Stewart or some other only because a Richmond supporter started the thread.

The premise of the thread is who is the best player from the draft.
It's obviously Bolton easily .People keep saying it's McCluggsge, Stewart or some other only because a Richmond supporter started the thread.
It's not obviously Bolton at all..

It's Bolton right now but I suspect that's because Stewart has been suspended. Enough of the woe is me rubbish from Richmond supporters, Bolton is fantastic and could very well be the best of this draft but he's not done anything to create a case for that, where as Stewart, being a THREE time All Australian (of which Kane Cornes is a part of selecting) has done so.

It's Bolton right now but I suspect that's because Stewart has been suspended. Enough of the woe is me rubbish from Richmond supporters, Bolton is fantastic and could very well be the best of this draft but he's not done anything to create a case for that, where as Stewart, being a THREE time All Australian (of which Kane Cornes is a part of selecting) has done so.
Stewart was a mature-aged recruit, Bolton has ten years to play.
Getting 30 votes out of 208 votes is a joke.
You might just have to admit you got this one wrong.

Stewart was a mature-aged recruit, Bolton has ten years to play.
Getting 30 votes out of 208 votes is a joke.
You might just have to admit you got this one wrong.
You are the one that created the thread and you literally said the discussion was inclusive of mature age recruits.

How dull are you.

You are the one that created the thread and you literally said the discussion was inclusive of mature age recruits.

How dull are you.
It wouldn't matter what Bolton did, people will still bag him and chose someone else.
He'll finish with more All-Australians than Stewart who racks up stats at Kardinia Park which don't mean much.

See its statements like this , that make it very difficult to take what you say seriously .

Firstly Bolton has played in two flags, as a 20 and 21 yr old

Secondly he has coaches votes in the 2020 finals series, so he was a key player in that flag for sure.

Thirdly he plays the most difficult position on the ground MID/FWD, and he is without a doubt the best player in the league at this position

He is 4th in total score involvements while being 13th in centre clearances, while also being top 20 in the league for total goals

Now Tom Stewart is for sure, one of the best half bank flankers of the last 10 years, but there is a reason why he never goes forward, and why he never gets a chance to play on ball, the reason is he can't .

On the other hand McCluggage is a very good comparison

Same age, play a similar position, Bolton plays more forward, so Clug gets more of the ball, but ultimately, they average the same amount of clearances as each other 3.8 per game. But this is where the comparison ends, Bolton averages 1 more CC per game, 1.5 more SI per game, 1 goal more per game, and .5 more CP.

McCluggage is a great player, Bolton is just way better, more dangerous, more dynamic, a better centre square onballer, a serious aerial threat, involved in more scores, and kicking more goals.

See its statements like this , that make it very difficult to take what you say seriously .

Secondly he has coaches votes in the 2020 finals series, so he was a key player in that flag for sure.

Thirdly he plays the most difficult position on the ground MID/FWD, and he is without a doubt the best player in the league at this position

He is 4th in total score involvements while being 13th in centre clearances, while also being top 20 in the league for total goals

Now Tom Stewart is for sure, one of the best half bank flankers of the last 10 years, but there is a reason why he never goes forward, and why he never gets a chance to play on ball, the reason is he can't .

Same age, play a similar position, Bolton plays more forward, so Clug gets more of the ball, but ultimately, they average the same amount of clearances as each other 3.8 per game. But this is where the comparison ends, Bolton averages 1 more CC per game, 1.5 more SI per game, 1 goal more per game, and .5 more CP.

McCluggage is a great player, Bolton is just way better, more dangerous, more dynamic, a better centre square onballer, a serious aerial threat, involved in more scores, and kicking more goals.
I’m guessing you missed the part where I have said Bolton is the second best from the draft and could very well end up as the best overall but if you’re drawing it right now based on what’s been done, it’s Stewart.

If Stewart is ineligible because of his age it is Bolton because of the very things you listed but those things alone don’t put him ahead right now.

It wouldn't matter what Bolton did, people will still bag him and chose someone else.
He'll finish with more All-Australians than Stewart who racks up stats at Kardinia Park which don't mean much.
I should clarify, if you asked me who I wanted for the right now, Shai Bolton by a country mile.

However, I am still bullish on Tim Taranto. Though, he is dropping in my equations. I viewed Shai as a bit of an outside player who could run through the middle and had excellent goal sense. Like a Zac Fisher++ or something. Now I'm viewing him as more like a Judd that starts from half forward. He has this insane burst and steps through traffic with so much confidence.

The thing with Shai is he will hurt you eventually because he creates so many opportunities for himself to impact the game.

Happy to admit I got it wrong in my original estimation. Shai is the best player in the hardest position in the game.

Did they unban ya from 16 draft thread yet?

Champion Data rates Bolton as the most impactful player in the AFL with 45 per cent of his disposals part of a scoring chain, streets ahead of Marcus Bontempelli.

Champion Data rates Bolton as the most impactful player in the AFL with 45 per cent of his disposals part of a scoring chain.
He is the No. 1 ranked mid-forward for goals and score involvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everybody in here still sleeping on Harry Morrison?

Get with it.

This is kinda funny as McCluggage is leading Bolton in Coaches votes this year and beat him last year as well.

So on this measure you are agreeing that McCluggage > Bolton ;)
yep on exposed form and performance you would be correct.

Lets see what happens from hereon shall we.

Pretty confident on my boys upside just quietly

Did you watch the game where they went head to head last week.

This should pretty much put the debate to rest don't you think ?

yep on exposed form and performance you would be correct.

Lets see what happens from hereon shall we.

Pretty confident on my boys upside just quietly

Did you watch the game where they went head to head last week.

This should pretty much put the debate to rest don't you think ?
Yes was at the ground and to be honest I was shocked at how little defensive effort we put into Bolton. Was poor coaching IMO. Everyone should know he has been one of the biggest threats. I was pretty annoyed when Bolton was in the forward line our defenders starting about 10-15m off him. We gave a dangerous forward way way too much space for basically the whole game.

There were a couple of contests that I think McCluggage went head to head against Bolton. But I think Bolton looked much more damaging when on the HFF than purely in the middle

Yes was at the ground and to be honest I was shocked at how little defensive effort we put into Bolton. Was poor coaching IMO. Everyone should know he has been one of the biggest threats. I was pretty annoyed when Bolton was in the forward line our defenders starting about 10-15m off him. We gave a dangerous forward way way too much space for basically the whole game.

There were a couple of contests that I think McCluggage went head to head against Bolton. But I think Bolton looked much more damaging when on the HFF than purely in the middle

This is why people get confused

Bolton played very little in the square but still ended up with the second most CC of any player on the ground , 4, Clug had 1.

He is very dangerous at both, but, getting involved in scores win matches, and anyone that can do that, has to play up forward, its too rare and too valuable to ignore.

The emphasis on how little it appears that the oppo try to stop Bolton is also wrong
Every club blocks him, scrags him, and tries to manhandle him, it happens every week, problem is they can't stop him because he is too agile, too quick, and just too good.

If Bolton wasn't the best mid/fwd in the league, he would play 100% of the game in the square and be the best mid in the league.

That's why he is better than Clug, because he can and does do both job, better.

This is why people get confused

Bolton played very little in the square but still ended up with the second most CC of any player on the ground , 4, Clug had 1.

He is very dangerous at both, but, getting involved in scores win matches, and anyone that can do that, has to play up forward, its too rare and too valuable to ignore.

The emphasis on how little it appears that the oppo try to stop Bolton is also wrong
Every club blocks him, scrags him, and tries to manhandle him, it happens every week, problem is they can't stop him because he is too agile, too quick, and just too good.

If Bolton wasn't the best mid/fwd in the league, he would play 100% of the game in the square and be the best mid in the league.

That's why he is better than Clug, because he can and does do both job, better.
No it was very clear that Brisbane bizarrely put incredibly little defensive pressure on Bolton in this game. And good on him Bolton capitalised and put on a good performance.

And McCluggage also plays multiple roles mid, back and forward. So he plays more roles than Bolton and therefore is better (pretty easy to say that).

And as you have also agreed already that McCluggage has and is currently a better player (as seen by the coaches).

Back