Best player per team in AFL era (1990-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best is partly subjective. You can go by stats, but a lot of a player's skill and influence is more qualitative. For West Coast it's hard to say, but Cousins and Judd could break open games. Peter Matera, Sumich, Jackovich, Darren Glass, McGovern, heck even JK, Hurn, Yeo, are among the most important.

Adelaide - Mark Riciutto
Brisbane/Fitzroy - Michael Voss
Carlton - Stephen Kernahan
Collingwood - Nathan Buckley
Essendon - James Hird
Fremantle - Matthew Pavlich
Geelong - Gary Ablett Snr
Gold Coast - Gary Ablett Jnr
GWS - Josh Kelly
Hawthorn - Sam Mitchell
Melbourne - Jim Stynes
North Melbourne - Wayne Carey
Port Adelaide - Gavin Wanganeen
Richmond - Dustin Martin
St Kilda - Robert Harvey
Sydney - Paul Kelly
Western Bulldogs - Chris Grant
West Coast - Chris Judd

Yep, though my clear memory of it (sitting on the grandstand wing in the sun at Waverley) is that he also missed one early from the goal square. Haven't checked the tape to see if that actually happened.

Just looking at the stats, can't remember what the deal was with Ablett that day but he only had 6 touches. I do remember that he ran through Burkey and David Grant, gave both of them concussion.

Was the year that Ablett retired for half the season.

The whole “had the 50 to themselves” comment shows the poster didn’t watch footy back then. I recall seeing Plugger being manned directly by two opponents, with others upfield clearly directed to drop into the hole. He still kicked a bag.

Agree. Carey would dominate in today’s game. Never seen a player pick games up and move them like he could. Sticks would be just fine; a mobile 197cm KPF, who could read the play superbly. I’m not sure where Dunstall would play, but that man had an uncanny ability to find the goals. Ablett would be a phenomenon just as he was when he played. On pure ability, I’ve yet to see a player as good. The only question on him and Lockett for me would be their level of professionalism as young fellas. Not sure they’d have appreciated meeting the demands of the modern footballer.
It just wouldn't happen because of who he was but could you possbily imagine what a dedicated modern orientated GA snr would do to mortals these days? Even Tom Hafey let him slack off at training. That's the same Tom Hafey that trained Collingwood hard between GF's in 1977.

The ones in brackets are the players I found hard to split between.

Adelaide - Andrew McLeod
Brisbane/Fitzroy - Michael Voss
Carlton - Chris Judd (Diesel and Kouta)
Essendon - James Hird
Geelong - Gary Ablett Snr (Garry Jnr)
GWS - Jeremy Cameron
Hawthorn - Jason Dunstall
Melbourne - Garry Lyon (Stynes)
Richmond - Matthew Richardson
St Kilda - Robert Harvey (Lockett and Riewoldt)
Sydney - Tony Lockett (Goodes)
West Coast - Dean Cox (Cousins and Judd)

Diesel Williams’ 1994 was better. Had to wait until the following year to snag a Norm Smith, but that’s a team driven thing, not individual. He won everything that year, all media awards, even won Lou’s handball Grand Final. All Australian captain to boot. Ablett in 1993 was just crazy good as well, a whole other level to Dusty. I didn’t see Matthews in 77’, but statistically that’s just insane. Carey in 96’.

Probably more realistic to say Dusty’s 2017’ season was potentially the best season for individual accolades in history.

Sure. But a lot of people think Houli should have won the Norm Smith. Me included. Houli was brilliant all day. Dusty hit his straps after the game was won.

Dunstall, Hodge, Mitchell, Crawford, Buddy, Gibbo, Burgoyne, Lake... bloody hell we had some players.

Dusty and Richo my top 2 for Richmond. Maybe Richo on top for now. He carried a crap team for so long.

As for Lockett or Roo.... Roo based on the timeframe. Lockett way ahead if total career.

Geelong have plenty of choices too. The Abletts, Scarlett, Enright, Stevie J and Bartel before his staging years.

Definitely not as cut and dried as people think.

Best as in most talented, most dominant, biggest aura, best over that specific period of tIme?

Williams was a genius and he was dominant but it was just over 100 games for us. Yeah, we did get our last flag out of it but other candidates were also a part of that.

Kouta had probably our best single season for a player in that time and talent wise could have been our best ever if not injured. Every bit as dominant as Diesel at his best.

Longevity and consistency wise at an extremely high level, Bradley is right up there.

Sticks as a leader and spearhead was inspirational. Fev was a freak.

Judd just an out and out gun who didn't have the talent around him so did it himself.

For me though, Silvagni is the one. He was at the peak of his powers come 1990. An incredible defender in a golden age of forwards and a dominant forward in his own right when switched up there. Talent, longevity, aura and favourite son. He had it all.

Highly subjective though.
I was also going to name Silvagni, the guy was a legend. A great fullback who could also go forward.

I don't know any other Full Backs that could kick ten goals in a half of football.

No potentially about it, it's simply not.
Norm Smith. Brownlow (with 36 votes, highest ever in one season). Premiership. B&F. Leigh Matthews Trophy/Player's Association MVP.

He'd be in the discussion.Unless you have some special insight into the sport that Leigh Matthews lacks given that it was he that suggested Martin's individual season was as good as anyone's in the history of the sport.

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/rowey-bicks/Lethal-s-Absolutely-Massive-Call-On-Dustin-Martin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scary to think of. No one playing today has his level of ability or physical attributes.
Nic Nat is as good an athlete but nowhere near as good a footballer.
Wait until the generation of Sudanese that grow up with football come thought the system.

Adelaide - Andrew McLeod
Brisbane/Fitzroy - Michael Voss, could equally argue for Simon Black.
Carlton - [Greg Williams]
Collingwood - Scott Pendlebury, Buckley pretty close
Essendon - Matthew Lloyd
Geelong - Gary Ablett Snr
GWS - Josh Kelly
Hawthorn - Luke Hodge,with Dunstall, Mitchell both arguably as good.
Melbourne - Garry Lyon
Richmond - Matthew Richardson from Dusty Martin
St Kilda - Tony Lockett from Robert Harvey and Nick Riewoldt
Sydney - Paul Kelly as the best on field leader of the AFL era from Tony Lockett and Adam Goodes
West Coast - Peter Matera from Judd, Jakovich and Cousins

Adelaide - Andrew McLeod / Mark Ricutto
Brisbane - Michael Voss
Carlton - Diesel Williams / Chris Judd
Essendon - James Hird
Fremantle - Mathew Pavlich
Geelong - Ablett (you pick)
Gold Cost - Ablett Jr
Hawthorn - Buddy / Crawford / Mitchell / Hodge ( I can't split them)
Melbourne - Jim Stynes
North - Duck
Port - Gavin Wanganeen
Richmond - Matty Richardson / Nick Reiwaldt
St Kilda - Lockett
Sydney - Kelly / Goodes /Buddy ( I can't split them )
West Coast - Cousins / Judd / Cox / Jackovich / P Matera / McKenna / Priddis ( I can't split them)
Bulldogs - Grant

Not sure why everyone is saying Buddy is it for Hawthorn. Not a wrong choice per se as he is obviously an all time great but I would struggle to have him top 3 for Hawthorn.

I'd have Mitchell, Dunstall and Hodge before him personally.

90's only Dunstall vs Hawthorn Franklin is a good debate though.

Dunstall v Franklin
160 odd games v 189
777 goals v 580
2 B&F's v 1
2 AA's v 4
1 Coleman v 2

Dunstall with a fair few more goals (higher tallies in his era though) and an extra B&F but Franklin with an extra Coleman and 2 AA's (though Dunstall's competition in Lockett and Ablett Snr made AA's and Colemans much harder to win). Dunstall was also an MVP winner and captain for 4 years in this period.

For mine, 90's only Dunstall shades Hawthorn Franklin (though maybe its hard to forget Dunstall entererd the 90's off back to back flags, back t back 130+ goal seasons, back to back Colemans and back to back B&F's).

I tend to agree with most of what you say. Buddy can be a little overrated when compared to other hawks imo. Before Buddy, in what I have read and seen, I’d have Peter Husdson, Leigh Mathews, Jason Dunstall, Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Cyril Rioli, Shane Crawford, Kelvin Moore, Peter Knights, Chris Langford and Peter Curren before Buddy.
Of the 90’s to now, Buddy would definitely be in the top 10 of hawthorn players, but I’m doubtful if I would have him in my top 5.

Adelaide Andre McLeod. 2 x Normie excellent player.
Brisbane Voss for me. Great leader, you could have thrown him anywhere and he would have excelled.
Carlton Diesel for me. Class him as the best midfielder I have ever seen. Hardly ever wasted a possession.
Essendon: does have to be Hird :(
Fremantle Pavlich is hard to go past
Geelong from a hawthorn supporter perspective Chapman and Ling. Understand why people would choose the 2 Gary’s though.
Gold Coast Gary Jnr.
GWS. Jeremy Cameron just beats out Cognilio and Whitfield.
Hawthorn: Hodge same reasons as Voss. You can’t teach the skills that both Voss and Hodge had.
Melbourne Dean Bailey (jokes) Jim Stynes, still the best Irish import.
North Carey pretty obvious.
Richmond I’ll give it to Richo
St.Kilda Robert Harvey
Sydney Tony Lockett. Paul Kelly second, Buddy third.
Western Bulldogs Chris Grant
West Coast Ben Cousins. Lifted those around him, even if he was half-cut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back