Best players in Country Vic

Remove this Banner Ad

hey guys, new member. would have to agree with tige19, james scambler is one of the most damaging players i have had the pleasure (or pain ;) ) of playing against. His left boot is one of the most impressive also.

I know Jimmy quite well and have played alot of footy with him in the past, is as damaging as anyone you will see when he turns onto his left peg. Can take a fair grab as well, lighting quick to. Is he at Birchip again?

Different players mate, Sergie would have 35 touches lay 10 tackels and kick 5 from the midfield. Danny Jordan will take 15 grabs kick 8 and take 5 or 6 screamers just for fun, both are guns but Jordan is a class above anything ive seen at local level.
I realize there 2 different players mate, just stated who i'd prefer in there prime... Obviously DJ now but would have had sergie 3-4 yrs ago.

Different players mate, Sergie would have 35 touches lay 10 tackels and kick 5 from the midfield. Danny Jordan will take 15 grabs kick 8 and take 5 or 6 screamers just for fun, both are guns but Jordan is a class above anything ive seen at local level.

The reason I would pick Power is that he went to another level. Jordan won the 2's B&F in the WAFL and struggled to get a game with the VFL Cats.

Power won the B&F for West Adelaide and was named in the SANFL and VFL (with North Ballarat) teams of the year.

I'm going to throw up a name..... Beau Sheils. In my limited experience in Country Footy he stands out as the best i've seen. Maybe it's only because I had the pleasure of training with him 2ce a week - if anyone played AGAINST him or watched him from the sidelines feel free to comment here.

They reckon a few years ago at Huntly (granted in a average team) he averaged well over 40 touches a game. Played alot when he was younger at CHB, but his game came to a new level once put on the ball. Super fit & quick, great skills, kicked freakish goals & I remember when i was 16 seen him take one of the biggest hangers i've ever seen.

The story goes that he had Port Adelaide after him when he was 18 or 19 but the 2nd game they were watching him play he tore his achiles. Then the next year got a few runs with Collingwood, few of the Huntly boys went and watched him & apparently ripped it up down there - but after a few weeks of traveling down & back to train with the pies decided it wasn't for him. Not sure what he is doing this year, but think he re-hurt his shoulder or something last year a few games in whilst playing with Sth in the BFL - Thoughts gents?

The reason I would pick Power is that he went to another level. Jordan won the 2's B&F in the WAFL and struggled to get a game with the VFL Cats.

Power won the B&F for West Adelaide and was named in the SANFL and VFL (with North Ballarat) teams of the year.
Agree KA.

Glenn Antonio would be one of the best footballers i have seen in the country. Turn a game on his head. Played for Ararat and Tatyoon. Great to watch.
Scott Astbury was the best player i hav ever seen in a lower league. Won numerous B&F's at Tatyoon and went to Ararat for one year and won their B&F. Best mark i have seen.

Glenn Antonio would be one of the best footballers i have seen in the country. Turn a game on his head. Played for Ararat and Tatyoon. Great to watch.
Scott Astbury was the best player i hav ever seen in a lower league. Won numerous B&F's at Tatyoon and went to Ararat for one year and won their B&F. Best mark i have seen.

Would have to agree with you about Glenn Antonio ther Zanderm! he is a freak of a player!! Best i have ever seen!
Also would have to throw the name of Paul McLoughlan in there! very under rated but will average 30 possesions a game for his team! class act

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just while your talking mininera here zanderm what about that guy from rovers that wears number five, not a bad player at all, but heard he loves himself...................????

The Mornington Peninsula league had a few good players represent VFL/AFL - John Coleman, Leigh Matthews, Dermott Brereton, Robert Harvey and Gerard Healy - just to name a few...

The best Country footballer I have ever seen was from Mornington, Simon Goosey.

Some basic stats kicked 1500 goals, including 10 season hauls of 100 or more.

Represented Country Victoria on several occassions and was one of the first picked every year at Full Forward and also made the Australian Squad .

Also kicked a couple in the AFL Legends game.

Absolute legend and without doubt one of the best to play Country Football.:D :D :D

one of the best i've ever seen is a kid called xavier moloney, only 20 but has the best skill and read the play better than anyone i've ever seen. been playin for ballarat roosters for last two years but is back at this home club terang/mortlake this year. played in a granny for them about 3 years back when he was 17 and got 40 possessions and was best on...was a pleasure to wacth and stiff not to get drafted. if those who know of him dont rate him among the best already, they will after this year. this kid makes footy look to easy:thumbsu:

Rob Walker won 12 Wang Rovers FC senior B & F's, one reserves B & F (as a 16 year old), 5 OMFL B & F Morris Medals, Played as a centre half forward from 1986 to 1996 before switching to a ruck rover !

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gault
another player not to crack a mention is robbie walker from wangaratta rovers in he o and m to win 3 or 5 league medals when the o and m was the best league in country vic you have to be a quality player

Probably best we don't start talking about Robbie Walker as we'll kill this thread. Someone out there will know the exact number of league medals, B&F's, inter-league appearances etc. He wouldn't have too many peers.

In fact, Walker should have his own thread titled "Best Player in Country Vic".

Brad was a very, very good Wodonga FC & O & M player, very hard at the ball & a great leader.

He actually only won 4 WFC B & F's (not 7 in a row ) in - 1998,99, 2002 & 03 (from - www.wondongafc.vcfl.com.au)

Still, 4 senior O & M B & F's is a bloody good effort !

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT
Not sure where he will be playing..but goes real well

another from OMFL not playing here now in melb...is Brad Thompson from Wodonga Bulldogs - 7 Best and Fairest in a row, played alot of country rep games as well as Vic country...26 years old, 6' 4'' plays CHB, CHF and on ball ---now playing in melb now for HUGE $$$$$$

Brad Thompson.. saw him play a lot of his juniors at wodonga. Played in a junior side with some very handy players. i remember a few names that all played with or against each other through out their juniors. A few names that were handy around that era were... Adam pearce, Luke true, Darren Bradshaw, Brett Connors and both Fraser Gehrig and Daniel Bradshaw were around back then.

best player i've seen was craig sholl at echuca (does he count?)
rhys archard would be up there.
did anyone see a guy called wade gillingham play?

bathy mac.....seen wayde play once in 1986 g/f aganist union...kicked 9 got best on....made it to geelong as a 19 yr old was on senior list and set to play league footy....was struck down with a severe knee injury that required a total knee reco and went back home to play...another thing, this man is my father

This year without doubt will be Ben Haynes, kicked 12 goals playing in the midfield against Clayton on the weekend.

hey guys... i'm new to this forum and thought id give my insight to who i think are the best country footballers going around.

on pure talent i dont think i can go past a guy called Robert 'Sonny' Lindsey. Sonny played at ouyen last year and kicked over 100 goal as a roaming forward. kicked about 9 in the grand final against the league bnf winner that year. he played with 3 wimmera league club and was freakish for those 3-4 years. originally from mildura way i believe but staying at ouyen this year. in his younger days at nhill he was a loose cannon but i believe he has calmed down a bit and is committing to his footy a bit more now. absolute freak who can win a game in 5 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back