Best players in Country Vic

Remove this Banner Ad

Glen Wilkinson former SMW Rovers player is by far the best thing i've ever seen grace the fild in country football should've been state or even AFL level

Lincoln Wellington..not sure where he plays now - somewhere near shepperton and Robert 'sonny' Lindsey.

Ben Davis from Rutherglen & Aaron Purcell from Yackandandah would be up there at the moment

Craig Tafft from Corowa/Rutherglen would have to be one of the best CHB the Ovens & Murray League has seen in the last 10 Years

Ben Davis from Rutherglen & Aaron Purcell from Yackandandah would be up there at the moment
While they might be fine players running around in district leagues, Purcell has mainly been a big fish in a small pond (bar a couple of years at Lavi) playing in bush leagues, while Davis couldn't get a regular game at Wodonga:thumbsdown:

hey guys... i'm new to this forum and thought id give my insight to who i think are the best country footballers going around.

on pure talent i dont think i can go past a guy called Robert 'Sonny' Lindsey. Sonny played at ouyen last year and kicked over 100 goal as a roaming forward. kicked about 9 in the grand final against the league bnf winner that year. he played with 3 wimmera league club and was freakish for those 3-4 years. originally from mildura way i believe but staying at ouyen this year. in his younger days at nhill he was a loose cannon but i believe he has calmed down a bit and is committing to his footy a bit more now. absolute freak who can win a game in 5 minutes.

SONNY FOR P.M!!!!

one of the best i've ever seen is a kid called xavier moloney, only 20 but has the best skill and read the play better than anyone i've ever seen. been playin for ballarat roosters for last two years but is back at this home club terang/mortlake this year. played in a granny for them about 3 years back when he was 17 and got 40 possessions and was best on...was a pleasure to wacth and stiff not to get drafted. if those who know of him dont rate him among the best already, they will after this year. this kid makes footy look to easy:thumbsu:
thats funny cos i remember the terang mortlake granny 3 years and i think a young man named danny stone was adjudged best on ground in the grand final...thoughts on that? maybe i have the year after???

Rob Walker won 12 Wang Rovers FC senior B & F's, one reserves B & F (as a 16 year old), 5 OMFL B & F Morris Medals, Played as a centre half forward from 1986 to 1996 before switching to a ruck rover !

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gault
another player not to crack a mention is robbie walker from wangaratta rovers in he o and m to win 3 or 5 league medals when the o and m was the best league in country vic you have to be a quality player

Probably best we don't start talking about Robbie Walker as we'll kill this thread. Someone out there will know the exact number of league medals, B&F's, inter-league appearances etc. He wouldn't have too many peers.

In fact, Walker should have his own thread titled "Best Player in Country Vic".
Rob Walker clearly one of the best ever to play country football.

Best I've seen - Dale Bligh and Paul McLoughlan (Ararat FC), Mal Adams (Horsham United FC), David Johns (Horsham FC).

Never seen a player with such calm and classy disposal as Bligh, while McLoughlan used to pick up 40 touches a game, was fearless in contests and always inspired his teammates with the way he went about his footy.

Adams is somewhere in between the styles of Bligh and McLoughlan, fearless leader, classy player. Johns is simply the most dominant forward I've ever seen, his presence scares the crap out of his opposition.

Best I've heard of - Jim Knight (Lake Bolac FC) Five WJ Lewis best and fairest medals in the Mininera and District Football League...Pretty awesome record.
I think his brother (Murray?) won a couple and his son (?) Stuart won three league B&Fs himself.

Jason Mifsud (Caramut FC) 200 goals in a season is a pretty awsome effort

Honerable mentions
That I've seen: Casper Cosson (Stawell FC), Jason Keays (Tatyoon FC), Glenn Antonio (Ararat/Tatyoon).
That I've heard about: Jim Bonner (Ararat FC), Leo Mooney (Ararat/Willaura).

Will just rattle of a few honourable mention sorta names, and see how this post goes from there. In no particular order:
Dean Bennett would have to have been one of the best footballers in country victoria, absolute sensation but retired now
Jarrod Arentz should be well in the mix. Solid bloke who kicks goals upon goals! Not overly quick, but a great footballer.
Shane Harvey, now playing for Wakool in the GRFL. Is rite up there in the goal kickers in the state this season. Watched him play a 2nd Semi last year, he only kicked a lazy 12 and quite rightfully so played AFL
Glenn Smith is a reknown footballer in the Golden Rivers & Central Murray. By reading in the paper has been best on ground near every game this year for Nullawil and is coaching the team. Seen him play at Lake Boga, still young but a class act.
Robbie Lee still playing now, and still rite up there in the best players most weeks for Birchip Watchem. Known for always wearing a helmet, and if u have seen the bloke hit a pack and take on a player u'll understand why. Nearly looses that thing every week! Has been a class act and will continue to do so for a few more years

yeah he is buddy. he is skinny though but is still a gun player

heathcote league
lawrince angwin is a freak alright...not in a goodway though. he was good at broadford,when he showed up. i saw him play on 3 occasions. twice he was completely out of it and couldnt buy a kick(or win a ruck contest gta) and the other time he was best on ground by a mile.... the 1st two games may of had something to do with why he got the arse from carlton...?? oh, dont tell him i said any of this;) :D )

chris dunne from broadford is an absoloute gun. great full forward,great midfielder. so quick and nimble for his size. played for nth melb, think he was delisted.

sam hill and danny irwin from colbo, two of the best forwards in the hdfl,looks like they will win them the flag this year. sam hill is a freak chf,should be playing afl or at least vfl. irwin is unstoppable when on fire,is getting old now but he is a great player.very big unit. kicked 245goals in a year...

ryan hayes,david fevaleki from elmore. hayes also one of the best forwards in the league.too tall,too quick,too good. doesnt drop em. fev is just a freak onballer.one league b&f last yr. best player through traffic i have seen play country footy.

greg byrne lockington bamawm united. getting past it now mainly due to dodgy hamstrings. would be best defender in the hdfl, 5 yrs ago probably up there with the best in country vic.

cam carter,dennis ryan mount pleasent. carter superb on baller,hard at it unlike a lot of onballers.one of the best in league. ryan is a freak full forward.i think his in his late 30s now and will probably kick a tonne again this year for the 1000th time. only small,but very clever.

matt tointin who is from lockington,played most his footy there and with bendigo diggers. best tap ruckman i have ever seen. not sure where he is now. he would be getting on a bit though. has a peanut for a brain.

rick pritchett,cohuna kangas. up there with greg byrne as one of the best defenders. absoloute gun. tough as nails. can play. great bloke to, is there a best bloke thread? he'd be in it.

"tank" mcphee, rochester tigers. getting past it now also but a great chf. big unit. ash watson,rochester. was at nth melb,never really got a go.

troy mitchell,lancaster full foward. one word. freak.

saad saad. plays for shep in the gvfl unreal forward

thats enough from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats funny cos i remember the terang mortlake granny 3 years and i think a young man named danny stone was adjudged best on ground in the grand final...thoughts on that? maybe i have the year after???

pretty sure he got bog...stoney may have got the umpire one n x got the club bog...awesome player anyway

robbie walker wang rovers -could have been a afl/vfl he was that good. he cold take the game by the horns and turn it up sode down. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

jamie shaw in the diamond valley- man mountain who could had a small stint at fitzroy but put on the beef...

brad thompson ex wodonga- a jnr who just plodded along with the likes of bradshaw but when he became a snr footy player stood out.

chris hall ex wodonga but heidleberg champ who can play.:D

Saad Saad from Seymour. Been kicking an average of around 7 goals a game in the Goulbourn Valley. takes ripper marks as well. jaime Sheahan from Mansfield along with Trent Hotton. Sheahan boarding at ACK in year 11, freakshow. Hotton, best footballer in the GV.

couple more players i forgot....

matt kinross from tallangatta was a sure thing to star in the tdfl but has come to greif with a knee....

timmy kite from the upper murray...at the age of 16 playing seniors for walwa and winning b&f's at will lokked the goods but broke his leg at 19 at a local nite spot chassing beaver.....:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

matt aldridge from cudgewa is a bloke who has played tac cup and is a freak...

theo herring also from cudgewa...young uni student who loves a good t bag.looks lazy and slow but is a killer backman.:thumbsu: is smoother then tk on the dancefloor.....

chris dunne from broadford is an absoloute gun. great full forward,great midfielder. so quick and nimble for his size. played for nth melb, think he was delisted.
chris dunne used to play for balranald im fairly sure. very good player when on song.
gavin lloyd is still going along. playing for balranald and is still having a fair impact on the outcome of games.
also lincoln withers is up there to this year very very solid player and can tackle a bit 2.

Brent Eastwell - Garfield - WGLFL
Andy Soumalis - Garfield - WGLFL
Hayden & Adrian Burgiel - Maffra - WGLFL
Jamie Cann - Nilma Darnum - EDFL
Lincoln Withers - Balranald - CMFL

Brent tuckey best CHF in Vic country by far. oozes class and is unstoppable. many ppl say that day stawell played united josh mibus shut him down but then in the finals tuckey gave him an absolute bath. superb to watch

Brent Eastwell - Garfield - WGLFL
Andy Soumalis - Garfield - WGLFL
Hayden & Adrian Burgiel - Maffra - WGLFL
Jamie Cann - Nilma Darnum - EDFL
Lincoln Withers - Balranald - CMFL

I'll give Withers the big :thumbsdown:
While no doubt he is very good, wouldn't be close to best going around..
I think this years CMFL showed just what his strength are, he's a bully, and thats about it.. His skills aren't great and his major asset is his ability to intimidate and push around opponents at the stopages. When T/M took it upto him in this department he went missing along with most of his other overpaid teammates..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back