AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Best player in the NBA? Tracy McGrady -- just ask him
October 30, 2001

By Chris Bernucca
SportsTicker Pro Basketball Editor

ORLANDO, FLORIDA (TICKER) -- Forget Shaquille O'Neal and Allen Iverson. And who does this Jordan guy think he is? The best player in the NBA is Tracy McGrady.

If you don't think so, just ask him.

"Me," McGrady said when asked that question at training camp for the Orlando Magic. "I'm not going to say somebody's better than me. I'd be stupid to say that."

Watching McGrady in last season's playoffs, it would be hard to argue. In just his second postseason, he averaged a stunning 33.8 points per game, scoring seemingly at will.

The smooth 6-8 swingman turned Orlando's first-round series with Milwaukee into a woofing contest with Glenn Robinson, and before it was over, the "Big Dog" was very little bark and no bite.

Unfortunately, basketball is a team game, and McGrady's Magic lost in four games to the deeper and more talented Bucks.

McGrady's postseason explosion capped a first season in Orlando that exceeded everyone's expectations. He was supposed to play in the shadow of perennial All-Star forward Grant Hill, just as he did with cousin Vince Carter in Toronto.

But Hill was limited to just four games by an ankle injury and the 21-year-old McGrady was forced to become "The Man." He averaged 26.8 points, 7.5 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game. By the end of the season, it became apparent that whenever Hill returned, he would be deferring to McGrady.

Hill doesn't seem to mind. In fact, he claims to be the founder of the Tracy McGrady Fan Club.

"I told y'all that last year," Hill said.

When a reporter asked if that included Shaq, Hill bristled.

"You guys sound like my wife," he said. "I'm talking about the best player in the league. I was able to sit and watch last year and be there in person and he's the best player in the league. He showed me that last year. For him to finally get that due, we have to win and we've got to help him to do that. But he's the best player in the league and that's that."

McGrady is oozing confidence, and with good reason. Hill is back and appears fully recovered from his ankle woes. Aging big men Patrick Ewing and Horace Grant were signed as free agents to help on the boards, where the Magic were pounded on a regular basis last season. And swingman Mike Miller is coming off a Rookie of the Year campaign.

Those factors have McGrady predicting 60 wins for the Magic -- a total they have reached just once in their history, with Shaq manning the middle -- and an MVP for himself.

"This is my year and the team's year," McGrady said. "I've improved in every aspect, but the main thing is having another All-Star like Grant Hill playing alongside me. When I was in Toronto and had a guy like Vince Carter, I was able to help my team on the defensive end. Whatever the case, I could do a lot of other things. With Grant being back, I can do those things.

"MVP is definitely a personal goal I'd like to accomplish, but this is a time in my career when I see a guy like Kobe Bryant with two rings. It's time for a guy like me to step up from the East side and win a ring. We've got the team to do that."

McGrady's bravado doesn't excite Magic coach Doc Rivers, but it doesn't scare him, either.

"I don't care honestly," Rivers said. "If I think it gets in the way of our team, I'd say something. Other than that, I don't care. You've got to back it up. If that's what he wants to say, that's what he wants to say. I'm here to warn them that that's not the best approach. You can say nothing and you still have to win or, you can say a lot and you still have to win."

As long as they are healthy, the Magic are going to win. The 60 victories McGrady is predicting are not out of the question. In the weaker Eastern Conference, a trip to the NBA Finals also is a possibility.

But before they get there, McGrady is targeting a regular-season game on December 1 at the MCI Center in Washington, where the best player in the NBA will face the best player in the NBA.

"I just think about MJ," McGrady said. "Man, am I looking forward to that."

So my question is ... Is he really the best going around right now?

NO
Definitely not the best in the league, i'd rank him 4th or 5th, he's got a LONG way to go.

Cheers

no.. not mcgrady...

shaq is easily the most dominant and best player in the league..
if u had to start a team, he's the first thing u'd take...

as for SG's... (as gHill is playing SF)
i'd take mcgrady before kobe/carter/iverson/allen...

Originally posted by coxon
no.. not mcgrady...

shaq is easily the most dominant and best player in the league..
if u had to start a team, he's the first thing u'd take...

as for SG's... (as gHill is playing SF)
i'd take mcgrady before kobe/carter/iverson/allen...

The thing with Shaq is that he is vunerable...he is the most dominant player in the league but as for being the best...i dont think so. He cant take over games like other smaller and more athletic players can. If he has the ball in his hands and the game is on the line, sub your deepest bigman on and foul foul foul...

That is all that stands between Shaq and greatness. If you fouled him and he went to the line and sunk his shots all the time then you would be forced to try to stop him without fouling which is the most difficult thing to do in the NBA...Thats what made players like Zeke, Bird, Magic, Jordan etc so good was that as soon as you fouled them you knew they would make both...

Its too difficult to pick the best player in the NBA right now as there is a whole host of ballers fighting for that title. I think thats why todays Basketball is different than the 90's and 80's. In the 80's there was no argument, it was Magic and Bird with Zeke snapping at there heels...then came God and since then there hasnt been a real standout...

Regarding T-Mac though, he is being outplayed by a better player on his own team...Hill is playing some great ball, not like that surprises me though, he was awesome before injury no reason to think he wouldnt be awesome when he got back.

Shaq is the most dominant player in the League but, without questioning his abilities in any way, part of that is down to the lack of good centers at the moment.

If you were to list the top 15 centers you would have Mourning at 2 despite the fact that he's nowhere near what he was pre illness. Mutumbo would probably be 3, a fine defensive playing but ageing and not a major scoring threat. Possibly Divac as high as four whereas he'd have been boderline top ten in his prime a few years back.

After that you have ageing greats like Robinson and Olajuwon, decent ones like Lorenzen Wright who are ok but shouldn't really be among the very best and players who are really power forwards having to play the five spot like Jermaine O'Neal, Marcus Camby and Raef LaFrentz.

Hopefully newcomers like Haywood, Mihm and Loren Woods (steal of the year?) will develop to pad out the position.

The Olajuwon or Robinson of 4 - 5 years ago would have given Shaq a match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T-Mac is right up there along with Kobe and AI!!

Those three are the best in the league at the moment no doubt about it, Vince is special, but no way near it as the best all round player in the league.

Shaq and Duncan are the most dominant, but I wouldn't class them as the best all round players in the league.

For me, I may be biased but T-Mac for me and he still has a lot more improvement in him, hes only 21-22!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back