Best Players to have never made All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

I think of current Richmond players Nick Vlastuin and Dion Prestia will probably be two guys that never get selected to AA

I think Williams/Couch is quite a fair comparison, and the rest of your comment is true as well. (Couch won 2x AA and astonishingly Williams won 2x as well).

And thus Kade Simpson is in fact a very worthy nomination for best players never to make AA, is he not?

Diesel was AA in every season he (post 90) he played more than 20 games in.

Brandon Matera was a shoe in last year according to the Fremantle faithful and now he is delisted and possibly dead.Dead to footy oh no Brandon Matera,,
His best is (or was) close to AA.

Just couldn't keep it up for long. 2017 at GC, but only played 10 games. Halfway through 2019 is was in contention and faded badly later that season (even when being 12.1 after 4 games made him a bit overrated that year). Both other Freo years were not good at all. And the looked very promisinge early at GC. But never really delivered.

Interesting numbers. No one jumps off the page to me as unlucky to miss aside from shuey. Slightly surprised Ben graham never got one, but overall that is basically a list of B+ players
If a guy like Steele can make it than everybody on that page stands out!

Tony Liberatore. His son would also not look out of place in the team. Both tackling beasts.
Tony did make the equivalent in his Brownlow year in fairness, but it is a genuine surprise he didn't sneak one throughout the 90's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s been at least a couple of seasons that he was top 2 or so, 2017-2019. If he was at Richmond or Collingwood he would’ve been in the side. The selectors are fanboys.
Interesting you say that, we were snubbed entirely for a few years where we were playing finals, from memory 2007-2008? Never really a fait accompli our guys make it and I can’t think of any undeserving selections. Perhaps Davis forward in 2009 but his first half of the season was scintillating.

Thought Nathan Jones was very stiff not to make the squad in 2014 but he never had a year where he should have been named in the 22.

Bernie Vince was stiff not to make AA once in his career but probably underperformed at Adelaide considering his talent level so only himself to blame.
I seem to remember Vince having a huge year for Adelaide in around 2009. Genuinely surprised he never made it.

From the Hawks:

Ben McEvoy - Been a top-5ish ruck for what feels like a decade, now one of the better KPD's too. Remarkably consistent, but always 1-2 ahead of him. Hardworking rather than brilliant probably cost him.
Isaac Smith - Top-2 wingman for probably half his career. Not even an AA40 nomination!
Brent Guerra - his injury late in 2012 possibly cost us the flag (but that provided the burn that led to 13/14/15 so swings and roundabouts). Absolutely elite back pocket who shut down opponents and incredibly creative rebound. Critically under-rated and deserved one of Enright's 14 AA.
Brad Sewell - In 2007 he was legitimately one of the best inside mids in the game. Elite for 3 seasons (07/08/09) unlucky not to nick one.

4 players that whilst rarely considered elite by the media, all put together very strong careers and 'deserved' an AA or two.

He is/was a very good player - but he has contemporaries like Alex Rance, Jeremy McGovern, Michael Hurley and Daniel Talia - all multiple AA key defenders who’s best footy eclipsed Tarrant. He always hovered in that Top 4-5 - he wasn’t really a benchmark but again, a very good player. Sam Jacobs of Key Defenders.
I'd take Tarrant's best over Hurley and Talia.

From the Hawks:

Ben McEvoy - Been a top-5ish ruck for what feels like a decade, now one of the better KPD's too. Remarkably consistent, but always 1-2 ahead of him. Hardworking rather than brilliant probably cost him.
Isaac Smith - Top-2 wingman for probably half his career. Not even an AA40 nomination!
Brent Guerra - his injury late in 2012 possibly cost us the flag (but that provided the burn that led to 13/14/15 so swings and roundabouts). Absolutely elite back pocket who shut down opponents and incredibly creative rebound. Critically under-rated and deserved one of Enright's 14 AA.
Brad Sewell - In 2007 he was legitimately one of the best inside mids in the game. Elite for 3 seasons (07/08/09) unlucky not to nick one.

4 players that whilst rarely considered elite by the media, all put together very strong careers and 'deserved' an AA or two.
Smith sure. Having a laugh with McEvoy and Guerra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back