Best Players to have never made All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2001 All-Australian forward line is funny.

Lloyd won the Coleman with 96, and the next best was Richo on 54 and Tarrant on 53 (both snubbed). A lot of players in the 40s like peak goalkicking years from Matthew Lappin, John Barker, Troy Wilson & Che Cockatoo-Collins.

54 back then must have been pretty low for a Coleman runner-up, and I guess the panel turned up their noses. Other than Tredrea deservedly getting his first CHF (49), they filled out the rest with Voss (16!), Hird (26) & Cousins (15!), and goalkicking ruck Ottens (44) grabbed the FP 2nd ruck. And whilst Voss and Cousins almost won the Brownlow, Hird only got 5 votes!

FEels like selectors chucked in Brownlow favourites so they wouldnt look stupid if any of them won.

Justin Koschitzke never managed an All-Australian. Had a few seasons where he might have come into consideration given his kp/ruck versatility but from 2002-07 he never managed more than 19 games in a season and never quite looked the same thereafter as a post-Gehrig Lyon-era forward.

Justin Koschitzke never managed an All-Australian. Had a few seasons where he might have come into consideration given his kp/ruck versatility but from 2002-07 he never managed more than 19 games in a season and never quite looked the same thereafter as a post-Gehrig Lyon-era forward.
Respectfully disagree. He had an enormous block of 4 consecutive games where he dominated. And never did anything after or before that.
AA shouldnt be graphed in one month of football in close to a 200 game career.(dont know exactly how many he played)
But a prime example of someone who should never have been remotely considered for AA.

Respectfully disagree. He had an enormous block of 4 consecutive games where he dominated. And never did anything after or before that.
AA shouldnt be graphed in one month of football in close to a 200 game career.(dont know exactly how many he played)
But a prime example of someone who should never have been remotely considered for AA.

* it was a solid month of footy though.

Pretty unfair - Garry Lyon actually considered him to be the best PLAYER in the game at one point:

Garry Lyon never said that 😂.
The article is is taking his comments way out of context

I'm not saying he should have been made AA, or that he was the best player never to make it, just throwing big names out there. Won a Rising Star, was a #2 pick, had a media presence, kicked 40+ during the 2009 Saints season, was in that 2009 AFL ad, the injuries & unco, the live air faint, etc. He was...unusual (repeat that last line in a knowing Bruce tone).

FYI - that period was mid 2005 from memory. Him, Pavlich and Cousins were all in supreme form then. The AFL Record in about Round 17 was going nuts about him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying he should have been made AA, or that he was the best player never to make it, just throwing big names out there.

FYI - that period was mid 2005 from memory. Him, Pavlich and Cousins were all in supreme form then.
So we agree then. He was far and away from ever being condsidered as AA.
Unless we envoke the matt Rowell principle.
Which also didnt happen.
Love talking AA. Its one of the most subjective topics in footy and I still dont understand why people get upset.

Matt Priddis won the 2014 Brownlow but he didnt make All Australian that season (IIRC)

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shane Woewodin too.

Lucky Brownlow win, sure, but still had a hell of a year and definitely worth of AA.

Isaac Smith. Never made the All-Australian team despite being as good as the other outside midfielders since 2011.
doesn't spend enough time in the guts to be considered an AA wing

Yeah Tarrant for mine.

Still feel it's wild Walters only has one, he's felt around 1-3 in the small forwards I'd take to play for my life each season for the past 5-6 now. Maybe suffers from having to play midfield so much, but then again mids get picked as forwards all the time, why not pick a genuine mid/fwd

Yeah Tarrant for mine.

Still feel it's wild Walters only has one, he's felt around 1-3 in the small forwards I'd take to play for my life each season for the past 5-6 now. Maybe suffers from having to play midfield so much, but then again mids get picked as forwards all the time, why not pick a genuine mid/fwd

TArrant made it in 03

For the Eagles:

Peter Sumich
Brett Heady
Andrew Embley
Eric MacKenzie
Luke Shuey (still time!)
Wait a minute, sumich never made the AA side? He kicked like 111 goals one year and didn't get looked at?

Andrew Embleys 2006 was decent. Kicked 31 goals and 19 behinds from the wing. Surprised he didn't get in the AA team around that 2005-7 period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back