Best playing injured stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly2

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not a rugby fan, but couldn't help by being inspired by Thurston for the Maroons continuing to play out the game even though shoulder gone. He was massively hampered.

He's out for the year with surgury and no suggestion continuing to play made injury worse.

Maroon's just got up in an unlikely victory. Take Thurston out and his influence out they don't win IMO, Cameron Smith also said were inspired by it.

That's some very tough and courageous stuff right there.

There must be heaps of stories (or folklore) of similar massive courage from AFL players over the years.

Is there a stand out?

Last edited:
I'm not a rugby fan, but couldn't help by being inspired by Thurston for the Maroons continuing to play out the game even though shoulder gone. He was massively hampered.

He's out for the year with surgury and no suggestion continuing to play made injury worse.

Maroon's just got up in an unlikely victory. Take Thurston out they don't win IMO, Cameron Smith said were inspired by it.

That's some very tough and courageous stuff right there.

There must be heaps of stories (or folklore) of similar massive courage from AFL players over the years.

Is there a stand out?
Dipper 89 GF

Fractured back.

5fb36f74ef5ef23935e1f0d363aabd7d

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Stephens kicked five goals in Geelong's 13-point win over Fitzroy at Brunswick St, R3 1907, after playing the last three quarters with his arm in a sling.

Edit: Another source says Stephens discarded the sling at 3/4 time and kicked the winning goals. Somehow Stephens did not rate a mention in The Age's match report.

Last edited:
Lenny Hayes played out a game after injuring his knee about half way through it, after the game he discovered he'd torn his ACL and needed a full knee reco.

Pffft I know a guy who's played 8 years without an ACL (just don't kick it to his left)

Second hand story, but a mate told me about a GFL grand final, where the full forward had really bad diarrhoea.

Long story short they shoved small towels down his shorts, gave him plenty of water and changed the towels when he came off for a rotation.

Anyway he goes on to kick a bag and they win.

Could be made up for all i know, maybe someone else has heard it and can elaborate?

Second hand story, but a mate told me about a GFL grand final, where the full forward had really bad diarrhoea.

Long story short they shoved small towels down his shorts, gave him plenty of water and changed the towels when he came off for a rotation.

Anyway he goes on to kick a bag and they win.

Could be made up for all i know, maybe someone else has heard it and can elaborate?
F**k being the full back of the opposition team, i would have just let him kick a bag

Lenny Hayes played out a game after injuring his knee about half way through it, after the game he discovered he'd torn his ACL and needed a full knee reco.
Tough bugger...didn't Rob Harvey have to tear his own foot tendon to play on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back