Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russell Westbrook

• Jeremy Lin

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Best Point Guard?

Any Boston twits still reckon Rondo is better than Parker?
Okay so just cause Tony had a big game today that makes him better? Oh okay then I guess Jeremy Lin > Rondo as well then. Heck anyone who played better then Rondo in the last few games is a better player than him. Oh by the way if you have any idea about Rondo you'd realise he doesn't need to score points to do damage. He had 14 assists and 1 turnover against Memphis the other day coming off a wrist injury. But I guess Tony is still better. :eek:

Okay so just cause Tony had a big game today that makes him better? Oh okay then I guess Jeremy Lin > Rondo as well then. Heck anyone who played better then Rondo in the last few games is a better player than him. Oh by the way if you have any idea about Rondo you'd realise he doesn't need to score points to do damage. He had 14 assists and 1 turnover against Memphis the other day coming off a wrist injury. But I guess Tony is still better. :eek:

Today? he has been carving it up for a month, actually he has been carving it up for the last 5 years.

And 14 assists for Rondo is like 6 assists for anyone else, we know they cook the books up that way.

Rondo is a good player, and could get better but he isn't close to Parker atm.

They're completely different kinds of point guards. Parker has the runs on the board but Rondo's best is as good as anyone. Both are also big game performers.

Today? he has been carving it up for a month, actually he has been carving it up for the last 5 years.

And 14 assists for Rondo is like 6 assists for anyone else, we know they cook the books up that way.

Rondo is a good player, and could get better but he isn't close to Parker atm.
Is that really the best you've got they cook the books up that way? You might actually want to provide some evidence of Parker being better. Right now your talking s**t. :eek:

Rings, Finals MVP and All Star appearances don't make a player better than a player without them. Rondo would have won the Finals MVP in 2010 had we have won anyway. But is this a career vs career debate? No.

Rings, Finals MVP and All Star appearances don't make a player better than a player without them. Rondo would have won the Finals MVP in 2010 had we have won anyway. But is this a career vs career debate? No.
I think it does. Both play with star studded teams so i think it's fair we can base team sucess when your playing the most importaint and team orientated position on the court when both have guys like Duncan/Garnett Allan+Pierce/Ginobili+Robinson. One is a 5 time all star point guard with 3 rings, the other 1 ring and has missed out this year. Things suggest that Parker right now is better then Rondo.

Also with your call on Rondo winning the mvp if Boston would of won? Well gee, If He had won every championship every year and averaged 65 points per game he would also be the best point guard, But he doesnt, he didn't, so Hypotheticals do not make a valid discussion.

Just watch them, simple as that. Parker is a better player, quite comfortably as well.
You just continue to prove your stupidity.

I think it does. Both play with star studded teams so i think it's fair we can base team sucess when your playing the most importaint and team orientated position on the court when both have guys like Duncan/Garnett Allan+Pierce/Ginobili+Robinson. One is a 5 time all star point guard with 3 rings, the other 1 ring and has missed out this year. Things suggest that Parker right now is better then Rondo.

Also with your call on Rondo winning the mvp if Boston would of won? Well gee, If He had won every championship every year and averaged 65 points per game he would also be the best point guard, But he doesnt, he didn't, so Hypotheticals do not make a valid discussion.

How can you even compare the two career wise anyway when Rondo has only been playing since 2006. Rondo has been a better player when healthy this season and was definitely a better player in the 2010-2011 and 2009-2010 seasons.

How can you even compare the two career wise anyway when Rondo has only been playing since 2006. Rondo has been a better player when healthy this season and was definitely a better player in the 2010-2011 and 2009-2010 seasons.
Cool, two seasons he's been better. Parkers playing better this year, has been better over-all in his career. Im not sure where your comming from when saying he's better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rondo has plenty more time to prove that he is better than Parker. Parker has been in the league a lot longer than Rondo, so comparing All-star selections, championships etc. is just stupid imo.

Rondo has plenty more time to prove that he is better than Parker. Parker has been in the league a lot longer than Rondo, so comparing All-star selections, championships etc. is just stupid imo.

Not really. Rondo is about to turn 26 and Parker is 29.

Tony Parker is clearly the better career point guard and I can't see the 3 years Rondo has to catch up making any difference to that.

Cool, two seasons he's been better. Parkers playing better this year, has been better over-all in his career. Im not sure where your comming from when saying he's better?
This was never about comparing the two players careers. When did I ever say it was? Rondo when healthy has been a better player this season.

Point of difference for me is that Parker can carry an offense whereas Rondo can not.

Rondo is better defensively but he's automatically the third or fourth option on offense because of his inability to shoot outside the paint. He needs the right sort of team around him (multiple wing scorers, big man who can space the floor).

Parker can win games with Gary Neal and Tiago Splitter as second and third options. Rondo can not.

That is the reason why Parker is more valuable.

Rondo when healthy has been a better player this season.
You keep saying this without showing any reasoning...

Parker carries that SA offense every night. A team that has the second best record in the West despite missing it's best player.

I'm not sure what the case for Rondo is...

You keep saying this without showing any reasoning...

Parker carries that SA offense every night. A team that has the second best record in the West despite missing it's best player.

I'm not sure what the case for Rondo is...
Rondo puts up 14ppg and 9apg. That's at least 32ppg he creates. The Celtics offense is horrible without Rondo. Where's your reasoning?

This argument really is just completely ridiculous.

You look at the stats on offense.

San Antonia averages 97.6 ppg
Boston averages 90.6

Rondo averages 13.8 ppg and 9.6 apg - contributing a minimum of 33 ppg to a team scoring just 90 a game. So Rondo contributes to 36.5 % of Celtics points.

Parker averages 18.9 ppg and 7.7 apg - contributing a minimum of 34 ppg to a team scoring 97 a game. So Parker contributes to 35 % of Spurs points.

To me that's too close to be able to call one guy better then the other.

Parker averages 5 more points shooting at 45.7% fg and 24% on 3's.

While Rondo averages 5 less points, he averages 2 more assists which makes up for those 5 points.
Rondo shoots at 50.6 fg and 25% on 3's. He also takes less shots which may attribute to this but nevetheless it's still a better fg%.

Again, these stats are very close.

Now, Tony Parker averages 1.1 steals and 2.5 turnovers this season.
Rondo averages 1.7 steals but 3.7 turnovers a game.

This gives Parker a slightly better Assist to Turnover ratio (3.00 vs 2.6)

But in contrary to this, it can be said that Rondo is a better defender than Parker so once again, it's still too close to call.

Now people who say that because Parker has 3 rings, 3 extra All-star performances and 1 Finals MVP compared to Rondo's 1 ring and 3 less all-star appearances really make no sense.
Rondo is 25, Parker is 29 and both play on completely different teams.

It's quite juvenile for Celtics and Spurs supporters to say 'my PG's better rah rah rah'!

Both players are too similar in stats and far to different in play styles to be compared to, it's really a matter of opinion.

So in my opinion, Tony Parker has achieved more success throughout his career so far than Rondo, but that alone doesn't make him a better player.

Both players are great performers in big games and are probably both the most important on either teams.

For me both are top ten PG's in the league. :thumbsu:

Where's your reasoning?
I don't need to provide reasoning. You are the one asserting the uncommon belief that Rondo has played better than TP this season. The burden is on you to provide an argument as to why.

I've explained the reason above and it seems that most neutral supporters (and NBA coaches voting in All Stars) see it that way.

Rondo puts up 14ppg and 9apg. That's at least 32ppg he creates. The Celtics offense is horrible without Rondo.
If you're talking about statistical evidence, then John Hollinger's PER is probably the best statistical model for determining offensive output. Currently Parker is ranked 8th, Rondo 15th amongst PG's.

"My team's offense is horrible without my starting point guard"... well that could be true of every team. It's just common sense.

This argument really is just completely ridiculous.
I don't think it's a "ridiculous" comparison...

Both are elite PG's who play for elite level teams.

To me, it's all about style. Do you want to build around a scoring PG or a playmaker PG who can not shoot? That caveat has to be mentioned as well when talking about Rondo.

It's a fair and worthwhile discussion, evidenced by your copious amount of statistical research. I just don't think nbaman1 has provided any real evidence to say "my guy has played better".

I don't think it's a "ridiculous" comparison...

Both are elite PG's who play for elite level teams.

To me, it's all about style. Do you want to build around a scoring PG or a playmaker PG who can not shoot? That caveat has to be mentioned as well when talking about Rondo.

It's a fair and worthwhile discussion, evidenced by your copious amount of statistical research. I just don't think nbaman1 has provided any real evidence to say "my guy has played better".

I see what your saying but I intended that to mean that the fight was childish etc not that it wasn't a valid argument.

Back