Club History Best Port Adelaide cameos

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory of Keith Baker is that he was a handy rover (as they were called back then) in the traditional in and under style, and he was quite good around the goals, but he lacked pace, which probably had something to do with his ankle problems.

The emergence of Brian Cunningham and Daryl Cahill as a roving and multiple goal kicking duo saw a number of very handy smaller on ball type Maggie players struggle to get games, and some of them crossed to other clubs to get a game, eg Kym Clarke to Centrals and Kevin Watson to West Torrens.

Clarke and Watson, I do not recall them, what decade was that, 54 ?

My memory of Keith Baker is that he was a handy rover (as they were called back then) in the traditional in and under style, and he was quite good around the goals, but he lacked pace, which probably had something to do with his ankle problems.

The emergence of Brian Cunningham and Daryl Cahill as a roving and multiple goal kicking duo saw a number of very handy smaller on ball type Maggie players struggle to get games, and some of them crossed to other clubs to get a game, eg Kym Clarke to Centrals and Kevin Watson to West Torrens.
Thanks for the reply mate but I come across this article saying Keith showed a bit of pace! I've posted the article which isn't a bad read.

Attachments

• port (2).jpg
    port (2).jpg
    555 KB · Views: 49

Thanks for the reply mate but I come across this article saying Keith showed a bit of pace! I've posted the article which isn't a bad read.
I hope you don't mind me intruding but I remember Keith Baker playing for Port as a rover. He played in the 1972 Grand Final in that position. Port ran 3 rovers in that game, Cunningham, Grimwood and Baker and for a time early in the game had the much vaunted North defence at sixes and sevens and led until just after half time. Port started with their rucks at full forward and two of the rovers in the pockets. Bob Hammond had to pick up one of the rovers and he had a dreadful first quarter or so. Keith Baker was replaced late in the third quarter by a very unfit John Cahill in a desperate last gasp effort to win the game. After half time, North, or in particular B Robran wore them down and North won by 56 points.
Randall Gerlach could have played one of the all time great games of Grand Final footy that day, he took 13 marks at Centre Half Forward on B Jaworskyj but had a shocking day kicking wise. 5 weeks earlier he had kicked 7 goals against North at Prospect as Port thrashed the reigning premier.
I think that the 1972 Grand Final was Baker's last for Port.
Also Tony Giles misdemeanour was with Rainbird of Woodville. Goodingham wasn't involved.
And finally I saw heaps of Kerley. Thug was a good description. He was no champion, but he was tough. But every decent side had someone as tough and hard as him with every bit as much mongrel. They wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes today with trial by video. North had Hank (not Don) Lindner, Norwood had Glenn McMahon, Torrens had Freddy Bills (he might not have been quite as dirty, but was equally as tough). I heard Kerley say to Mike Sheahan that he played like Archer. I guess that wasn't a bad approximation but I would have thought Archer was much more skilled and a better footballer.

I hope you don't mind me intruding but I remember Keith Baker playing for Port as a rover. He played in the 1972 Grand Final in that position. Port ran 3 rovers in that game, Cunningham, Grimwood and Baker and for a time early in the game had the much vaunted North defence at sixes and sevens and led until just after half time. Port started with their rucks at full forward and two of the rovers in the pockets. Bob Hammond had to pick up one of the rovers and he had a dreadful first quarter or so. Keith Baker was replaced late in the third quarter by a very unfit John Cahill in a desperate last gasp effort to win the game. After half time, North, or in particular B Robran wore them down and North won by 56 points.
Randall Gerlach could have played one of the all time great games of Grand Final footy that day, he took 13 marks at Centre Half Forward on B Jaworskyj but had a shocking day kicking wise. 5 weeks earlier he had kicked 7 goals against North at Prospect as Port thrashed the reigning premier.
I think that the 1972 Grand Final was Baker's last for Port.
Also Tony Giles misdemeanour was with Rainbird of Woodville. Goodingham wasn't involved.
And finally I saw heaps of Kerley. Thug was a good description. He was no champion, but he was tough. But every decent side had someone as tough and hard as him with every bit as much mongrel. They wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes today with trial by video. North had Hank (not Don) Lindner, Norwood had Glenn McMahon, Torrens had Freddy Bills (he might not have been quite as dirty, but was equally as tough). I heard Kerley say to Mike Sheahan that he played like Archer. I guess that wasn't a bad approximation but I would have thought Archer was much more skilled and a better footballer.
No worries mate thanks for memories, yeah it was Keith's last game for Port at 21 he gained a fitter and Turner apprenticeship back home in Millicent

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-18-21-45-02-58.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-18-21-45-02-58.png
    997 KB · Views: 44
Peter Walsh could have been anything, had an enormous burst of speed and an almost unmatched endurance in the game, with an ability to make the unpossible, possible. Unfortunately his career famously came to an end after 'that' incident in 2006... I had such high hopes for the young man

gettyimages-52278912-2048x2048.jpg

Ray Huppatz was one of the best rover/small midfielder i have seen.

Went back and saw a bit of early 80s footage and Ray Huppatz really stood out, he was pretty damaging in the forward line as well. Looked a great experienced pickup at the time for the side.

Peter Walsh could have been anything, had an enormous burst of speed and an almost unmatched endurance in the game, with an ability to make the unpossible, possible. Unfortunately his career famously came to an end after 'that' incident in 2006... I had such high hopes for the young man

View attachment 1430269

HugeJohnson

Great name by the way.
Would I be right in thinking you are referring to the 'incident' where a liquorice allsorts supporter blatantly tried to injure Dean Brogans hand with a cowardly and malicious attack at the Adelaide Airport?

View attachment 1430269
Remind me…..what was the incident?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went back and saw a bit of early 80s footage and Ray Huppatz really stood out, he was pretty damaging in the forward line as well. Looked a great experienced pickup at the time for the side.
Woodville from their 1970 side, lost Craig McKellar, Malcolm Blight and Ray Huppatz to VFL sides over the next few years. That was an SA state side first ruck division. McKellar and Blight both played for Victoria.

Huppatz won Woodville's B&F in 1969, 70, 71 and 73 beating both these players in 1969 and 70, Mckellar went off to Richmond for 1971, Blight won in 1972, and Huppatz beat Blight again in 1973, then both went to the VFL.

Huppatz's 38 games in 3 seasons, got to Port when he was 33, has to be considered a cameo.

Last edited:
Peter Walsh could have been anything, had an enormous burst of speed and an almost unmatched endurance in the game, with an ability to make the impossible, possible. Unfortunately his career famously came to an end after 'that' incident in 2006... I had such high hopes for the young man

View attachment 1430269
You mean 'that' incident in 2006 he struggled with injury in 2006 and at the end of the season was delisted by Port Adelaide who were pushing for youth? Because that is the only reference I can see to Peter Walsh's 2006 season. Was not involved at all in the Dean Brogan Adelaide Airport incident.

Also, the 'young man' turned 30 in 2006

What incident?

Sarcasm?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back