Club History Best Port Adelaide cameos

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a few from other local clubs that had cameos at Port but nothing memorable. In no particular order

Mick Hamill (Torrens)
Richard Manouge (Torrens)
Ian Jackman (South)
Trevor Grenfell (North)

John Baruzzi.
Played a few good senior games but couldn't nail a permanent gig.
Ressies MM and could play. Maybe lacked confidence at the higher level?

David Cheetham another - crack ressies forward, but unable to play at that level in the A's.
Reserves Magarey....sounds a bit like Des Drogemuller.

Apparently Baruzzi played 1 senior game in 1969, but like you I would have thought it was more than that, he ended up at the chooks for a couple of seasons.

Cheetham played 12 senior games in about 4 seasons at Alberton, he used to get regular bags in the magoos but just couldn't crack it at senior level.

Rember JB moving to the Roosters. Could have sworn he played around a dozen games over a few seasons.
That's what getting middle aged does to your brain :D

Played 45 minutes of basketball with 18yo son yesterday.
Paying for that now too :(
Calves are cactus!

Just a few from other local clubs that had cameos at Port but nothing memorable. In no particular order

Mick Hamill (Torrens)
Richard Manouge (Torrens)
Ian Jackman (South)
Trevor Grenfell (North)

Mick Hamill was a big lump of a bloke but he was as soft as butter, he may have even been the player Jack Cahill was referring to when he said `if I ever pick him again shoot me!' :rolleyes:
Curly Manouge came to Port with a huge reputation but never played a league game.
Ian Jackman was probably the best of the bunch but was very much an out there waiting for it type and only survived on the list for a couple of years.
Trevor Grenfell played some reasonable games as a tall defender but from memory only lasted a couple of seasons as well.

Former St Kilda and Victorian centreman Glenn Elliott was another with a West Torrens connection, he played 1 senior game for the Maggies in 1980.

Mick Hamill was a big lump of a bloke but he was as soft as butter, he may have even been the player Jack Cahill was referring to when he said `if I ever pick him again shoot me!' :rolleyes:
Curly Manouge came to Port with a huge reputation but never played a league game.
Ian Jackman was probably the best of the bunch but was very much an out there waiting for it type and only survived on the list for a couple of years.
Trevor Grenfell played some reasonable games as a tall defender but from memory only lasted a couple of seasons as well.

Former St Kilda and Victorian centreman Glenn Elliott was another with a West Torrens connection, he played 1 senior game for the Maggies in 1980.
The same Glenn Elliot who does the rounds as CEO of every failing SA sports team?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think we've run out of cameos. Now listing everyone we can think of who played 1-12 senior games of mediocre to ordinary quality.
Perhaps we could move on to single game cameos, ie games or parts of games where someone exhibited significant and/or uncommon influence over the outcome of the game.

Ivan Eckermann in the 1977 GF would be exhibit number 1 for me.

I think we've run out of cameos. Now listing everyone we can think of who played 1-12 senior games of mediocre to ordinary quality.

Guilty as charged :D

Perhaps we could move on to single game cameos, ie games or parts of games where someone exhibited significant and/or uncommon influence over the outcome of the game.

Ivan Eckermann in the 1977 GF would be exhibit number 1 for me.

Adrian Settre 1990 grand final

Even that 1 game I think he played only 1 quarter.

This will no doubt upset some posters :rolleyes: but in my humble opinion Steven Salopek didn't do much more than play the odd cameo here and there for most of his career at Alberton, and never lived up to anywhere near his draft hype.

Maybe he belongs in a most over rated player thread. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of cheating here - I’m plagiarising the player’s index 1958-81 from the John Wood’s book “Gentleman Jack”
I’m selecting names with less than 5 games from that period & hopefully I’m including players not already mentioned.
Alfred D something tells me his first name was Daryl & lived at Royal Park/Hendon
Black C & D
Bond J (1961)
Clohessy C
Griffiths W
Hodges J 4 games in 1967
Johns K 1 games in 1961
Well that’s A to J covered

A bit of cheating here - I’m plagiarising the player’s index 1958-81 from the John Wood’s book “Gentleman Jack”
I’m selecting names with less than 5 games from that period & hopefully I’m including players not already mentioned.
Alfred D something tells me his first name was Daryl & lived at Royal Park/Hendon
Black C & D
Bond J (1961)
Clohessy C
Griffiths W
Hodges J 4 games in 1967
Johns K 1 games in 1961

Dennis Alfred?
The D Black was Daryl and I think the other was Chris
John Bond ( I think )
Craig Clohessy
Wayne Griffiths
Keith Johns ( bro of Rex )

Hodges I can't recall at all

Dennis Alfred?
John Bond ( I think )
Craig Clohessy
Wayne Griffiths

Thanks - I certainly remember the name Craig Clohessy, the others are still vague.

This will no doubt upset some posters :rolleyes: but in my humble opinion Steven Salopek didn't do much more than play the odd cameo here and there for most of his career at Alberton, and never lived up to anywhere near his draft hype.

121 games across a 10 year career that netted him life membership. Hardly a cameo fiddy four.

Jarrad Irons... but according to his wiki page, he is still a current PAFC player - so he may not fit the criteria.

121 games across a 10 year career that netted him life membership. Hardly a cameo fiddy four.

Not a career cameo Theo, but I never saw Sal do much more than play a half decent ( cameo ) qtr here and there, particularly when he was selected in our stronger teams.

Good luck to him for his life membership, but many of his 121 games were played during the club's weakest era, and he was absolutely dreadful when Kingsley somehow convinced Choco to try him in the `quarterback ' role, and I suspect he was one of those players where the much maligned MP pulled the right rein. ;)

Another cameo blast from the past was Eddie Woloszek, or Eddie Wetcheck as he was quickly dubbed by the boys on the outer wing at Alberton. :rolleyes:

Eddie played on a permit from his WA club in the Maggies last trial match of the 1972 season in a game at Alberton against Richmond.

About 6 weeks after Eddie's `heroics' against Hart he was sent back to Perth on the train, which still remains to this day the biggest rise and fall I can recall of any Port player in my 60 plus years of supporting the club. :(

A little off target. The long-haired god who wore #13 was from City-South in Tassie, so he wasn't put on the train home to Perth. In truth, he couldn't cope with the warm Adelaide winter and swam back to the Apple Isle, leaving only grand memories and dreams of what might have been.

Black C & D
Bond J (1961)
Clohessy C
Griffiths W
Hodges J 4 games in 1967
Johns K 1 games in 1961

Dennis Alfred?
John Bond ( I think )
Craig Clohessy
Wayne Griffiths

Jeff Hodges, Scott's dad.

Also played for Woodville.

But he never played for Port, so how does he make the list in this thread?

His week of work experience at the club (actually happened) coincided with our transition from the Dewey Decimal System to a customised application dubbed PAVATAR™ (may not have happened).

No s**t he didn't live up to his draft hype - the lament is that he spent so much time on the sidelines / in the rehab group and whilst carved out a handy sort of career he was a shadow of the player we had hoped and dreamt for based on his first few games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back