Club History Best Port Adelaide cameos

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarrad Irons... but according to his wiki page, he is still a current PAFC player - so he may not fit the criteria.

Jarrads Iron

Colin Bald - I remember him back in the mid 80s days, when we had some good solid battlers - John (& David) Harvey....Arlen Kennedy..Jon Simpson..etc

That 85 to 87 side copped quite a few floggings (Torrens at Footy Park, '85; Norwood FP '87 & a few from Glenelg), which probably set the scene for significant player turnover for ehen Cahill returned.

Just a few from other local clubs that had cameos at Port but nothing memorable. In no particular order

Mick Hamill (Torrens)
Richard Manouge (Torrens)
Ian Jackman (South)
Trevor Grenfell (North)

Daniel Hargreaves (North) although he did kick 10 at Woodville Oval when Timmy G was coaching.
Chad Davis (North)

Colin Bald - I remember him back in the mid 80s days, when we had some good solid battlers - John (& David) Harvey....Arlen Kennedy..Jon Simpson..etc

That 85 to 87 side copped quite a few floggings (Torrens at Footy Park, '85; Norwood FP '87 & a few from Glenelg), which probably set the scene for significant player turnover for ehen Cahill returned.

Colin Bald looked like developing into a fairly decent player until he was knocked out behind the play in a Port v Centrals magoo's game at Alberton, I don't think he ever represented the club again after that incident.

Just a few from other local clubs that had cameos at Port but nothing memorable. In no particular order

Mick Hamill (Torrens)
Richard Manouge (Torrens)
Ian Jackman (South)
Trevor Grenfell (North)

What about Ray Huppatz? Was he any good?

What about Ray Huppatz? Was he any good?

He's had a mention way back in this thread. Genuine quality player but very much at the end of a successful sanfl and vfl career when he came to Port. Took one of the great marks over Wayme Schmaal of Norwood in 1983.

Troy Olsen would be one. Looked like he was 40 but was only a teenager and had a couple of great years in 94 and 95.

The night of the 94 GF we were upstairs in the clubrooms celebrating when my Mrs (then girl friend) asks for my Guernsey. I ask why, and she says she wants to get Scotty's autograph. So I take my Guernsey off (it was never laced up, just wore it as a jacket) She goes across and gets his autograph.

Over the next twenty minutes or so she proceeds to get another 5 or 6 players as they walk past.
That's when I said you can't stop now. It'll look stupid with just 7 premiership players - you'll need to get them all.

Anyway, she takes up the challenge and off she goes.

BY about 1:30 she's got them all - including John Cahill (I'm impressed). But we do a count and find she's one short. So myself and a few mates standing around are looking at the signatures, trying to figure out who's missing and we finally come to the conclusion it's Troy Olsen. So off we go trying the find him. 30 minutes later we've had no luck. Dave (one of my mates) said he go ask his brother, who was tied up with the club at the time and know a few of the players personally...

Anyway, Dave's brother's back about 15 mins later and said "follow me"
He takes me out to the car park and there's Troy in his car toking up like you wouldn't believe...

Dave's brother knocks on the window.
Troy shits himself. Winds down the windows and asks Dave's brother "What the * do you want?"
A bit of small chit-chat follows, and he signs my Guernsey, then winds the window back up...

I give you Troy Olsen...

Not sure how many games he played, but Peter Crerar was an exciting player to watch with his pace and attack on the ball. Injuries limited his career though unfortunately.

Dislocated his knee a couple of times as I remember. Electric pace and movement, really did look like he could be anything before injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Azure-winged magpie cameo ;)

file.jpg

John Baruzzi.
Played a few good senior games but couldn't nail a permanent gig.
Ressies MM and could play. Maybe lacked confidence at the higher level?

David Cheetham another - crack ressies forward, but unable to play at that level in the A's.
I vaguely remember Cheetham as being really thin. Am I correct?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jared Poulton's match-winning goal in 2002?

OK. Too many games (88)

How about his missus for representing us with her cracking voice? Pretty sure she played under 50 games :wink:

Last edited:
One for SgtSchulz Taperoo wingman Shane Schulz who played a handful of games in the late 1970s.

Also Greg Natt brother of Chris. Greg was a nuggety back pocket minding the rovers. Chris had the tall gene ;)

Phil Robertson was a goal scoring half forward flanker in the twos. His first league game he had a shot for goal that hit the inside of one goal post ricocheted into the other goal post then went through the goals. Still just a point sadly. But a cameo point. ;)

Phil Robertson was a goal scoring half forward flanker in the twos. His first league game he had a shot for goal that hit the inside of one goal post ricocheted into the other goal post then went through the goals. Still just a point sadly. But a cameo point. ;)
I was standing at the fence on the wing at the bay during a reserves game in about 1983 when big Robbo came running full pelt to try and keep the ball in play, got there too late, tripped and smashed his forehead flush on the metal bar of the fence.
I was sure I was watching a man about to die.
He was fine. Got straight up and played on.

Edit - on reflection, I think I'm talking about Graeme Robertson, not Phil.

Last edited:
Lyall Kretschmer served in World War 2 and played 31 games for Port 1945-47 representing S.A. in 1946. He retired in 1947 at 28 years old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back