Of the pre-AFL era

Carl Fragomeni
Stephen Curtis
Wayne Broadbridge
John Ede
Ross Haslam
Anthony Williams
Neville Thiele

I deliberately left out Paul Marrett and Leon Milde - IMHO they were a large reason for our previous premiership drought. Was Dwayne Russell worthy of inclusion? I didn't see enough of him play for Ports before I left SA. I used to like Peter Yeo until he went and played for our arch enemy of the time.

I've left out current players as we're not so shizenhausen they can't fight their way to one. And obviously we're talking in our AFL era.

Despite the thread title, the opening post asked for best 5. Primus is the standout. Then for me Mead, Francou, Paxman. The final spot maybe Brett Ebert. Take a look at Port Adelaide's past players if you want a good memory jogger.

Just for fun Adam Hueskes and Nick Stevens. We weren't asked to like our selections. Both were phenomenal players.

Technically the best player to have played at Port Adelide but never win a flag representing the club would be Hayden Bunton Snr. Hard to find another player who won close to 3 Brownlows and 3 Sandovers played for the club and never won a flag. Only played 17 games in 1945 when we played Torrens on the GF and lost by 13 behinds! 15.25 v 15.12.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've left out current players as we're not so shizenhausen they can't fight their way to one. And obviously we're talking in our AFL era.

Despite the thread title, the opening post asked for best 5. Primus is the standout. Then for me Mead, Francou, Paxman. The final spot maybe Brett Ebert. Take a look at Port Adelaide's past players if you want a good memory jogger.

Just for fun Adam Hueskes and Nick Stevens. We weren't asked to like our selections. Both were phenomenal players.

I watched a few old games that Hueskes played in, on VHS during the xmas new year break.
He often looked very good when he was running with the ball, but was very poor overhead, and you could see oppo coaches using tactics to try and get him one out in the fwd 50.

In the 3 1997 games I watched he didn't take one mark above his head, and was outmarked on quite a few occasions.

After Primus and Francou, who were injured in 2004, Stevens counts as one of the more unlucky ones showing bad timing in choosing to go after we had finished minor round champions two years in a row.

Stevens is definitely in the discussion.

Heuskes is Donald Dickie-tier and wouldn’t be anywhere near it.

Was just about to respond with a very similar post.

Stevens yeah he was a high quality player irrespective of the s**t he has got up to post playing career.

Heuskes? Surely taking the piss! I didn't see a heck of a lot of his career but to describe him a phenom is rather incredible.

Also excluding current players, would definitely be a toss up between Francou and Primus.

After Primus and Francou, who were injured in 2004, Stevens counts as one of the more unlucky ones showing bad timing in choosing to go after we had finished minor round champions two years in a row.
Stevens was one of the main culprits for going to s**t in the finals in that era. I consider him moving on one of the crucial factors in us mentally hardening up enough to finally win the flag

Given the success of the PAFC you would have to be unlucky to have played in excess off 100 games and not played in a premiership side.

When I first arrived in Australia, and started following a Port, there are a couple that come to mind:

Ros Haslam and Keith Spencer.

Jeremy Clayton is also one that deserved a premiership.

Steve Summerton has given his all for the Club and deserves a premiership medal.

From the AFL years Francou and Primus were very unlucky being struck down with knee injuries at the wrong time.

Carl Fragomeni is one of my regular clients and I had no idea he played for Port! (before my time)
I had to look up his footy bio to check if it was him.
I'll have a chat about missing premierships next time I see him.
He was stiff especially in 1977 was injured either in the last game before the finals or the 2nd semi. I'm not sure how much injury or form resulted in him missing out on the 1979 flag but he missed a lot of games IIRC. He was part of that long line of speedy, high skilled small back pocket players Port have always had since I started watching them in the early/mid 1970's.
John Devaney's bio which was transfred to

https://australianfootball.com/players/player/carl+fragomeni/125
Carl Fragomeni gave good service to both East Perth and Port Adelaide during the 1970s, but he was ultimately prevented by injury from achieving his full potential as a player. Dashing and determined, Fragomeni played in East Perth’s 1972 premiership-winning team. Named on the wing in that match, he actually spent the majority of his time during it in the back pocket position that was his specialty. At Port Adelaide he was a firm fan favourite but, owing to injury, did not manage to participate in any of the club’s premiership sides while he was there. Carl Fragomeni’s senior career comprised 48 games and 10 goals for East Perth between 1969 and 1972 followed by 128 games and four goals for Port from 1973 to 1979. He represented South Australia once.
https://australianfootball.com/players/player/carl+fragomeni/125

Did Dwayne Russell play in our '81 premiership?

If not, I nominate him.

The first one to come to mind for me was Stephrn Curtis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back