Best Port players from the rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just to add a little excitement to this norning after what has been a very dull draft.

We have had a few good ones over the years

Tom Jonas
Dean Brogan
Dan Houston
Rockliff*
Ladhams
Danyle Pearce
Tom Logan
Kane Mitchell
Sam Gray
Will Snelling
Jarrod Lienert
Boyd Woodcock
Jake Pasini
Trent Burgoyne

My top 3 for their time at Port

Jonas
Brogan
Houston

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Jarrad Irons 2 goals 2 behinds on debut in a Round 1, 75 point loss v the reigning premier Collywobbles.

Until any other rookies play in an afl premiership team Dean Brogan wins that race by the length of the Flemington straight.
Hopefully TJ, Houston and Rockliff will join him in season 2021.

I reckon Houston is ahead of Pearce by a fair margin already. The only factor is games played.

Pearce was a Rising Star winner and played in a GF for us which is a lot more than what anyone else has done at that list bar Jonas and Brogan. I reckon Houston, Ladhams and a few others will overtake him in time but until then I'd have Pearce ahead of them.

Pearce was a Rising Star winner and played in a GF for us which is a lot more than what anyone else has done at that list bar Jonas and Brogan. I reckon Houston, Ladhams and a few others will overtake him in time but until then I'd have Pearce ahead of them.

Playing in a GF doesn't mean anything, winning the rising star is very minor. Especially when his second on that was Andrew Raines. Next season it'll be clear cut.

Wish this one panned out. Had some serious speed.

Wish Ben Holland worked out- Elijah would be a very handy father son.

I reckon Houston is ahead of Pearce by a fair margin already. The only factor is games played.

Nah. Pearce played some excellent footy for us, particularly in 2006-2007. But he was always a pretty good player even during the lean years after that. Houston hasn't put together that sort of body of work yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pearce was left more often then not in our s**t period, as the only outside player we tried to play through, with oppositions knowing that and him getting bugger all support from our players (as we had s**t fitness and they were piss weak). Pearce in our 2020 side would have excelled.

Until any other rookies play in an afl premiership team Dean Brogan wins that race by the length of the Flemington straight.
Hopefully TJ, Houston and Rockliff will join him in season 2021.

I'm genuinely curious as to your reasoning. Winning a premiership requires so many things to go right for the team and the club. Being a member of a premiership team is a tremendous achievement but I don't see how that makes a player automatically better than a player who does not play in a premiership (if that is your reasoning).

I do agree with your choice, but not the margin, and quite possibly for different reasons.

I'm genuinely curious as to your reasoning. Winning a premiership requires so many things to go right for the team and the club. Being a member of a premiership team is a tremendous achievement but I don't see how that makes a player automatically better than a player who does not play in a premiership (if that is your reasoning).

I do agree with your choice, but not the margin, and quite possibly for different reasons.

A flag is obviously the ultimate and being a Port supporter for as long as I have success in gf's is how I have rated players for years, and while that may be a tad harsh given the club is now in the AFL I'm too long in the tooth to change now. :)

Brogan covered for a dual All Oz ruck in Primus when he did knee injury after knee injury, but also covered for another dual All Oz ruckman in Lade who took time to recover from his back to back broken leg.

He performed well across all 2004 finals, and allowed Lade to play forward in the GF who went into the game with a dodgy back.

No other rookie has been able to achieve that sort of career. Reckon Brogan was stiff one year to not get into the All Oz side on the bench as the 2nd ruck.

Brogan covered for a dual All Oz ruck in Primus when he did knee injury after knee injury, but also covered for another dual All Oz ruckman in Lade who took time to recover from his back to back broken leg.

He performed well across all 2004 finals, and allowed Lade to play forward in the GF who went into the game with a dodgy back.

No other rookie has been able to achieve that sort of career. Reckon Brogan was stiff one year to not get into the All Oz side on the bench as the 2nd ruck.

I completely agree with all this. He was integral in our premiership year and stepped up when we were effectively without Primus for the entire season. He was a real warrior for the club for a decade or so. I just don't think he necessarily gains ground over other players just because they haven't had the chance to play in a premiership. However I know some do rate players on that basis - fair enough.

I would go as far to say, Brogan would be more suited to today's game style than Primus or Lade.

He'd be more valued like a Ryder due to his ability to contribute around the ground. Most notably to play the role of "plugging the gap, down back". That height would be much loved right now in PAFC's defence.

Playing in a GF doesn't mean anything, winning the rising star is very minor. Especially when his second on that was Andrew Raines. Next season it'll be clear cut.

Yeah look with 22 games he only beat

Heath Shaw (22 games)
Marc Murphy (13 games)
Grant Birchall (16 games)
Dale Thomas (16 games)

for a rookie listed player thats as impressive for anyone

I would go as far to say, Brogan would be more suited to today's game style than Primus or Lade.

He'd be more valued like a Ryder due to his ability to contribute around the ground. Most notably to play the role of "plugging the gap, down back". That height would be much loved right now in PAFC's defence.
Was more than handy as a resting defender in the hole. Loved broges!

Brogan is the best so far and by some length.

Pearce next. Very good in the early years.

I want to see Jonas back up his good season. is surpassing Pearce.

Houston has still got to figure more in games.

It always baffles me when people say Player A is better than Player B because A won a flag.
Going by that logic:
Josh Mahoney is a better player than Travis Boak, Robbie Gray, Hamish Hartlett, Brad Ebert ect because he one a premiership. It doesn't make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back