Best Port players from the rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm genuinely curious as to your reasoning. Winning a premiership requires so many things to go right for the team and the club. Being a member of a premiership team is a tremendous achievement but I don't see how that makes a player automatically better than a player who does not play in a premiership (if that is your reasoning).

I do agree with your choice, but not the margin, and quite possibly for different reasons.

i do agree. because on that reasoning Thurstans and Bishop are better players than Boak and Gray

It always baffles me when people say Player A is better than Player B because A won a flag.
Going by that logic:
Josh Mahoney is a better player than Travis Boak, Robbie Gray, Hamish Hartlett, Brad Ebert ect because he one a premiership. It doesn't make sense.
It only applies if two great players are otherwise unable to be split. Then you can argue the one with the flag is better as they were a key part of getting that flag. Part of being a great player is dragging your team to finals and flag wins, or least being a very important part of it.

For players who aren't great, they aren't going to be the difference, so it's not a player splitting point.

It only applies if two great players are otherwise unable to be split. Then you can argue the one with the flag is better as they were a key part of getting that flag. Part of being a great player is dragging your team to finals and flag wins, or least being a very important part of it.

For players who aren't great, they aren't going to be the difference, so it's not a player splitting point.

I agree, although I believe it could also be said that a rookie who becomes Captain (Jonas) and leads his team at the top of the ladder for a whole season has also achieved something above and beyond his skill as a player. It certainly wasn't his performances in the finals that stopped us from jagging a premiership. Just to become a captain after being listed as a rookie is an achievement in itself. Granted his elevation may be somewhat controversial for a couple of reasons.

But he was sole captain this year and stepped up his game as the best captains do. Was very unlucky IMO not to be in the AA team but made the squad. Something Pearce did not do. Does this count when rating the players?

However people use this logic to say Jonathan Brown clearly a better CHF than Tredrea because Brown has 3 flags.
His 3 flags were won in the first 4 years of his career where he hardly dragged his team to winning the premierships... Tredrea is a premiership captain.

However people use this logic to say Jonathan Brown clearly a better CHF than Tredrea because Brown has 3 flags.
His 3 flags were won in the first 4 years of his career where he hardly dragged his team to winning the premierships... Tredrea is a premiership captain.
Yeah, but that's people thinking they are equally good then uses premierships to split them. That's their stupidity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back