Best premiership side out of Bulldogs 2016, Richmond 2017 and West Coast 2018

Which of these premiership sides is the best of the last 3 years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Eagles 2018 season is incredibly underrated. Undefeated in Melbourne and were easily the second best team all season (Behind Richmond). They also smashed the Tigers at Optus Stadium. Comfortably made the Grand Final without Gaff, Shep and Nic Nat.

They have started this season in awful form but when the likes of Darling, Kennedy and Nic Nat get up and running, they will be scary come September.

Why is it that all non Bulldog fans think they got favoured? Review the umpiring sub forum. There's a thread on 2016 Bulldogs in there. Everyone but Bulldog fans are not wrong

There is only a few who think this, not the majority. Most of the whiners come from supporters of teams we beat, coincidence? I think not.

how were the tigers and eagles weak lol tigers came out the year after and finished first

I never said they were.

The general conscious among footy fans is those sides were weak premiership sides.

One things forsure the bulldogs never had the luxury of playing all their finals in their own back yard, Having to travel to perth 1st week then to sydney in the prelim. Things fell richmonds way getting to play geelong at the mcg as the lower ranked club in the 1st week, then facing gws and their whole 80 supporters at the mcg in the prelim. If richmond had to travel they wouldnt have even made the grand final. Theres no doubt both the bullies and richmond got massive help from the umpires in the grand finals for the AFL (FAIRY TAIL YEARS), I'd have to say the bulldogs were the better team because they could beat good teams away something richmond couldnt do. So yeah west coast 2018 then bulldogs 2016 then Richmond 2017. And its not sour grapes either its facts.
Geez 2 years later and it still really hurts doesn’t it?

2 wins in Perth and Adelaide so far this year with an injury depleted side. You’re good at this lol
Well done. It would have to be a huge relief beating 2 teams away that won't play finals. Lets see how you go in adelaide in a few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond in '17 were irrepressible, and a bit like the Pies Runball tackle pressure and forward press of 2010 and most of 2011, was the most sustainable footy. But i do feel that the type of footy that won the flag, being manic pressure, high tackling counts and intense 2-way running is only sustainable for perhaps 1 1/2 seasons at the most. The Pies lost two and drew 2 from mid 2010 until Rd 22 2011 before Geelong's massive H & A win and GF success, and the Tigers went from 11-7 after the late loss at KP to Geelong in 2017 before a brilliant 30 weeks of footy which ended abruptly in the PF 0f 2018.

The Dogs won with a brilliant September in 2016, the Eagles had a great September in 2018, but once a little intensity drops from a side that relies on total pressure and tackling....it's a fairly quick drop to being a standard level side. The Hawks of the '12-15 era and Geelong '07-11 won a lot of games with sheer talent and skill, and perhaps lasted longer as total intensity wasn't always their method to get wins. It takes a lot out of a group of players having to be super intense and run so hard when on actual talent level one is fairly close to many competitors.

Short answer though, the Tigers were the best of the three.

Richmond in '17 were irrepressible, and a bit like the Pies Runball tackle pressure and forward press of 2010 and most of 2011, was the most sustainable footy. But i do feel that the type of footy that won the flag, being manic pressure, high tackling counts and intense 2-way running is only sustainable for perhaps 1 1/2 seasons at the most. The Pies lost two and drew 2 from mid 2010 until Rd 22 2011 before Geelong's massive H & A win and GF success, and the Tigers went from 11-7 after the late loss at KP to Geelong in 2017 before a brilliant 30 weeks of footy which ended abruptly in the PF 0f 2018.

The Dogs won with a brilliant September in 2016, the Eagles had a great September in 2018, but once a little intensity drops from a side that relies on total pressure and tackling....it's a fairly quick drop to being a standard level side. The Hawks of the '12-15 era and Geelong '07-11 won a lot of games with sheer talent and skill, and perhaps lasted longer as total intensity wasn't always their method to get wins. It takes a lot out of a group of players having to be super intense and run so hard when on actual talent level one is fairly close to many competitors.

Short answer though, the Tigers were the best of the three.
You go watch the 2013 Prelim final Between freo vs Swans and compare that to the 2017 GF.

Mind you swans had 4-6 of their 2 out but Freo bashed the swans the same way tigers beat the crows.

You go watch the 2013 Prelim final Between freo vs Swans and compare that to the 2017 GF.

Mind you swans had 4-6 of their 2 out but Freo bashed the swans the same way tigers beat the crows.

Freo were probably at their peak in that latter part of 2013, and i was at the Geelong home final, walking out of that probably was as hollow a feeling i've ever felt, maybe even more so than the 2008 GF loss. But sadly for Freo, Lyon's inability to have his sides score more than 10 goals in a GF saw them fail to beat the Hawks in the big one, even though holding them to just 80-odd points was probably as good a defensive effort as you could hope for. But his GF scores of 9.14.68, 10.8.68, 7.10.52 and 8.14.62 just weren't going to get the job done. It almost did in the draw, but seven Finals under Lyon for Freo and no scores above 100 points left him empty handed in premierships.

Freo were probably at their peak in that latter part of 2013, and i was at the Geelong home final, walking out of that probably was as hollow a feeling i've ever felt, maybe even more so than the 2008 GF loss. But sadly for Freo, Lyon's inability to have his sides score more than 10 goals in a GF saw them fail to beat the Hawks in the big one, even though holding them to just 80-odd points was probably as good a defensive effort as you could hope for. But his GF scores of 9.14.68, 10.8.68, 7.10.52 and 8.14.62 just weren't going to get the job done. It almost did in the draw, but seven Finals under Lyon for Freo and no scores above 100 points left him empty handed in premierships.
Yet People forget freo kicked 14.14.98 in that 2013 Prelim. I have enjoyed freos rebuild. Now we have a semi decent forward line. I am really keen for that rematch vs the cats too late in the season. Still think freo tanked in that infamous game vs your mob last season.

Defensively absolutely but offensively is completely different
ha ha really?

Freo averaged 93 points for 68 against in 2013.

Richmond averaged 90.5 points for, 76.5 points against.

the difference is, Freo had a shocker in the 2013 GF. Richmond played well in that 2017 GF.

For the record, I did want the Tigers to win that 2017 GF. Mainly because that stupids premiership standard stat about kicking 100 points, conceding 86.

Back