Best premiership side out of Bulldogs 2016, Richmond 2017 and West Coast 2018

Which of these premiership sides is the best of the last 3 years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast the best one for the season itself it happened in.

Dogs were the weakest of the 3 but that appears more in retrospect as they haven’t been any good since.

Richmond went from being a decent side around r15 2017 to a really good one from then on to pretty much now.
Bit harsh on the dogs. They were good throughout ‘16 and would’ve finished higher if not for injuries.

Their last 4 weeks was awesome to watch (even though they rolled us in the Prelim)

From the sheer dominance of Richmond in 2017 I would say them. A clear winner will be determined at the end of Sep this year when Richmond and WC play off in the 2019 GF.
Playing devils advocate can I ask why?
The teams and opponents were different for both Tigers and Eagles in 17 and 18, I'm not sure what relevance this year would have if your comparing those years individually?

In the year they won it, clearly West Coast. They had a higher H&A position than the other 2 teams in the year they won it which shows they were better for more of the season and they were also the only one of the three to go into the GF as favourite. WB won the Grand Final as the underdog, as did Richmond. WC won as favourite. That level of expectation BEFORE Grand Final day shows where their season was rated if you ignore the fact of their premiership.

They had also beaten all their main competitors for the flag before Grand Final day which shows sustained high level performances.

Richmond was a better side in 2018 than they were in 2017 (despite an obvious issue playing away from the G), but that has nothing to do with their 2017 Premiership and is therefore irrelevant in this discussion.

Easyyy, we missed one opportunity. Which dynasty didn’t miss one?
If they win this year and next the Tigers haven't missed one, maybe I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be, IMO the Tigers have been the best team over the last 3 seasons, they need to win this year to not blow their chance like the Power and Bombers did.

From the sheer dominance of Richmond in 2017 I would say them. A clear winner will be determined at the end of Sep this year when Richmond and WC play off in the 2019 GF.
Can I get the tattslotto numbers while you’re at it?...You could quite possibly end up being right, but making a statement so definitively is quite naive....Especially after the fact the Tigers were “certain” to make the GF last year...

It’s pretty funny that people (nuffies) just write off the Dogs 2016 because we finished 7th. Here are the win/loss records of the three teams:

2016 Dogs: 15-7 115%
2017 Tigers: 15-7 118%
2018 Eagles: 16-6 121%

Both the 2017 Tigers record and the Eagles 2018 record would have placed them at 7th in 2016, the same spot as the Dogs.

And we did what we did with a pretty miserable injury run during the H&A. I think if we hadn’t lost Murphy, Macrae, Libba, Dahlhaus, Wallis, and others for long stretches we might have won another game or two. But ultimately it didn’t matter.

IMO 2016 was the most competitive at the top end, of the three years. Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong still hadn’t tailed off (both Hawthorn and Sydney would drop the next year), GWS were at their absolute peak (it has since turned out), Adelaide were nearly at their peak. Even the Eagles in 6th were coming off a grand final and would drop off in 2017.

At the end of the day, I love that we did it from 7th in a ridiculously competive year, winning four consecutive finals, across three states, and knocking off 3/4 of the top 4. It was awesome. And unlikely to soon be repeated.

No disrespect to the Tigs & Eagles either, as they were both great sides and worthy premiers with arguments to be made for each of them (I’m not answering the thread question), just pointing out some things that get ignored about the Dogs and 2016.

It’s pretty funny that people (nuffies) just write off the Dogs 2016 because we finished 7th. Here are the win/loss records of the three teams:

2016 Dogs: 15-7 115%
2017 Tigers: 15-7 118%
2018 Eagles: 16-6 121%

Both the 2017 Tigers record and the Eagles 2018 record would have placed them at 7th in 2016, the same spot as the Dogs.

I don't think you can compare in-season records across seasons.(Did that make sense? Probably not:cool:). Is it harder to win an even competition, or one where there are several top teams and several duds?
For example - in 2016, the Dogs finished 7th. The Top 7 clubs earned 456 premiership points between them, while the bottom 7 earned 160.
In 2017, the top 7 clubs earned 404 points, while the bottom 7 earned 204.
Which is tougher? In 2016, the Dogs probably had more 'gimmee' games playing the weak teams. But they also probably had more 'tough' games because the competition at the top was so even. But maybe it was even at the top because there were no outstanding teams. Maybe the unbalanced draw had something to do with ladder positions.

It's all perception as to what you think is important. How do you rank West Coast? Sure, they won - but they were lucky that Collingwood knocked out the best team of the H&A season, and they didn't have to face them. But then they beat Collingwood - so........... (If the umpire had part that shepherding free in the last marking contests, etc, etc).

I refuse to (seriously) compare teams across seasons - even the same team. (Were Richmond 2018 better than 2017? No idea. All I know is the 2017 team won 2 extra very important games, but the 2018 team won more games overall). You are comparing different playing groups against different opponents.

Still - that's what the internet is for!! So:

Bulldogs were crap, lucky, favoured-by-umpires golden boys.
West Coast had a dream run getting the best side knocked out by someone else, and then it fits the AFL narrative to have an interstate side win occasionally.
Therefore - Tigers are best! Yay!
:):):):):):):)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the year they won it, clearly West Coast. They had a higher H&A position than the other 2 teams in the year they won it which shows they were better for more of the season and they were also the only one of the three to go into the GF as favourite. WB won the Grand Final as the underdog, as did Richmond. WC won as favourite. That level of expectation BEFORE Grand Final day shows where their season was rated if you ignore the fact of their premiership.

They had also beaten all their main competitors for the flag before Grand Final day which shows sustained high level performances.

Richmond was a better side in 2018 than they were in 2017 (despite an obvious issue playing away from the G), but that has nothing to do with their 2017 Premiership and is therefore irrelevant in this discussion.
Interesting theory. I'm not arguing for one over the other as I think it's almost impossible to do, however consider that in 2017 Richmond dominated each other top 4 side in finals, the QF, PF and smashed Crows in the GF.

Generally finals are considered where the "best" teams are decided. Otherwise Richmond of 2018 finishing 3 games clear on top should be talked about more, and how often does the highest side on the ladder win the flag anyway? It doesn't work like that...

In 2018 Finals Eagles only had to beat 1 other top 4 side (Collingwood twice) and Melbourne who didn't even make the top 4. They beat the other top 4 side Collingwood by a combined margin of 21 points. Richmond won each final by more than that, and in the GF alone smashed the top of the ladder side by 48 points...

Secondly, based on your argument of finishing higher and being the better side and winning as favorite, they didn't play or have to beat the top side in Richmond in a final. Richmond proved they could and did beat their biggest contenders. The Eagles didn't in 2018. Had of the Tigers made the GF, based on your words Eagles would have been the underdog and even if they won, for some reason that's not rated as high as if they were the favorites? Ignoring the fact they didn't play the other top 4 side as well in the Hawks, like the Tigers did in 17 beating all 3.

Finally, in looking at how they followed their flag, Tigers finished 2018 3 games clear on top and lost out in a bad PF for us. To date, our H&A season post flag is significantly better than the Eagles, and remains to be seen if Eagles will go one better in 2019 than the Tigers did.

No issue with your opinion, many probably do believe Eagles to be the best, but the logic behind your argument is incredibly poor. And I feel there is a lot of pumping up the Eagles here to talk down your loss in the GF, "well we lost to the best of the 3 so it's not as bad, they must have been the best".

What I've said above aren't based on opinion of who is the better team, I've just listed results and objective facts

Interesting theory. I'm not arguing for one over the other as I think it's almost impossible to do, however consider that in 2017 Richmond dominated each other top 4 side in finals, the QF, PF and smashed Crows in the GF.

Generally finals are considered where the "best" teams are decided. Otherwise Richmond of 2018 finishing 3 games clear on top should be talked about more, and how often does the highest side on the ladder win the flag anyway? It doesn't work like that...

In 2018 Finals Eagles only had to beat 1 other top 4 side (Collingwood twice) and Melbourne who didn't even make the top 4. They beat the other top 4 side Collingwood by a combined margin of 21 points. Richmond won each final by more than that, and in the GF alone smashed the top of the ladder side by 48 points...

Secondly, based on your argument of finishing higher and being the better side and winning as favorite, they didn't play or have to beat the top side in Richmond in a final. Richmond proved they could and did beat their biggest contenders. The Eagles didn't in 2018. Had of the Tigers made the GF, based on your words Eagles would have been the underdog and even if they won, for some reason that's not rated as high as if they were the favorites? Ignoring the fact they didn't play the other top 4 side as well in the Hawks, like the Tigers did in 17 beating all 3.

Finally, in looking at how they followed their flag, Tigers finished 2018 3 games clear on top and lost out in a bad PF for us. To date, our H&A season post flag is significantly better than the Eagles, and remains to be seen if Eagles will go one better in 2019 than the Tigers did.

No issue with your opinion, many probably do believe Eagles to be the best, but the logic behind your argument is incredibly poor. And I feel there is a lot of pumping up the Eagles here to talk down your loss in the GF, "well we lost to the best of the 3 so it's not as bad, they must have been the best".

What I've said above aren't based on opinion of who is the better team, I've just listed results and objective facts

All fair points, but I disagree with you.
West Coast was clearly the best side in 2018 and your respective ladder positions were a red herring in my opinion.

Last year the Tigers beat up on teams at the MCG. As impressive as that was, they seriously struggled away. Everyone thought a Tigers flag was a fait accompli because that's where the GF was. However, West Coast played in Melbourne 5 times for 5 wins, 3 of those against eventual top 4 sides. When they played Richmond during the season, they thumped them by 43 points.

Contrast this with Richmond, who played away from Melbourne 5 times for 4 losses. Your premiership favourite tag was undeserved IMO and this ultimately proved to be the case.

West Coast was very underrated last year as they were clearly the best side. Beat (and at no point lost to) all the best sides home and away (mostly away) and ultimately won the thing. Richmond lost to all of the other top 4 sides in 2017 (Adelaide, Geelong and GWS) which shows they weren't the best side throughout 2017 and simple came good at the right time. This is very similar to Collingwood in 2018, although we didn't get over the line.

I don't understand why you dismiss the point on ladder positions either. West Coast won the flag from second, Richmond from third and the Dogs weren't even top 4. Given all sides ultimately won the flag, the higher ladder position indicates that WC was the best of the 3 sides during the season. I don't even think it's arguable that they weren't.

Last edited:
West Coast was clearly the best side in 2018 and your respective ladder positions were a red herring in my opinion.

Last year the Tigers beat up on teams at the MCG. As impressive as that was, they seriously struggled away. Everyone thought a Tigers flag was a fait accompli because that's where the GF was. However, West Coast played in Melbourne 5 times for 5 wins, 3 of those against eventual top 4 sides. When they played Richmond during the season, they thumped them by 83 points.

Contrast this with Richmond, who played away from Melbourne 5 times for 4 losses. Your premiership favourite tag was undeserved IMO and this ultimately proved to be the case.

West Coast was very underrated last year as they were clearly the best side. Beat (and at no point lost to) all the best sides home and away (mostly away) and ultimately won the thing. Richmond lost to all of the other top 4 sides in 2017 (Adelaide, Geelong and GWS) which shows they weren't the best side throughout 2017 and simple came good at the right time. This is very similar to Collingwood in 2018, although we didn't get over the line.

I don't understand why you dismiss the point on ladder positions either. West Coast won the flag from second, Richmond from third and the Dogs weren't even top 4. Given all sides ultimately won the flag, the higher ladder position indicates that WC was the best of the 3 sides during the season. I don't even think it's arguable that they weren't.
Eagles aren't a far fetched opinion, no issues with that. I just disagree with the validity of some of your logic as I guess you do mine, but fair play there's arguments for both.

Last year the Tigers beat up on teams at the MCG. As impressive as that was, they seriously struggled away. Everyone thought a Tigers flag was a fait accompli because that's where the GF was. However, West Coast played in Melbourne 5 times for 5 wins, 3 of those against eventual top 4 sides. When they played Richmond during the season, they thumped them by 83 points.

Things that didn't happen

Yeah it was just an 8 goal hiding
7, but I digress

You can’t base the entire thing on 1 mid season game. No one goes through undefeated.

Last year Richmond were the best team from March to August (and quite clearly - 2 games is not a small margin), while West Coast were 2nd.
Then in September, West Coast were best, followed by Collingwood with GWS probably 3rd. Richmond probably only 5th best.

The one thing all of the 16, 17, 18 premiership teams have in common is being the best in September.

Back