Best quotes from Scientists

Remove this Banner Ad

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He seems to love belittling those who are flat earthers. I agree with it.
A lot of those are in the rather sizeable camp that hold back climate action. Abusing and belittling them (apart from being bigotted and just a generally shitty thing for a person to do) further alienates them from the facts and science of climate change, which creates further barriers to action.

Without trying to introduce politics in it all, it's the same narrative as to how Trump took power in the US.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of those are in the rather sizeable camp that hold back climate action. Abusing and belittling them (apart from being bigotted and just a generally shitty thing for a person to do) further alienates them from the facts and science of climate change, which creates further barriers to action.

Without trying to introduce politics in it all, it's the same narrative as to how Trump took power in the US.
I think the majority of the idiots who post crap to his twitter are just trolls looking for Cox to bite back.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

You'll never get consensus on global warming from science, as it is a spiritual thing, that needs addressing spiritually. Western Science has yet to be able to apply its knowledge spiritually. It needs to separate ego.

Apr 11, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
You'll never get consensus on global warming from science, as it is a spiritual thing, that needs addressing spiritually. Western Science has yet to be able to apply its knowledge spiritually. It needs to separate ego.
With an argument like that you could be elected to the Australian senate.
Please move to the conspiracy board.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

I also quite like this one:
"Advertising: the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it." - Stephen Leacock

He seems to love belittling those who are flat earthers. I agree with it.
I see no problem calling an idiot an idiot, especially a loud idiot.

Last edited:
ROFL.
Gravity only works if you believe in it too.
Hence the documentary program, "The flying nun".

f4986803f434b17de256dddf3cdceb62.jpg

“Nothing is so dangerous to the progress of the human mind than to assume that our views of science are ultimate, that there are no mysteries in nature, that our triumphs are complete and that there are no new worlds to conquer.” - Humphry Davy

One of my favourites (language)

Not really one for the Quotes thread, but do yourself a favour and watch "Dawkins reads his hate mail".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

The remark which I read somewhere, that science is all right as long as it doesn't attack religion, was the clue I needed to understand the problem. As long as it doesn't attack religion it need not be paid attention to and nobody has to learn anything. So it can be cut off from society except for its applications, and thus be isolated. And then we have this terrible struggle to try to explain things to people who have no reason to want to know. But if they want to defend their own point of view, they will have to learn what yours is a little bit. So I suggest, maybe correctly and perhaps wrongly, that we are too polite.

-Richard Feynman

Also: "Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel prize."

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
The theory of relativity he described as "a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense." "The theory, "he said, "wraps all these errors and fallacies and clothes them in magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king. Its exponents are very brilliant men, but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists. Not a single one of the relativity propositions has been proved."

The New York Times,
Tesla

Remove this Banner Ad

Back