Best quotes thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly catching criminals.
to understand a child you have to think like one.......

The reason I had this in my head is because I was discussing with a friend about exams, and how people cheat. I said if I was the head of university, or a school principle, I'd get a think tank group going where I'd find all the ways I could cheat in an exam. hence the quote

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
- Frank Herbert, Dune

Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority,
or if it is said to come from angels, or from gods, or from an inspired source.
Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart and mind and body and found it to be true.
Work out your own path, through diligence.
- Gautama Buddha

We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves.
- George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

If you argue with fools, eventually no-one can tell the difference. - Mark Twain (?)

I'm not addicted to cocaine, I just like the way it smells. - Richard Pryor

If you fall, I'll be there - The Floor

Post your favourite quotes here.

Ill get the ball rolling this with doozey.

“The Romans didn’t build a great civilization by having meetings. They did it by killing everyone who stood in their way.”

– From a letter Paladino sent to all of the Buffalo Niagara Partnership’s members and board, asking for Partnership CEO Andrew Rudnick’s ouster.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

- George W. Bush

Plenty more where they came from too, hard to believe he was the leader of the free world for 8 years.

"Friends, c@&#s, Romanrymen, lend me your ears. I've come to praise the berry, not to seize it" - Ian Chappell, as played by Billy Birmingham. The 12th Man, The Final Dig?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"No one, however smart, however well-educated, is the suppository of all wisdom"

"'It's not goodies versus baddies, it's baddies versus baddies"

"They're very forthright remarks, and I think that they're perfectly appropriate remarks for the Canadian Prime Minister to make. Canadia, Canada, probably has more involvement in the affairs of Europe than Australia often does, but..."

"No cuts to education, no cuts to health, no changes to pensions, no changes to GST, no cuts to ABC or SBS under any government I lead"

"If you want to put a price on carbon why not just do it with a simple tax"

"I normally have them cooked on the barbecue, but I enjoy onions!"

- some guy who was Prime Minister of Australia, I think. ;)

Some gems from Harry Potter/JK Rowling:
“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
“It is our choices..that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities”
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
“It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.”
“The truth...It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”
“Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure.”
“Do not pity the dead...Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.”
"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness"
“Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”

Last edited:
"though i'm just a pawn in natures game like you" russell morris.
"we live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology" carl sagan.
"that which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" christopher hitchens.
"how fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think' adolf hitler.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back