But I knew I never could
Cause I've got more bad habits than anyone

Well it just ain't right
That it's something I can't fight
I can't stop going out and having fun
Well I tried to be good,
But I knew I never could
Cause I've got more bad habits than anyone

From my old mans collection. Must revisit!

Last edited:

Saw this bloke at either the old Gobbles or Pinocchios nightclub. Can't remember which.
Reckon he was the most pissed or off his head on something bloke in the whole place. Deep crimson face and sweat everywhere.
Still managed to put on a great show. Sadly, but not unexpectedly, went out in a blaze of glory about a year later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are thousands of soul and gospel recordings that you could pick from to put in this thread but I'll go for the biggest hit from one of the biggest stars of 1960's r&b.

Wilson Pickett - Land of 1,000 Dances

Last edited:
It's a mystery how the thread has got this far and no one has mentioned the king of rasp, Mr Rod Stewart.

While I'm not a huge fan, this cover of Curtis Mayfield's famous 'People Get Ready' he performed with Jeff Beck is one of my favourites and obviously there are many other tracks of his if you're looking for a more 'raspy' performance.

Screechers - many to chose from, off the top of my head; Chisel's Astrid comes to mind, AC-DC/Bon's early version of Rocker, Cocker's Little Help From My friends was huge - however after careful consideration, I pick Clare Torry with Pink Floyd's The Great Gig in the Sky.
I'm also reasonably confident her effort on this track is going to be hard to top in this thread...?

It's a mystery how the thread has got this far and no one has mentioned the king of rasp, Mr Rod Stewart.

While I'm not a huge fan, this cover of Curtis Mayfield's famous 'People Get Ready' he performed with Jeff Beck is one of my favourites and obviously there are many other tracks of his if you're looking for a more 'raspy' performance.

Screechers - many to chose from, off the top of my head; Chisel's Astrid comes to mind, AC-DC/Bon's early version of Rocker, Cocker's Little Help From My friends was huge - however after careful consideration, I pick Clare Torry with Pink Floyd's The Great Gig in the Sky.
I'm also reasonably confident her effort on this track is going to be hard to top in this thread...?

His first two solo albums are gems.

You can’t have a thread on raspy vocals without the Queen. Janis Joplin.
One of the best blues singers of all time. No one sang from the heart more than Janis.
Turtle Blues blows me away every time I hear it. :hearteyes:

If Janis Joplin screeching Ball & Chain at Monterey hasn't been mentioned then every other answer in this thread is wrong.

Go back one page, although it wasn’t the Monterey version.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back