Best raspy/screeching vocal performances

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exhibit A. Wait for it!

Exhibit B. Bugger off Susan!

Exhibit C. If you can't wait, listen from 4-11 through to 4-39 for what I can only describe as voice shredding. What a talent. Bass player, song writer, singer and Australian.

Last edited:

Hound Dog - was a derogatory slang term of the time, referring to a man seeking regular casual sex, but always promising more. That's what Big Mamma's original version was about. Then when Elvis (the 3rd recording artist of the song) performed it years later it was the lyrically changed 2nd cover version that he adopted which depicted an actual dog...

Last edited:
Exhibit A. Wait for it!

Exhibit B. Bugger off Susan!

Exhibit C. If you can't wait, listen from 4-11 through to 4-39 for what I can only describe as voice shredding. What a talent. Bass player, song writer, singer and Australian.

Tal W. Mmmmm

Sorry if the title of the thread is a bit clumsy-sounding. They were the best adjectives I could come up with when I decided to create this thread. Hopefully the song examples I have included provide people with an understanding of what I am referring to.

I was interested in putting together some songs which feature raspy or screeching vocals. The songs do not necessarily feature raspy vocals all the way through, more they highlight excellent use of screeching or raspy singing to give the song a certain character.

To begin I will feature Paul McCartney, who could easily feature in 10 or 12 such songs. The song I will feature here is I’m Down. McCartney’s voice is raspy and screechy pretty much all the way through which suits the rocking nature and upbeat tempo of the song.

Another good example of Paul’s raspy vocals is in Oh Darling, which prompted John Lennon to tell Playboy magazine in his 1980 interview that if Paul “had any sense, he would have let me sing it.”
This is “Old Siam, Sir” from Paul’s Wings days.

Glad to see Old Siam, Sir. Even better we’re his 79 live performances of the song with Wings if you can find them. So glad to see you there is another oft forgotten gem, also from the back to the egg album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back