Best ROCKWIZ performances. Duets and solo performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy has a good voice.

I love that performance, by Steve, the band (esp the guitar solo) and the backing singers.

It's been one of my favourite songs since it first came out. I can remember the original clip being played on Countdown.

It's not actually a "happy" song, despite the title. It's a thinly veiled shot at several of his former Cockney Rebel bandmates who he felt betrayed him and left the band over a dispute about songwriting. It started out as a slow bluesy number, but the producer (Alan Parsons) suggested it be sped up, put the dead stops in, added the ooh, la, la's etc and the rest is history.

Here's the original clip. Steve had recruited new members to Cockney Rebel by this stage (from memory, only the drummer from the original lineup stayed with the band. (One of the original members of Cockney Rebel, Paul Jeffreys, was killed in the Lockerbie plane crash. He and his new wife were going on their honeymoon. :( ).

Last edited:
I love that performance, by Steve, the band (esp the guitar solo) and the backing singers.

It's been one of my favourite songs since it first came out. I can remember the original clip being played on Countdown.

It's not actually a "happy" song, despite the title. It's a thinly veiled shot at several of his former Cockney Rebel bandmates who he felt betrayed him and left the band over a dispute about songwriting. It started out as a slow bluesy number, but the producer (Alan Parsons) suggested it be sped up, put the dead stops in, add the ooh, la, la's etc and the rest is history.

Here's the original clip. Steve had recruited new members to Cockney Rebel by this stage (from memory, only the drummer from the original lineup stayed with the band. (One of the original members of Cockney Rebel, Paul Jeffreys, was killed in the Lockerbie plane crash. He and his new wife were going on their honeymoon. :( ).

Yes, there's a bit of Bob Dylan in his voice and phrasing as well.
I think the song is about the other band members wanting to have their own songs in the band but that wasn't the original deal.
The backup singers are great for this song as well.
That stop after the bridge has been part of his schtick for years.

Yes, there's a bit of Bob Dylan in his voice and phrasing as well.
I think the song is about the other band members wanting to have their own songs in the band but that wasn't the original deal.
The backup singers are great for this song as well.
That stop after the bridge has been part of his schtick for years.
Yeah, that's correct, he put the band together on the basis that he did all the songwriting. Three of them decided down the track that they wanted to write as well and basically put it to him as an ultimatum I think. When it didn't happen they walked (or he fired them, can't recall).

The Eye in the Sky guy?
Yes, Alan Parsons of the Alan Parsons Project fame.

He is also an engineer, producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist.

Started out at Abbey Road in the late 60s as an engineer, he worked on the Abbey Road album. He was later the engineer on Dark Side of the Moon.

Very prominent in the English music industry for over half a century. He hasn't stopped either, releasing a new solo album this year.

Love this thread.

I really liked this - I think the tempo & rawness of this makes it a better song than the recording

This one’s not bad.

Just found out Rockwiz is coming back on Foxtel.
What a travesty. F$&k Murdoch!!
SBS should be ashamed for dropping this Aussie music icon, it’s exactly the sort of show we need in thsee times of dumb f$&k reality TV bullshit that’s every second show on all the commercial channels.

Anyway, rant over, enjoy the clip.

This one’s not bad.

Just found out Rockwiz is coming back on Foxtel.
What a travesty. F$&k Murdoch!!
SBS should be ashamed for dropping this Aussie music icon, it’s exactly the sort of show we need in thsee times of dumb f$&k reality TV bullshit that’s every second show on all the commercial channels.

Anyway, rant over, enjoy the clip.

Wow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back