Moved Thread Best runner up side from 2013-15 - Fremantle, Sydney or West Coast?

Which of these runner up sides was the best?

• Total voters

kane249

IDDQD
Oct 27, 2006
Behind enemy Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sth Freo, Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Was pretty comfortable for them at half time thanks to the team having collective stage fright in front of goals, iirc the main difference in the game at that point was simply that the Hawks finished their chances and the Dockers didn’t
You could make the same argument about opponents not converting with the Eagles as well

Freo 0.3 1.6
Hawks 2.3 5.5

Eagles 1.5 3.8
Hawks 5.0 9.3

The Hawks just knew how to execute when it mattered most

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles
finished higher than the Hawks in home and away and then bent them over in the QF
but because of the staggering advantages Vic sides are gifted, had to play the Gf on their home ground..A privilege they didn't earn or deserve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea
THe 2014 Sydney team was amazing on its day, but really f’ed up in the Grand Final. I still remember that 2014 team absolutely humiliating Geelong by something like 107 points. It was the most complete and perfect display I have ever seen from a Swans team.
That game shocked me so much. Geelong were a top 4 side, so I was really confused as to what was going on. Great performance by Sydney.

Roddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Good discussion, and highlights what a big, fat pile of utter BOLLOCKS the 'Hawthorn's dynasty was not as good because of the weaker opposition' argument is. The Clarkson dynasty's opposition was:
2008 - Cats: arguably the greatest runners-up in history
2014 - Swans, finished top, had an extraordinarily powerful side that was premiers two years prior, a side that Mick described as something like 'unbeatable'.
2015 - A strong weagles side that beat us a few weeks earlier and won a flag a few years later.
And the side that got the closest to us on the day was Freo!
So bollocks to that argument....

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Freo for mine. IIRC they were deers in the headlights in the first half. 1.6.12 to half time with some easy misses in there. Came back well in the third quarter, closed the gap to three points but then Hawthorn did what Hawthorn did.

cherrypie

Debutant
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide: Rory Laird
Brisbane: Allen Christensen
Carlton: Paddy Dow
Collingwood: Brayden Maynard
Essendon: Michael Hurley
Fremantle: Rory Lobb
Geelong: Mark Blicavs
Gold Coast: Peter Wright
GWS: Jeremy Finlayson
Hawthorn: Chad Wingard
Melbourne: Jack Viney
North: Jack Ziebell
Port: Ollie Wines
Richmond: Josh Caddy
St Kilda: Jake Carlisle
Sydney: Isaac Heeney
West Coast: Dom Sheed
Bulldogs: Bailey Williams

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Adelaide: Rory Laird
Brisbane: Allen Christensen
Carlton: Paddy Dow
Collingwood: Brayden Maynard
Essendon: Michael Hurley
Fremantle: Rory Lobb
Geelong: Mark Blicavs
Gold Coast: Peter Wright
GWS: Jeremy Finlayson
Hawthorn: Chad Wingard
Melbourne: Jack Viney
North: Jack Ziebell
Port: Ollie Wines
Richmond: Josh Caddy
St Kilda: Jake Carlisle
Sydney: Isaac Heeney
West Coast: Dom Sheed
Bulldogs: Bailey Williams
Was this post meant to be in the thread about overrated players?

jsdsgn

Team Captain
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers, Packers, Wests Tigers
Fremantle was the most competitive on the day but I think the Swans were definitely the best outfit - they had a bad day though.
Swans were consistent throughout that 2012-17 period, always a top 4 side. Unlucky not to have 2 or possibly even 3 flags.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
They werent flashy but Freo for me. Just really disciplined and effective, if they kicked better and didn't miss a lot of gettable shots early (1.6 to half time 8.14 for the match), they could have easily won that.

Despite the poor kicking they were still in the match til very late, 10 down at 3 quarter time and 15 down by the end.

Edit: over the seasons though Swans probably the best outfit on paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

emuboy

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Option 4 - None of the above.

Fremantle, Sydney and the West Coast Eagles were all soundly beaten by Hawthorn in these Grand Finals and never did any of them look a chance of winning.

Top Bottom