projectaero

Team Captain
May 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Diego Chargers
I made a post a while ago about first time at the Gabba and things to do.
And since i will be coming up for a game i dont mind spending extra on better seating.

What seats are a must?
Is it better to sit the higher up or the verandah, areavips, corporate boxes, front row on the ground.

Just trying to get a good indicator of what will be awesome.
For someone experiencing the Gabba front row or close to the action will be better than level 2.

Thoughts?

I love centre southern wing top tier, I'm in row NN at the moment but would prefer a few rows further down as an ideal placement ie around row H, I.

Honestly think first couple of rows of the upper tier, around section 70-71 are the best seats in the house, other than perhaps the corporate boxes directly below. Interchange boundary side is a must, slightly closer to the Lions end. up high enough to see the whole play, and still very close to the action (the very front of the top deck at the Gabba is not like MCG or Marvel where you are miles away).
If it’s an afternoon game you ideally want further round in section 73 to avoid the sun.
The bottom tier is great to feel the hits, but the ground is steeply sloped for the tropical rain, and the other side of the field can be difficult to see. If you’re on the vertically challenged side, the bottom tier has almost no rake, so you’ll end up looking at the back of someone’s head for most of the game.

This link below will help you in your decision
It gives you a 360 degree view from a particular section at the Gabba.
You can't pick a row or seat number though. But you can work it out close enough

As posters mention a section number you just enter that section number and click GO
Or click on that section number on the map. Or just explore yourself. Blue area is for Gabba Members only.
Then a small window pops up
Click on the "full screen" icon
By a click on the screen you can adjust the view. High /low/left/right. Look carefully and you will see a seat number.
Seating is A or AA being the front row to Z if it goes that far back

Keys2myBeamas has mentioned the OLD section numbers 70-73. However the seat numbers have not changed
I believe 70-73 is now sections 425 to 428 or their about

I don’t know what the new numbering is but under the old numbering, I like where we sit in Section 67.

We sit directly above and I think between the coaches boxes and interchanges, the gates are right in front of us. The centre square is slightly off square to us but it’s not by a massive amount. But from around the front of the top tier is a great vantage point of the ground, and around this section of the ground I feel the seats are better spaced somehow too - I’ve sat over near the school before and it felt a lot more cramped.

I've been sitting around section 401 and I really like it there. Unfortunately gotta move now cause we got some absolute nutbag sitting behind us. Moving into the members section 439.

I don't like the seats on the Stanley Street side especially during afternoon games where you just get smashed by the sun.

Pre-ordering Collingwood game. It is saying Level 400 mobile ticket transfer.

Is this ‘best in best dressed’, so if if I turn up early I can probably get a seat in Sections 422-426? Or do I need to also reserve a seat?

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.
The sections you mentioned 422-426 are reserved seating so no to "best in best dressed"
Not sure how "pre-ordering Collingwood game" tickets works. I don't believe a Lions supporter can do this at this early stage
Is it something done via the Collingwood Football Club Site ??.
Or are you at MCC member/Gabba Cricket Club member ??
The Cricket club have sections 401 to 405 top tier & 201 to 206 bottom tier. Not sure how they allocate tickets.

To try and answer your query i tried to get tickets for that game but nothing available other than AFLW preseason via Ticketmaster

Around Section 440 (the old 43 - 44) upper Northern side, you need to be back about Row KK - you never get an afternoon sun in your eyes, it's doesn't rain up there even when a Southerly drives the rain into other areas and your on a wing so see the whole ground plus your in-between both scoreboards to watch any vision. Another benefit is that your opposite the benches so can see in if players are being treated or no for injuries. It took us several years to get to these seats but have been there now over 15 years.

Around Section 440 (the old 43 - 44) upper Northern side, you need to be back about Row KK - you never get an afternoon sun in your eyes, it's doesn't rain up there even when a Southerly drives the rain into other areas and your on a wing so see the whole ground plus your in-between both scoreboards to watch any vision. Another benefit is that your opposite the benches so can see in if players are being treated or no for injuries. It took us several years to get to these seats but have been there now over 15 years.
I am below your section and under cover. In general both these sections are good viewing. Your positives are also correct
During the 2 covid seasons i have had seats in your section and others
I nearly bit the bullet this year and changed to somewhere over the other side. I liked sitting around the 424 section
However i stayed as their was no guarantee i would find suitable seats. Mainly because of increased membership numbers which is fantastic
My reason for thinking of the change is the game is played mostly on the interchange side of the ground for some years now.
So with most play on the opposite side it is hard on my aging eyes ha ha.
The two big screens are very helpful although they are about 1-2 seconds behind actual live.

This came about many years ago when the interchanges increased to crazy numbers.
With a gradual reduction of numbers to the present 75 things have turned around slightly.
Still the game is played mostly on the interchange side of grounds
I was hoping the AFL would reduce the interchange number down to 60 for season 2022
Not to suit my present seating arrangement though.
I have said for many years that 60 is a reasonable number with no changes at any breaks. A late injury excluded

I wanted to change my 4 seats this year due to some issues with the people sitting nearby. Contacted the club and got better seats (closer to centre wing and a couple of rows closer to the front than my previous seats). It was a painless experience dealing with the club and we got a great outcome.

Will not be attending games this unfortunately, only a non-attendance membership. Difficult to go with work and a 10 month old during a pandemic. Hopefully be back to attending games in 2023. Just hope I can get back somewhere near my previous hood seats!

With a gradual reduction of numbers to the present 75 things have turned around slightly.
Still the game is played mostly on the interchange side of grounds
I was hoping the AFL would reduce the interchange number down to 60 for season 2022
Not to suit my present seating arrangement though.
I have said for many years that 60 is a reasonable number with no changes at any breaks. A late injury excluded
I reckon they ought to make interchanges unlimited... but... only allow them after goals.

If the hypothesis is true that higher interchange brings scoring down, the game will find a natural equilibrium between interchanges and scoring.

Obviously blood rule remains as is. And if there is a genuine injury, the player can be replaced during play, but to stop teams from gaming the system, the replaced player must spend a minimum of a quarter (or maybe half a quarter) on the pine.

HI

Looking to buy tickets for Gabba for the first time. Is the front row at the top tier Row A or Row AA?

Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming up for the Melbourne Game - This thread has been very helpful. Where is the best place for a meal before the game? Somewhere the Lions supporters congregate.
The Pineapple is the unofficial Lions pub, however my favourite around the Gabba precinct is The Morrison Hotel, went there before the Q Clash, fantastic steaks, nice atmosphere, although always busy before games and food takes a while to come out, I think you would need to book and at least 90 minutes before bouncedown.

The other one I like is Frankie's Smokehouse, again very busy, we tried to book in there for the Q Clash and it was booked out, food comes out pretty quick, I can smell them smoking it early mornings when I cycle past on my way to Yoga class. Our group is going to try and get a table there for a pre game meal in Round 23.

I'd be booking as soon as the Round 23 dates and bouncedown times are released 3KZ, just roll up and you will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Coming up for the Melbourne Game - This thread has been very helpful. Where is the best place for a meal before the game? Somewhere the Lions supporters congregate.
The Pineapple is the unofficial Lions pub, however my favourite around the Gabba precinct is The Morrison Hotel, went there before the Q Clash, fantastic steaks, nice atmosphere, although always busy before games and food takes a while to come out, I think you would need to book and at least 90 minutes before bouncedown.

The other one I like is Frankie's Smokehouse, again very busy, we tried to book in there for the Q Clash and it was booked out, food comes out pretty quick, I can smell them smoking it early mornings when I cycle past on my way to Yoga class. Our group is going to try and get a table there for a pre game meal in Round 23.

I'd be booking as soon as the Round 23 dates and bouncedown times are released 3KZ, just roll up and you will be disappointed.

Also coming up for the Melbourne game and will be hoping for a much better outing after witnessing their demolition job at the G. Can't believe I've never been to the Gabbatoir and am very much looking forward to soaking up the Queensland weather.

Might try and grab seats between sections 425 to 428 based on the responses in this thread and head to some of the restaurants you have mentioned M Malice.

Will be nice to experience a home crowd for a change.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the info!
Can anyone tell me is there a best place to sit as a non-member to be close to where the players run out from/where they sit on the bench? Have never sat near there before and thought it could be fun? Is it around section 240? What do you think of these seats?
Thanks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back