Best semi-finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
As it's semi-finals week, I was interested in what you consider the best ever SFs, especially in the AFL era. Few really stick in the memory, one being 2005 Sydney vs Geelong with Nick Davis starring (an otherwise dour affair, as most mid 00s Swans matches were), and of course Bulldogs Hawthorn in 2016. Be good to rematch some of the highlights/relive some of the memories while waiting for the weekend.

Hawks vs dogs in 2016 was pretty exciting. Big comeback by the dogs!

Lions seem to have a reputation as finals chokers and going out in straight sets, however we lost our semi in 2019 against eventual grand finalists in GWS in dubious circumstances (Mumford throw to Daniels winning goal) and again in 2021 to eventually grand finalist in the Bulldogs with an equally dubious centre bound ruck free kick which then saw the dogs kick the winning point.

Absolutely shafted and we competed admirably in both games as a fairly inexperienced team.

Last edited:

Found this video. I forget if some of these games were SFs or EFs, but yeah of course there's 2007 (shudder) and 2011.

2002 Melbourne vs Adelaide was a ripper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions seem to have a reputation as finals chokers and going out in straight sets, however we lost our semi in 2019 against eventual grand finalists in GWS in dubious circumstances (Mumford throw to Daniels winning goal) and again in 2021 to eventually grand finalist in the Bulldogs with an equally dubious centre bound ruck free kick which then saw the dogs kick the winning point.

Absolutely shafted and we competed admirably in both games as a fairly inexperienced team.
The loss against Geelong in 2020 was the Lions worst finals defeat from the Fagan era. They had spanked Richmond at home in the QF only to not turn up in the prelim.

The loss against Geelong in 2020 was the Lions worst finals defeat from the Fagan era. They had spanked Richmond at home in the QF only to not turn up in the prelim.
Dafuq? It was 69 to 54. In what world do you consider a 15 point win a "spanking". There was 8 points in it with 5 mins to go. Free kicks were 17-11 Brisbane's way and about 4x 50m penalties to 0. Tigers also didn't have Lynch playing.

1994 I think Geelong played Carlton at VFL Park. On the morning of the game we lost Hocking, Couch and Bairstow - thought we were no chance. Aaron Lord in his second game and Liam Pickering played blinders for the cats to win comfortably in an upset. (Was the old system where cats finished 4th, won in week 1, then played the second placed Carlton who lost in the first week)

Maybe not so great for neutrals but memorable for what it was.

North vs Geelong 2014.

In fact, that 2014 semi final weekend was one of the best I can remember.
Two teams knocked out in straight sets. Two ripping games of footy.
Recall North having the better of that one pretty easily until a late surge from the cats almost got them home.

And yes 2x straight sets after it had not happened in years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back