Best semi-finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 - Geelong vs Essendon - the beginning of the finals drought :p

2014 north vs geelong is a forgotten good one, should add Hawthorn over Port in 2001 as well given how big of an upset it was at the time

A lot of people saying 2014 North v Geelong and I want to lend my voice to that one. Incredible 2 weeks for me as an 18 year old North supporter, watching Drew Petrie break Essendon's hearts, backed up by holding off the team of the late 2000s and early 2010s to knock them out in straight sets, which hadn't happened for a decade or more. Todd Goldstein's game saving intercept mark will always stand out in my memory.

2009-10 both had similar shaky #4 comebacks in tight finishes against form #5s, sort of your ideal SF template that. Dangerous looking Crows & Swans both kicking themselves, Pies & Dogs restoring some confidence. In 2010 you also had the sentiment of Kirk/Roos last game for the club (or Brad Johnson if they’d won).

Last edited:
2007 SF draw between WCE and Coll. Pies then won in extra time

2009 SF between Coll and Adel is still my favourite with the Jack Anthony goal in the last play of the game and then the tears from the Crows supporters 🤣🤣🤣
Not good.....

Whatever happened to Anthony? Faded away pretty quickly?

Lions seem to have a reputation as finals chokers and going out in straight sets, however we lost our semi in 2019 against eventual grand finalists in GWS in dubious circumstances (Mumford throw to Daniels winning goal) and again in 2021 to eventually grand finalist in the Bulldogs with an equally dubious centre bound ruck free kick which then saw the dogs kick the winning point.

Absolutely shafted and we competed admirably in both games as a fairly inexperienced team.

Nothing dubious about it. McInerney goes past the middle of the circle while looking at English and the ball drops behind him. That's a block every day of the week. A free at a pivotal time is still a free. Awful work by McInerney.

Ripping game though.

1694504796509.png

Last edited:
Hawks vs dogs in 2016 was pretty exciting. Big comeback by the dogs!
Not really... People were excited to see the Hat-trick Hawks get their arses handed to them, maybe

The match itself was old-fashioned flogging..

Hawks kicked 3 quick goals early in the 2nd term to get out to a 23 point lead
But the Dogs replied with 3 quick goals of their own to go in at half time trailing by just 1 point.

The 3rd quarter was all Bulldogs. They kicked Hawthorn off the park with 6 goals to 1. It was emphatic.
Then they booted the first 3 goals in the last quarter...

Score: Bulldogs 15.11.101, Hawthorn 8.10.58

The Hawks added some "respectability" to the scoreboard with 4 goals in junk time and lost by 23 points.

Not exactly the most exciting semi final ever played. Everyone was sick of Hawthorn by that stage... and most footy fans were fully on the Bulldogs bandwagon, so the match was very well received.

I find this to be the least interesting of the four finals weeks. That might just be because my team has a bad history of losing in week 2.

It's because there's usually a gulf between the top 4 and the rest of the 8. This is the week for beltings by QF losers looking to get momentum/not fail to make a preliminary after making the top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans v Cats 05 is the best SF I've seen. I think it was Huddo, or maybe one of the other commentators that night, that said it's the loudest crowd they've ever heard. It was absolutely bonkers.
It had a very memorable finish but for the most part the game was really crap and lower quality than expected. Swans were so far from their best and whilst the Cats did turn up they weren’t really that much chop either. I remember watching it and thinking ‘...really...’

Whilst it was a fun finals series (particularly the Swans) I don’t think any of the 9 games were really that high quality as a contest.

Last edited:
Johnny Barker had a great last quarter from memory

He had a migraine at half time and went had a sleep during the break. Came back out and kicked two goals - one from the impossible pocket at Football Park and the second the winner.

My first trip interstate to watch the Hawks and one of the best weekends of my life

Not really... People were excited to see the Hat-trick Hawks get their arses handed to them, maybe

The match itself was old-fashioned flogging..

Hawks kicked 3 quick goals early in the 2nd term to get out to a 23 point lead
But the Dogs replied with 3 quick goals of their own to go in at half time trailing by just 1 point.

The 3rd quarter was all Bulldogs. They kicked Hawthorn off the park with 6 goals to 1. It was emphatic.
Then they booted the first 3 goals in the last quarter...

Score: Bulldogs 15.11.101, Hawthorn 8.10.58

The Hawks added some "respectability" to the scoreboard with 4 goals in junk time and lost by 23 points.

Not exactly the most exciting semi final ever played. Everyone was sick of Hawthorn by that stage... and most footy fans were fully on the Bulldogs bandwagon, so the match was very well received.

I still remember the moment of realisation.

Bruce, after another Dogs last quarter goal, said 'what this means, is that one of GWS or the Western Bulldogs will be in this year's Grand Final'.

It felt like such a big deal. And I was content with what we'd achieved. It helped that my Dad is a long suffering Dogs supporter, so wouldn't have wanted any other side to end our dynasty.

I find this to be the least interesting of the four finals weeks. That might just be because my team has a bad history of losing in week 2.
It's because the reward for wining is less than a prelim or a qualifier.

The hosts are just desperate to avoid going out in straight sets.

Teams 5-8 ranked teams almost never win the flag, and while they hope for a miracle, they just don't expect to go that far. Everything after the elimination final is just treated as finals experience.

1989 Cats v Demons
Ablett 22 kicks, 2 handballs, 14 marks, 4 tackles, 7 goals 7 behinds playing on a wing/flank.
Recall all the talk that week was who would tag Couch and Bairstow, so old mate Blight started them both on the bench for 20 minutes!!

1978 1st semi was peak Collingwood v Carlton, an absolute car park brawl lol, would be called off after ten minutes these days

1994 I think Geelong played Carlton at VFL Park. On the morning of the game we lost Hocking, Couch and Bairstow - thought we were no chance. Aaron Lord in his second game and Liam Pickering played blinders for the cats to win comfortably in an upset. (Was the old system where cats finished 4th, won in week 1, then played the second placed Carlton who lost in the first week)

Maybe not so great for neutrals but memorable for what it was.
No Mansfield as well that day. He was AA that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back