Best semi-finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

1994 I think Geelong played Carlton at VFL Park. On the morning of the game we lost Hocking, Couch and Bairstow - thought we were no chance. Aaron Lord in his second game and Liam Pickering played blinders for the cats to win comfortably in an upset. (Was the old system where cats finished 4th, won in week 1, then played the second placed Carlton who lost in the first week)

Maybe not so great for neutrals but memorable for what it was.

One of the most disappointing games I’ve been to. 94 was more disappointing than 93 for me.

1994 I think Geelong played Carlton at VFL Park. On the morning of the game we lost Hocking, Couch and Bairstow - thought we were no chance. Aaron Lord in his second game and Liam Pickering played blinders for the cats to win comfortably in an upset. (Was the old system where cats finished 4th, won in week 1, then played the second placed Carlton who lost in the first week)

Maybe not so great for neutrals but memorable for what it was.
It was grey, wet, and cold as *.

Not the most enjoyable drive home.

It turned out alright for us in 2015. Lost in Perth in the QF than smacked Adelaide and than went back to Perth and beat Freo which got us the rematch with West Coast in the GF and the rest is history. Not many teams have traveled to Perth twice in the same finals series and won the flag. Meaning nobody else has done it.
Probably should have been three trips to Perth too, if it was a fair system. That would have been pretty extraordinary.

Probably should have been three trips to Perth too, if it was a fair system. That would have been pretty extraordinary.
Fair system? Do you mean "fair" like the AFL's seeding system when they do the 2015 fixture and they make the reigning 2014 premiers, Hawthorn play the 3 next-best teams twice (Swans, Port, Cats), plus away games in their only matches vs three other interstate teams in the top half of the ladder?

Meanwhile the 9th-placed Eagles were scheduled only one "double up" fixture against a top 8 team (vs Freo)

Yeah, that's really "fair"... :rolleyes:

Hawthorn played West Coast three times in 2015... the first 2 games in Perth... and the last, in the Grand Final... at the home of football... where the Grand Final has been played for 120 years.

And you're saying it would've only been a "fair" system if the Hawks had played the Eagles 3 times (out of 3) in Perth after they had been given a tougher fixture ???

Seems legit.

Last edited:
Fair system?

Do you mean "fair" like the AFL's seeding system when they do the 2015 fixture and they make the reigning 2014 premiers, Hawthorn play the 3 next-best teams twice (Swans, Port, Cats), plus away games in their only matches vs three other interstate teams in the top half of the ladder?

Meanwhile the 9th-placed Eagles were scheduled only one "double up" fixture against a top 8 team (vs Freo)

Yeah, that's really fair... :rolleyes:

Hawthorn played West Coast three times in 2015... the first 2 games in Perth... and the last, in the Grand Final... at the home of football... where the Grand Final has been played for 120 years.

And you're saying it would've only been a "fair" system if the Hawks had played the Eagles 3 times (out of 3) in Perth after they had been given a more favourable fixture ???

Hmmm... Seems legit.

What else? Maybe a 7 goal head start? Would that have made things even fairer?
Jesus no need to get so upset just saying three games in four weeks in Perth would have been unprecedented and pretty amazing. Even more so if the Hawks won the GF.

Not my fault West Coast finished higher and won all their finals.

Jesus no need to get so upset just saying three games in four weeks in Perth would have been unprecedented and pretty amazing. Even more so if the Hawks won the GF.

Not my fault West Coast finished higher and won all their finals.
Amazing the way Geelong nuffies have joined in lately with Eagles and Crows nuffies in moaning about the "unfairness" of playing Grand Finals at the traditional Grand Final venue and poisoning every fricken main board discussion with this petulant childish whining

What an awesome thing to bitch about for the next 35 years. :rolleyes:

Well done :thumbsu:

A whole other fanbase to basically put on ignore while discussing the footy here on the main board at the pointy end of the season.

Geelong
West Coast
Adelaide
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Sydney

Hawthorn
Carlton
St Kilda
Essendon
Richmond
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Collingwood
Western Bulldogs
Brisbane
Gold Coast
GWS

Last edited:
Even though my team lost by a point and 3 points respectively, the semis for Brisbane against Western Bulldogs (2021) and GWS (2019) at the Gabba over the last few years were some of the most exciting games of their respective seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back