Best Shirtfront You've Seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

seconded. there's something almost poetic about the way Kemp's body does a 180 and his head is the first thing to hit the ground.

would get 8 weeks today.

so it should, it’s a cowardly hit on a bloke who isn’t looking and leaves him with damage to his brain. Nothing tough about that.

Dunno if this one has been mentioned before, but Woosha Worsfold against a rampaging Ablett in a SoO match from the early 90's. Ablett, as per usual, presented his elbow, yet Woosha managed to collect him with just about the fairest hip & shoulder you could imagine.

That was monstrous, it's at the end of this clip:

This thread disappoints with a lack of videos

Yep, that's where I would have seen it! Glad you were able to track that one down!

I probably posted this years ago in the same thread but CBF searching for it - Gary Ablett Senior cleaned up Carlton's Wayne Johnston at Kardinia Park in the late 1980's (I think) with a classic Ablett shirtfront. To this day I can still hear the sound of the impact.

Brad Shine hit Dean Laidley so hard at leederville oval early 80s??. Then stepped over him and did not flinch. Tough bugger was Brad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dermott Brereton on Paul Van Da Har on the members wing at Waverley in the 80's
The best thing about that bump was that it was a 2nd Semi Final and it literally changed the momentum of the game

The Bombers were on fire up until that point. The Hawks were struggling and trailed by 4 goals

Then Dermie ironed out Van der Haar with a brutal, clean hit - the perfect shepherd for Pritchard who raced into goal - and from there, the Hawks switched on and crushed Essendon.

I can't remember another big game where all the momentum shifted so abuptly from one single incident.

Subiaco v West Perth at Subiaco Oval in the mid 90's

Richard Ambrose (Subi) cleaned up Dean Brunton (WP) with the cleanest hip and shoulder I have seen live. What made it even better was there would have been only 500 people in a ground holding 40k and the noise reverberated around the near empty stadium.

Not actually a shirtfront this. But one of the best fair bumps you could ever wish to see. When you consider it is layed by an 18yo in his first season against a very strong mature player, it is all the more remarkable. Take note of the proper bumping action, ie, leading with the hip then shoulder rather than as we so often see these days, head and shoulder. Not one bit of head contact, but I have never seen a player running flat out in one direction being made to slide metres in the opposite direction by the sheer force of a bump like this.

As a side note I played a lot of country footy and was on the giving and receiving end of some decent shirtfronts. When you ran through someone with a proper shirtfront it felt sort of similar to smashing your driver down the middle, or nailing a torp or middling a big 6, you sort of barely felt it. However, I was on the receiving end of a proper shirtfront once, no head contact but absolutely perfectly delivered hip and shoulder right up the middle, jesus it hurt. Always a massive shock to the system as well. You really haven’t lived until that has happened to you at least once. 😂😩😩😩

Remove this Banner Ad

Back