• Sam Simpson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zach Guthrie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jackson Thurlow

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope this is the right spot, do you guys not rate Cunico at all?

His 'career' comprises of two games. In the first (last year) he had 12 disposals. His second game was last Sunday.

In addition to Taylor and Henderson, Geelong is currently missing Ablett, Cockatoo, CGuthrie and McCarthy.
If all players were available, I think Cunico would miss out.

Good post, as much as I like McCarthy, I reckon Fogarty is ahead now... Bigger, get's more of the pill, and has the Joel Selwood like attack on the pill. Hungry.

I guess we'll wait and see what happens if/when McCarthy is available again. He's the type of fringe player who would probably have to earn selection via the reserves, as opposed to someone like Ablett, Henderson or Taylor.

Some of us quite like Cunico, he's just barely had any exposure at AFL level so it's not easy to give him a fair appraisal.

Why do you ask if we don't rate him?

Some of us quite like Cunico, he's just barely had any exposure at AFL level so it's not easy to give him a fair appraisal.

Why do you ask if we don't rate him?

For Dream Team purposes, I had a quick read of this thread and there's barely a mention of him

For Dream Team purposes, I had a quick read of this thread and there's barely a mention of him

Safe to say that he wasn't expected to be best 22 coming into the year, but that's not really a slight on him.

He performs like he did last week and he'll keep earning his place.

Safe to say that he wasn't expected to be best 22 coming into the year, but that's not really a slight on him.

There's posts from a few days ago with no mention of him ;)

Best 22 in my mind now:

FB: Bews Koldjashnij Taylor
HB: Touhy Henderson Stewart
C: Kelly J.Selwood S.Selwood
HF: Ablett Ratugolea Fogarty
FF: Cockatoo Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith, Dangerfield, Duncan
I/C: Parfitt, Blicavs, Menegola, Cunico
Emg: C.Guthrie, GHS, Gregson, Murdoch,

- Playing Blicavs as a KPD until both Harry & Hendo are back.

I think that's a cracking side and if we get everyone fit that's some big names left out of the quad that can rotate in. Never would h

HB: Touhy Henry Stewart
C: Kelly Duncan S.Selwood
HF: Fogarty, Ratugolea, Cocky
FF: Danger, Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith, Ablett, J Selwood
I/C: Parfitt, Blicavs, Menegola, Cunico
Emg: Cramerie, GHS, Murdoch, Gregson,

I think Cramerie might sneak in somehow, he will find touch and be important by the end of the year.
If Menzel goes down we have a replacement.
Sav has so much upside.
I am concerned about Henderson recovering and finding form
Does Stanley or the Guthries get in??

Looks like a very strong side with grunt and speed.

B: Bews Taylor Kolo
HB: Tuohy Henderson Stewart
C: Duncan Ablett SSelwood
HF: Menegola Menzel Cockatoo
F: Parfitt Hawkins McCarthy
R: Smith Dangerfield JSelwood
I: Blicavs Kelly CGuthrie Ratugolea
E: Stanley Horlin-Smith Cunico Henry

I deliberately have Ratugolea as the 4th player on the bench, as he is the 22nd player I would pick.
With his ability to play as 2nd ruck, this would mean Blicavs would be free to be a backup defender / midfielder.
However with Hawkins and Menzel (and Menegola, Cockatoo, Parfitt, McCarthy, Dangerfield, Ablett), there is plenty of goal scoring ability in the team already. If Horlin-Smith / Cunico / Fogarty or someone else continues to have a good-ish season, then they could be the 22nd player selected, and Blicavs could be used as 2nd ruck.

HB: Touhy Henry Stewart

I am concerned about Henderson recovering and finding form

Do you seriously think Henderson is not in the best 22?

I know it’s very unlikely for all of them to be fit at the same time but I’m already getting very excited to potentially have Parfitt, Menzel, Cockatoo, and possibly McCarthy all playing seniors together within the next 3-5 weeks. Gregson, Murdoch, Parsons isn’t the worst forward depth at all.

Assuming Henderson is out for the year.

My Best 22 would look something like this:
FB: Bews - Blicavs - Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy - Taylor - Stewart
C: Duncan - S. Selwood - Kelly
HF: Parfitt - Ratugolea - Ablett
FF: Menzel - Hawkins - Cockatoo
R: Smith - Dangerfield - J. Selwood
(INT: Menegola, Fogarty are the two I’ve got locked on the bench, otherwise it’s a toss up between a handful of players for the remaining two spots).

Still figuring out the best interchange for that side.

Also 50/50 on whether McCarthy is best 22 or not. If he is then I’d probably only have one of Menzel/Ratugolea (as good as Esava has been) and go with a smaller forward line of Cockatoo, Parfitt, Ablett, McCarthy.

Defensive depth you’ve got Henry, C. Guthrie, Z. Guthrie (House good signs in VFL without getting a debut yet).

Inside midfield depth you’ve got Horlin-Smith, with other players in the best 22 I’ve picked who can rotate inside. (Constable good signs in VFL without getting debut yet. Narkle after getting through a few VFL games in a row could be pushing for debut). Outside midfield depth you’ve got Thurlow & Cunico. O’Connor has at least played a few senior games. Simpson too.

Tall forward depth you’ve got Buzza/Stanley who at least have some experience in the seniors. Smaller forward depth you’ve got Gregson, Murdoch & Parsons.

Possibly missing a few players I’ve forgotten (edit: yep Crameri I forgot) as depth but either way if the 3 of Menzel, Parfitt, Cockatoo can get fit and stay fit we’ll become an even more dangerous side with their x-factor in the team.

After thinking through it I’ll give my 2 remaining interchange spots to Thurlow and McCarthy I reckon (in which case I could fit McCarthy, Esava & Menzel in the same team so ignore what I wrote above haha).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolded 'seven players' are to come back into side because they have been either injured or suspended and who also did not play in todays winning game against Collingwood.... here's hoping!

FB: Jed Bews Mark Blicavs Jake Kolodjashnij
HB: Zach Tuohy Harry Taylor Tom Stewart
C: Mitch Duncan Joel Selwood Cameron Guthrie
HF: Nakia Cockatoo Esava Ratugolea Brandan Parfitt
FF: Daniel Menzel Tom Hawkins Lincoln McCarthy
R: Zac Smith Patrick Dangerfield Gary Ablett

INT: Tim Kelly Scott Selwood Sam Menegola Stewart Crameri

Below are a list of remaining players that still can come into side through injury or lack of form of others in the above team -

Jack Henry Lachie Fogarty Jordan Cunico George Horlin-Smith Jordan Murdoch
Jackson Thurlow Cory Gregson Rhys Stanley Wylie Buzza Zach Guthrie James Parsons

With all the discussion of Geelongs best 22 and after going through Best Side 2018 I though t we could try to get a general consensus on who our fully fit starting 22 should be.

The 14 players below seemed to be in everyone's best side (at least in recent times) and with only 22 poll options I thought I would limit it to those who have played a game (excluding O'conner)

Zach Touhey
Gary Ablett
Harry Taylor
Jake Kolodjashnij
Daniel Menzel
Tim Kelly
Joel Selwood
Scott Selwood
Mitch Duncan
Jed Bews
Tom Hawkins
Patrick Dangerfield
Tom Stewart
Mark Blicavs

So pick the next eight players to make your fully fit team.

Last edited:
Fwd:Menzel, Ratugoela, Crameri
Menengola, Hawkins, Parfitt.
Mids: Danger, J Selwood, Ablett
S Selwood, Smith, Duncan.
Back: Touhey, Henry, Bews.
Blicavs, Taylor, Stewart.
Int: Kelly, Thurlow, Kolo, GHS.
Hard to squeeze in Murdoch and C Guthrie. I think the battle for 22nd is between GHS Guthrie and Murdoch. I don’t think we’ll see Hendo this year and I don’t think utensil will get a good run of games under his belt.

Last edited:
With all the discussion of Geelongs best 22 and after going through Best Side 2018 I though t we could try to get a general consensus on who our fully fit starting 22 should be.

The 14 players below seemed to be in everyone's best side (at least in recent times) and with only 22 poll options I thought I would limit it to those who have played a game (excluding O'conner)

Zach Touhey
Gary Ablett
Harry Taylor
Jake Kolodjashnij
Daniel Menzel
Tim Kelly
Joel Selwood
Scott Selwood
Mitch Duncan
Jed Bews
Tom Hawkins
Patrick Dangerfield
Tom Stewart
Mark Blicavs

So pick the next eight players to make your fully fit team.

Not wanting to be too much of a negative Nigel, but people have varying interpretations of what "fully fit team" and "best 22" mean.
Some people take a literal interpretation - the players that would be selected if everyone on the playing list was fully fit and available for selection.
Some people take into consideration the possibility of injured players (not) being available to play again in 2018, which can include some borderline cases where a player might only become available in September.

Parfitt, Cockatoo, Ratugolea and Menegola have each 'earned' 7 votes.
There are 56 votes, so I'll assume 7 people have voted * 8 selections = 56 votes.
Whereas Henderson has only 'earned' 5 votes.

I am guessing that the two people who did not select Henderson might have done so because they don't think he will play a game in 2018, as opposed to thinking that he is not in the best 22 when fully fit.
I'd be very surprised if Henderson was not considered a "best 22" selection when fully fit.

Is Esava a lock now? Him and Stewart are clear highlights for the season. He’s only bloody 19. Hasn’t torn a game apart but I haven’t seen a kid at his age in his position look so promising.

Is Esava a lock now? Him and Stewart are clear highlights for the season. He’s only bloody 19. Hasn’t torn a game apart but I haven’t seen a kid at his age in his position look so promising.

"lock" is another term which has different meanings to different people.
Some people use it to refer to plays like Dangerfield / JSelwood / Ablett who would be among the obvious inclusions.
Other people use the term more liberally to refer to just about any player they like, including fringe players, and renders the term almost useless.

Although I have Ratugolea in my best 22, I don't think he is a "lock", because it's fairly easy to make arguments for his exclusion. Hawkins and Menzel are better forwards, and Blicavs is a better spare parts player / 2nd ruck.

B: Bews Blicavs Kolo
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart
C: Duncan Selwood Ablett
HF: Menegola Sav Kelly
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Smith Dangerfield Scooter
I: Parfitt Cuthrie Fogarty Cockatoo

Maybe something like that if Henderson is a write off for the year.

Back