Best side outside of the 8 - and finals bound 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Melbourne finishing 9th is a good argument to be the best side out of the 8.

As for next year in no particular order Melbourne, Freo, Carlton and Gold Coast most likely to make it. Probably 2 of them (since that's usually how things pan out.)

Melbourne have a list that is already competing for finals. I can't trust them to actually make finals and not s**t the bed at the wrong point in time, but they're part of the conversation.

Freo transitioned their game-plan quite a bit this year and saw a number of younger players step up, including Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong. If they carry their late season form into next year, keep players on the park (at no stage this year did they have less than 6 players in the best 22 out) and fix their offense and they'll make it.

Carlton were competing for a spot this year, and fell short. Add in some players they trade in and fix the issues that plagued them this (those significant periods of the game where their opposition scored 5 goals on them without Carlton firing a shot) and they'll be a good chance.

Gold Coast finishing with a percantage of 90.6% despite only winning 5 games intrigues me.

Freo..
Best 22 players of Sturt, logue, Pearce, hamling, young (will be better than serong) & Tucker to come back in.
That is 6 champions.
Hogan & tabs to work up some synergy.
Some more improvement from cerra & Brayshaw.

If we can keep a reasonably healthy list & dont lose any guys in the off season. Bed down the game plan with another pre season together.
Up up up baby

If freo get their injuries under control then they will suck the life out of teams with how good their defensive pressure is.

Especially with a decent run at Optus, if 22 rounds then I can see 12-14 wins at a minimum.
We need another dangerous small forward (perhaps already on our list, when someone like Henry/Sturt/Fredricks steps up) and a few midfield goals (Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong kicked 4 goals between them, I'd say expecting some improvement is reasonable) then I could see us do pretty well (with a full list available).

Melbourne's top end is top 4 material.

Melbourne's bottom end is bottom 4 material.

I'd be hardcore targeting Ben Brown and some more role players like Langdon, who was a huge success this year.

I reckon Sydney are a smokey to shoot back up into finals. Had a stack of injuries this year to important players and the young talent that is coming through with Blakey, Rowbottom etc looks pretty good. Add back in Heeny and Buddy and they’re a major threat. Great culture there so you know they’ll fight it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back