Best site to make and publish an app.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone know?

Have an idea for one, would like to get it published, but don't know how to code.

I should probably not be a lazy prick and learn how to make it from scratch, typical millennial scum. :p

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
What are you actually trying to do? Make a site? Make a web or mobile app? There are plenty of free tutorials to get started on coding as long as you know where you want to start. Web apps you will just need to find a web host when you’re done as mentioned. Mobile apps are published by their respective stores and no need for web.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What are you actually trying to do? Make a site? Make a web or mobile app? There are plenty of free tutorials to get started on coding as long as you know where you want to start. Web apps you will just need to find a web host when you’re done as mentioned. Mobile apps are published by their respective stores and no need for web.

Make a mobile app. Probs gonna learn coding basics, you never know, I might do alright.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Make a mobile app. Probs gonna learn coding basics, you never know, I might do alright.

There are plenty of options then. Android, iOS or both?

For a starting reference:
Android - learn Android Studio and either Java or Kotlin programming languages. I'd recommend Java as it can be used elsewhere and very similar to other languages from the C family. For display interface it just uses the extremely easy to understand XML 'language'.

iOS - you would need access to a Mac first and use X-Code. Languages either Swift or Objective C. Objective C can have a steep learning curve, Swift is pretty popular.

Cross platform - Microsoft's Visual Studio is the most common IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for cross platform mobile development as well as software in general. You can do just about anything with it but 90% of it's support is for C# which I'm pretty sure is all it supports for cross platform mobile development anyway. It also uses XML for display elements. C# and Java are almost syntactically identical so you can't go wrong. Learn one and easily pick up the other.

Alternatively, if it's a simple app that performance isn't crucial, you can learn HTML, CSS (and/or XML) and JavaScript (not to be confused with Java but it looks similar anyway) which are traditionally reserved for web development but there are a number of IDEs now that allow for mobile development using them.

All the software I mentioned is free and the internet, especially YouTube is littered with free tutorials in all of them. There is no best option. Start with something that suits what you want to do first. If you did want to get more serious then a PluralSight subscription is a great option as there are some fantastic lessons on there by well regarded professionals.

Hope that helps.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There are plenty of options then. Android, iOS or both?

For a starting reference:
Android - learn Android Studio and either Java or Kotlin programming languages. I'd recommend Java as it can be used elsewhere and very similar to other languages from the C family. For display interface it just uses the extremely easy to understand XML 'language'.

iOS - you would need access to a Mac first and use X-Code. Languages either Swift or Objective C. Objective C can have a steep learning curve, Swift is pretty popular.

Cross platform - Microsoft's Visual Studio is the most common IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for cross platform mobile development as well as software in general. You can do just about anything with it but 90% of it's support is for C# which I'm pretty sure is all it supports for cross platform mobile development anyway. It also uses XML for display elements. C# and Java are almost syntactically identical so you can't go wrong. Learn one and easily pick up the other.

Alternatively, if it's a simple app that performance isn't crucial, you can learn HTML, CSS (and/or XML) and JavaScript (not to be confused with Java but it looks similar anyway) which are traditionally reserved for web development but there are a number of IDEs now that allow for mobile development using them.

All the software I mentioned is free and the internet, especially YouTube is littered with free tutorials in all of them. There is no best option. Start with something that suits what you want to do first. If you did want to get more serious then a PluralSight subscription is a great option as there are some fantastic lessons on there by well regarded professionals.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to write that for me.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like others have said, Android Studio is a good place to start. Mobile apps tend to be more design oriented rather than pure vigorous coding. UML diagrams will be your friend.

Java is not a bad language to start either, it has a very simplistic GUI package set containing a lot of easy-to-learn functions. Not a bad way to familiarise yourself with classes, objects and the VERY important OOP (Object-Oriented Programming) phase which will be very important once your application needs to have different functions embedded or extended into others.

VS is also a great IDE for UML and coding. Visualising your code in the form of diagrams can be very useful. You can do this in Java as well with Swing and FX. I use ObjectAid.

I would start from Python as it is very easy to learn and follows a more casual-recognisable form of coding. Using statements like 'for' and 'in' etc. It gets your mind into a coding engine room quite conveniently.

iOS (like dwwaino has said) has great languages you can use for app development. But this is proprietary so unless you want to go down that route, up to you.

The last language you should tackle is C++ as it is the most difficult language to learn out of all languages out there. It is much better than C, but more complicated than C#. It has unmatched GUI support once you get into the really fun stuff. But once you get to that level, you will experience some absolutely brain-killing stuff to manage and configure.

Programming is a bitch to learn. It can either steer you away or compel you to not give up lol.

Back