Best sledge ever. Nominations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you even half serious?
Ponting played frequently against Pollock.
No mention of a river was made.
Please keep to the thread title, and stop making stuff up.
And no more personal remarks please......

I'm not sure what rock you live under but the quote has unequivocally been attributed to have occured between Richards and Thomas a good 40-50 years ago.

I'm not sure what rock you live under but the quote has unequivocally been attributed to have occured between Richards and Thomas a good 40-50 years ago.
Think you are still under the rock...
Anyway.
Whatever you reckon......

Think you are still under the rock...
Anyway.
Whatever you reckon......
https://www.qt.com.au/news/fact-from-fiction-the-truth-behind-crickets-great-/3203356/
The tale: Glamorgan fast bowler Greg Thomas, after beating Somerset's Viv Richards a few times in an over, said: "Hey Viv, it's round, it's red and it weighs five ounces. Now try playing it!" Viv responded by smashing the ball out of the ground and saying to Thomas: "You know what it looks like, now you go and find it!"

True or false? True. While the batsmen in this mid-wicket tête-à-tête have been cited as Ricky Ponting, Shaun Pollock, Ian Botham, Mark Waugh and Sir Garfield Sobers, it was the great IVA Richards who made the famous remark, as Glamorgan' archivist, Andrew Hignell, confirmed: "Greg's comments were: 'It's red, it's round and it's fast.' Their discussion happened in a match between Glamorgan and Somerset at Taunton."

Fiction only......
leymwyW.png

I'm not sure who this was, possibly Viv Richards with Merv bowling but happy to be corrected if someone knows the right people.
Anyway it is one of my all time favourites.

Merv bowls to Viv, plays and misses.
Merv holds up ball to Viv, "It's red, shiny and has stiches down the middle of it".
Next ball Viv hits him out of the ground.
"You know what it looks like, go and effing find it".

Classic
Like a lot of the so called sledges probably never happened.

From a book by Brian Johnson I read a while back.

Don't know the names, but I heard of a large Australian fast bowler playing in a Yorkshire league as a professional. He had a couple of LBW appeals turned down and unleashed a barrage of bad language at the umpire. At the end of the over, he said " sorry about the language. I guess you are going to report me" ?

The umpire said "Not at all lad. I like a man that speaks his mind."

The next over he bowled, he let loose a massive appeal " Hooooowzaaaaaat????"

"Not out, you fat Aussie bastard"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A friend of mine played as a pro in the Lancashire League in the late 70s and early 80s, against the likes of Andy Roberts, Michael Holding and others. He said they'd hit you on the body and just stand there and stare. They never said a word - didn't need to.

i like the one dr turf said the other day.

it went along the lines of this actress who was notoriously bad at acting but whose husband owned a theatre or could pay for her to lead was doing an anne frank performance and by the 2nd time the nazis come looking for her a bloke from the crowd yells "SHE'S IN THE ATTICT!!!"

Mark Waugh: “* me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here?There’s no way you’re good enough to play for England.”
James Ormond: “Maybe not, but at least I’m the best player in my family.”

Mark Waugh: "I remember you from a couple of years ago. You were s**t then and you're *en useless now!".
Adam Parore: "Yeah that's me. And I remember you were dating that old, ugly ****. I see you've married her now. You dumb campaigner".

The Viv Richards one has had about 1,000 incarnations. I remember hearing it as 'it's red and has 6 stitches in it' *whack* 'well you know what it looks like, how about you go and find it?'.

Jamie Siddons fielding in the slips in a grade cricket game in Adelaide. Batsman was blocking the s**t out of it.

Siddons - C'mon mate, it's not a test match

Batsman - Yeah, if it was you wouldn't be here
It was actually Mark Waugh and apparently he took about 5 minutes taking guard.

Cant remember who the commentator was but before one of the worlds fastest bowler competitions in the 70s they heard Safraz Nawaz had been invited to compete and suggested they were going to need to time him with a ' sun dial '

A regular bad sledge in juniors ' seen better batters in a fish and chip shop '
Always knew you were going ok when that got rolled out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back