Best Small Forward in the League?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep.

Started off like an absolute beast of a bull magnet in his first couple of years.

Then he was at the crossroads at GWS whether he was good enough because of his ball use. Moved forward and has turned into a genuine superstar.

He is the ultimate villian too. A bloke that no one can stand but the bloke you wished played for your club
I wouldn't shoot him on ball use in a developing team without outside options presenting. In 2015 when Shiel and Scully went down Ward was constantly getting caught and turning it over. In and under mids need teamates working effectively with them in my view.

The club view is we needed forwards and he was willing.

Yep.

Started off like an absolute beast of a bull magnet in his first couple of years.

Then he was at the crossroads at GWS whether he was good enough because of his ball use. Moved forward and has turned into a genuine superstar.

He is the ultimate villian too. A bloke that no one can stand but the bloke you wished played for your club

As a mid he got plenty of it but had questionable disposal. IIRC after 2012 GWS wanted him to become more of a two way player instead of just focusing on getting the ball.

As a forward he's very damaging and still gets it 15-25 times a game. I never would have picked him to be a 40-50 goal elite small forward of the comp after his first couple of years.

In no particular order, my best small forwards on form and future:

Breust
Greene
Gresham
D Rioli
(Before injury) C Cameron
Fantasia

But there have been a few that have surprised this year and could be ones to watch. Jamie Cripps has had a good year, so has Will Hoskin-Elliott.

1. Luke Breust
2. Toby Greene

Breust gets the nod for longevity and durability being factors.

8 straight years of 30+ goals, 6 of those 40+, 3 50+.

In terms of overall leading goalkickers, in that time he's finished 5th (potentially higher), 8th, 9th, =10th, 13th, 18th which is a pretty solid run for a small forward.

For goal assists, he's had finishes of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 20th.

Club B&F's - 4th (runner-up), 7th (flag), 8th (flag), 8th (flag), 10th (top 4 year) + a likely top 5 this year.

Since he debuted in 2011, he's played 184 of a possible 195 games from what I can work out.

Fantastic consistency, longevity, top-end elite statistical finishes, rated highly in multiple flag/top 4 sides B&F finishes.

The fact he wasn't even named in the OP is an absolute joke. It's clearly out of him and Greene.

Next level would be Gray, then probably Fantasia, Cripps, Betts (who is up in the top discussion for his normal form although at 32 I think it's fair to rate him down a peg), Gresham (but splits his time between midfield and forward more than the others I think), is Rioli close enough to this level - I think so.

Wouldn't mind betting Ronke, Spargo, Butler, Ryan will be up there soon enough.

De Goey also a gun but is he a small forward like the others?? Thomas kicked 36 goals this year which puts him alongside Gray and just below De Goey and Hoskin-Elliott, fair effort.

You’ve got Greene over Breust? FMD.

Who the **** is Gresham??

Gresham kicked 35 goals this year which places him top 20 in the comp (before finals), and was named as a half-forward flank fairly obviously in the 22 under 22 side.

He might not be the best small forward in the comp but he should be far from a "who the * is he" reaction from someone posting on a football forum.

Gresham kicked 35 goals this year which places him top 20 in the comp (before finals), and was named as a half-forward flank fairly obviously in the 22 under 22 side.

He might not be the best small forward in the comp but he should be far from a "who the **** is he" reaction from someone posting on a football forum.
I love when people say who at very well known players lol

Gresham has been our only damn shining light all season. You would think a demons fan should know him as he helped himself to a lazy 4 goals against them and secured us a good W

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much love for Robbie Grey.
Representative
Honours
He plays a bit mid, but also high half forward resting deep. On talent perhaps Green is up there, but not so far on performance.
Grey is as good a whiner as Dangerfield. Grossly overrated.

Tom Lynch (Adelaide)
De Gooey
Fantasia
Walters
Greene
Robbie Gray
Lambert
Lambert's a midfielder. He's only kicked 15 goals this season. While we have a profusion of good small forwards at Richmond, none are in this conversation yet (unless you count Caddy as one, but he's more a mid-size - though only 3cm taller than Gray). I can see Daniel Rioli being in the conversation and he has the best record in finals for what that's worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back