Best small forward of all time?

Who is the best small forward of all time?

• Eddie Betts

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • Stephen Milne

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Jeff Farmer

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Peter Daicos

Votes: 42 23.3%
  • Phill Matera

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 26 14.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Incredible.
The best small forward ever not even in the poll.
I hated Kevin Bartlett with a passion when I was a little kid but he is by far the best small forward I seen.
He was obviously a rover when he was younger but all the seasons I seen him he was a champion match winning forward in his twilight and later years.

Leigh Matthews was there too but from what I can tell he spent more of his career as a rover but the last four or five I saw, were as a small forward he was a dynamo like Bartlett. Better mark than KB but KB the best goal sneak ever!

Daicos probably the next best but not quite in their league.

The best of recent decades are Milne, Eddie Betts and now Cyril Rioli.
Rioli will probably pass Daicos as the third best by end of his career.

I agree 1000% - Bartlett has been the best - by the length of the Randwick straight- the others could all be blanketed - not KB

Champion rover - but then when they played him as a permanent half forward- he tore backlines to bits

1980 final series - Qualifying final v Carlton - 7 goals . Second Semi v Geelong 8 goals . GF v Collingwood 7 goals

Boy did he love kicking a goal - they reckon there was a game and Richmond captain Roger Dean had the ball in the goal square - and KB ripped the ball out of his hands and kicked the goal !!!

I agree 1000% - Bartlett has been the best - by the length of the Randwick straight- the others could all be blanketed - not KB

Champion rover - but then when they played him as a permanent half forward- he tore backlines to bits

1980 final series - Qualifying final v Carlton - 7 goals . Second Semi v Geelong 8 goals . GF v Collingwood 7 goals

Boy did he love kicking a goal - they reckon there was a game and Richmond captain Roger Dean had the ball in the goal square - and KB ripped the ball out of his hands and kicked the goal !!!

His nickname was not Hungry for nothing. When they talk about hurting the other team on the scoreboard Bartlett was numero uno for that.

Was watching a replay of Barltett on Open Mike last night. Very interesting he was trying to leave Richmond in 1980. Wanted to goto Collingwood to be with Tom Hafey but Hafey wanted him to be a one club player. He then wanted to goto Essendon. Someone talked him out of it so he stayed at Richmond and then hurt his close mate Hafey in the grand final when he tore Collingwood apart and won the Norm Smith Medal.

Out of that list, Milne (only because I was too young to remember much of Daicos). Farmer was absolutely amazing when he was on though.

Betts will be up there when he retires.

Here's his highlights clip - right foot goals, left foot goals, bananas,snaps, torpedoes from outside 50, soccer goals. Anyone who watches that and says with a straight face that Milne (or Bewick lol) is better is mad imo.

lol, loved the one early on against Terry Keays from Richmond. He kicks it and Morwood and Manson just look at each other and laugh. Poor old Steve Hocking must've had nightmares playing against Collingwood.

lol, loved the one early on against Terry Keays from Richmond. He kicks it and Morwood and Manson just look at each other and laugh. Poor old Steve Hocking must've had nightmares playing against Collingwood.

I reckon John Gastev would still have nightmares about the 13 Daicos kicked on him in 1991. One of them featured in the video early on I believe.

Peter Daicos doesn't belong in this poll. Not only would 184cm arguably not qualify as being "small" now, but it sure as s**t didn't back when he played, when you had Gary Ablett playing FF at 185cm, Dermott Brereton playing CHF at 186cm, Jason Dunstall playing FF at 188cm, Richard Osborne being the spearhead of his forward line at just 182cm and so-on.

Last edited:
Imo the best one was in the final v West Coast both in terms of context of the game in terms of degree of difficulty. I don't even know why he'd try a banana from the wrong pocket when he was running onto his left which was arguably the goat non-preferred. It was also a great passage of play with Millane decking someone and Brown involved who were clearly our 3 best players in 1990.

Peter Daicos doesn't belong in this poll. Not only would 184cm arguably not qualify as being "small" now, but it sure as s**t didn't back when he played, when you had Gary Ablett playing FF at 185cm, Dermott Brereton playing CHF at 186cm, Jason Dunstall playing FF at 188cm, Richard Osborne being the spearhead of his forward line at just 182cm and so-on.
We're talking about position not height aren't we? Daicos was very clearly a forward pocket. He wasn't a lead and mark full forward and he didn't take that many contested marks. He got the absolute majority of his goals the same way that Betts and Milne did - crumbing and in play. To exclude him on the basis of height is just a silly technicality that St Kilda supporters with an inferiority complex use to get their man up. It's exactly the kind of argument you'd expect from the supporter of a club with such little history of success.

It's absolutely awesome
Thing is, his most impressive stats were pre injuries, as a 20 year old he kicked 76 rotating between centre and HF, iirc averaged around 24 disposals that year as well, if it wasn't for the debilitating injuries he'd probably be considered the GOAT IMO.

Apart from being ridiculously duel sided his biggest asset was his strength, very hard to move him off his line due to his low centre of gravity.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barney has Hungry covered easily....And it's not even a contest.:rolleyes:

Incredible.
The best small forward ever not even in the poll.
Too stupid to be serious.
Won't bother voting as too silly to take serious,
Just leave my thoughts on best small forwards here.

I hated Kevin Bartlett with a passion when I was a little kid but he is by far the best small forward I seen.
He was obviously a rover when he was younger but all the seasons I seen him he was a champion match winning forward in his twilight and later years.

Leigh Matthews was there too but from what I can tell he spent more of his career as a rover but the last four or five I saw, were as a small forward he was a dynamo like Bartlett. Better mark than KB but KB the best goal sneak ever!

Daicos probably the next best but not quite in their league.

The best of recent decades are Milne, Eddie Betts and now Cyril Rioli.
Rioli will probably pass Daicos as the third best by end of his career.

Barney & Hungry were both rovers, who finished their careers as forwards....Very similar careers in fact, with Bartlett being less prone to injury.

Hungry had pace, whereas Barney had strength & agility.

Barney: 332 games....915 goals....2.76 average
Hungry: 403 games....778 goals...1.93 average

So Bartlett played 71 more games, yet kicked 137 goals less.

Factor in that differential & it's close to a 200 goal gap....Nuf said.

Barney & Hungry were both rovers, who finished their careers as forwards....Very similar careers in fact, with Bartlett being less prone to injury.

Hungry had pace, whereas Barney had strength & agility.

Barney: 332 games....915 goals....2.76 average
Hungry: 403 games....778 goals...1.93 average

So Bartlett played 71 more games, yet kicked 137 goals less.

Factor in that differential & it's close to a 200 goal gap....Nuf said.

They were both champions - but Mathews has even admitted - John Rantall had a fantastic record on him

So 200 more goals are irrelevant?o_Oo_Oo_O

The 200 or more goals Bartlett kicked over three seasons from 1980 to 1982 as a small forward I would hardly think it irrelevant. What I do find irrelevant is ramblings of biased view. Get over it. I do not have a favourite out of them. For me they were both champions and played a little different. There is no way I can say for sure when each of them was a pure small forward so going on pure goals figures is not going to decide it for me. They became pure forwards at different times so when they went from rover that rested forward kicking goals to full time forward is vague area. What I watched is what I go on. Learn to agree to disagree.

The 200 or more goals Bartlett kicked over three seasons from 1980 to 1982 as a small forward I would hardly think it irrelevant. What I do find irrelevant is ramblings of biased view. Get over it. I do not have a favorite out of them. For me they were both champions and played a little different. There is no way I can say for sure when each of them was a pure small forward so going on pure goals figures is not going to decide it for me. They became pure forwards at different times so when they went from rover that rested forward kicking goals to full time forward is vague area. What I watched is what I go on. Learn to agree to disagree.

Barney:

Total....230

Hungry:

Total....200

Barney still has him....I think we all know who's views are 'colored' & biased here.

Barney:

Total....230

Hungry:

Total....200

Barney still has him....I think we all know who's views are 'colored' & biased here.

Those of us that read all this certainly do.
If you actually read way earlier you will find I actually hated Bartlett as a little kid.
No way I am biased towards that hungry little selfish bugger. I just acknowledge him as a great small forward that I not seen the likes of since.
I am simply objective of what I saw as a kid. You got your Hawk coloured glasses firmly on.
I can understand you wanting to convince me that I should see him as an even better small forward than Bartlett but certainly not going to happen.
I actually enjoyed watching Matthews more but that does not stop me acknowledging Bartlett was simply the supreme goal sneak I ever seen as a small forward. The little hungry bastard was a champion.

Last edited:
Back