Analysis Best SOS recruiting performance? 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018 Draftees?

which year did SOS provide the best slections

• 2015 Draftees no doubt- regardless of players traded for picks

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 2015 draftees but he had to give up to much

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2016 draftees

Votes: 28 27.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there such a thing these days? Need to be mobile and have a great defensive side as well. I see him a bit like Jack Darling or even Jack Reiwoldt. Maybe he even plays a similar role to SOS?

I think you know what I mean.
In other words, I don't know whether he makes for a spearhead.

We don't know what the composition of our team may be for sure but if McKay & Weitering make for our main KPF's, we have JSos and the BSos coming through. Where does CCurnow end up? Are we after Tom Lynch?

It could start getting very crammed for talls in our forward 50.

We don't know what the composition of our team may be for sure but if McKay & Weitering make for our main KPF's, we have JSos and the BSos coming through. Where does CCurnow end up? Are we after Tom Lynch?

Charlie for me is a mid that can push forward or back. Modern day star. I think we have heaps of talls and options. It's now about midfield depth combined with a few elite players. Already I believe we have elite options in Cripps Charlie & SPS, maybe even Pickett. A Kelly would have made a massive difference. Maybe a Rayner/LDU or Dow will be elite.

Kerr + a dedicated running coach to find incremental improvements in agility (particularly), acceleration and endurance = long-term AFL player.

Has the character, drive and cerebral footballing ability to make it.

2015 crop has more star power, which is to be expected, but for SOS to find half a dozen AFL players with sub-optimal picks in 2016 is ridiculous.
I don't think Kerr needs a dedicated coach. He just needs to refine his training process, the same as most athletes do.

He was the one draftee from last year I wasn't sure about. Looked like a one dimensional FF type. Watching him at NB's this year has changed my mind. Has the tools and the application to be mobile tall forward. I expect him to play a fair bit of senior footy in 2018

To see a Kerr run out for Carlton will nearly be as good as seeing a Silvagni in Navy Blue

Kerr has looked limited to me, although he did look good in several VFL games this year.

I'm not even sure which position he'll ultimately be playing. Is he a KPF? A third tall forward? I don't know.
I've been impressed, but I still would have taken Sproule.

Hell, we could have had Sproule and Kerr if we'd been prepared to be more ruthless about one of Jaksch, White or (regrettably) Jones.

Kerr has looked limited to me, although he did look good in several VFL games this year.

Yeah, I still need convincing on Kerr as well. Just think it's very hard to make it as a kpf at his height and with his level of athleticism. But glad the club is bullish. And if he does make it (and Polson as well), then SOS deserves an A++ for last year's draft/trade period, given the picks we had available.

He was the one draftee from last year I wasn't sure about. Looked like a one dimensional FF type. Watching him at NB's this year has changed my mind. Has the tools and the application to be mobile tall forward. I expect him to play a fair bit of senior footy in 2018

To see a Kerr run out for Carlton will nearly be as good as seeing a Silvagni in Navy Blue
As will seeing Vivianne Kerr singing the song after the match !

HF Jack. Casboult. Pickett
FF. Wright. Harry Lamb.

Charlie into midfield or wing. Willa to get some midfield and wing time too. Keep Doc and Weiters in the backline.

SPS, Fisher, Charlie, Cun-ers and Willa provide more sustained run with the extra pre-season.

Kerr off the bench I think. Flank pushing up to the wing. Will use his long kicking to get over the top for Pickett, Wright, Lamb or others to run onto.

The kick outs? Want to see Weitering back to his 2016 form of presenting as a target for kick outs. Hope Charlie and Jack also present as targets for kick outs too.

I would have thought more like Lance Whitnall than Brad Pearce.
Lance Whitnall was supremely talented as a junior, I remember he was the standout KPP in the TAC Cup as a 15 year old along with Simon Prestigiacomo who was a year and a half older. He didn't have as good a season the following year, I think he may have had a lot of niggling injuries. I only bring that up because Kerr was taken so late in the draft and I wonder where Lance would have been selected if he was not eligible to be taken as a father son (the rules being what they were, back then). Anyway, It's probably a fair enough comparison but I don't think Kerr reads it quite as well as Whitnall did.

Last edited:

He is a natural forward. Can kick a goal out of a half chance. That is something we lack and not something Weiters will be able to do if plays up forward.

His agility was much better than his 3rd worst score at the combine would suggest.

Will be good to see him get a clear run in the forward line in the 2s after playing too many talls there last year. Hopefully we wont see him in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back