Analysis Best SOS recruiting performance? 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018 Draftees?

which year did SOS provide the best slections

• 2015 Draftees no doubt- regardless of players traded for picks

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 2015 draftees but he had to give up to much

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2016 draftees

Votes: 28 27.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Was 2015 or 2016 a better overall draft performance from SOS

2015 saw SOS come in and go BANG. he identified some soft players that were not performing to his expectations and traded them for picks. But even so it was a bitter sweet experience for most supporters who saw players departing who had been favorites over the years of many people.

In hind-site now it seems that we did the right thing in trading Yarran and menzel, who havent fired a shot at their new clubs. Taking the cue from Henderson we let him go to geelong where his output has been patchy at times , but also very good at times. Bell was let go for compassionate reasons.

Overall there was a lot of talent let go in 2015 in the name of getting low draft picks. There were also some shocked supporters at the time. But then we let SOS go shopping. And he came back with some really interesting items in that shopping bag.

1 Our best draft pick ever in JW - enough said
2 Big Harry - who is a very exciting prospect. We shouldnt have expected eanything from him in his first year and thats exactly what we got. This year he should start to show us.
3 Charlie - Has already given us glimpses , and what we have seen we have all liked. Reportedly being groomed as a big bodied mid that can also go forward, take a grab (already seen this) and kick a long goal (already done this).
4 SOSOS - Even with an undeveloped tank and body he was able to shine. He showed smarts and maturity beyond his years. The SOS shoulder strategy seemed to reap rewards , allowing him to slip to the 50's
5 Cuningham- we needed a mid with pace to provide run and DC was the one that SOS chose. More of a hybrid mid he can get his own ball and can breakaway from stoppages, using his pace and acceleration. A promising player.

We needed quite a few holes filled when SOS came to the blues at the end of 2014, All he needed was picks. These were promptly found and SOS elected to play to the strength of the 2015 draft and go with talls. Whether or not he did that with an eye on the 2016 draft, which we now know was very strong in mids, we wont know. But as it stands it looks to be the right choice as we were more easily able to adress our midfield this year

Having concentrated on taking talls in the key tall rich 2015 draft, SOS was then able to concentrate on taking midfielders in this years draft, a draft that was fairly even and full of good young midfield draftees.

We lost one player of note Zach Tuohy to Geelong. That pick enabled us to secure marchbank and pickett.

Without a host of low picks to use, it must have seemed vastly different to SOS after the embarrassment of riches he has had at his disposal at GWS and then at the Blues in 2015.
Nevertheless, off he went shopping again and he again came back with a bulging bag full of squirming draftee produce.

Once he unpacked the bag we found some real delights.

1. SPS . Considered a #1 draft pick candidate at the start of 2016, his injury interrupted year saw him slip to us at 5. There is no doubt there were very talented players taken above him, but few have the tricks that SPS when he is on fire. Injury is hopefully a thing of the past and what we are left with is a highly skilled, fast, fierce tackling mid. Any doubts about his determination and character seem to disappear when his interview showed a young determined leader who wants to really take advantage of coming to the home of football. Melbourne.
2 Fisher. He may be small, but he is a goer, early track reports have him showing out in match simulation. Size doesnt matter if you know how to get the ball and do something with it. This seems to be what Zac is good at.
3 Macreadie. Seems to have slipped out of favour during 2016. Tipped as a top 10 draft pick at the start of the year and under the GWS academy. He was expected to go to GWS. An apparent misfire in the GWS strategy to bring him to sydney to board, may have just allowed us to snag a very capable defender.
4 Polson. Looks very fast, skilled in his highlights, which are curtailed due to his SOS special aka an injured shoulder keeping him out of the limelight.Interviews extremely well and looks a real leader.
5 Williamson. Another livewire that is solidly built. he excelled at the combine in most areas, so we know he has the physical attributes. The usual question is then- does he know how to find the footy?. looking at his highlights, the answer is yes.Another natural footballer.
6 Kerr. If Macreadie was a slider then this guy has plummeted. Reportedly another SOS special coming from Jacks school, he saw very little action this year. But when he did he showed great hands and very good conversion. Many have him labeled as too old school for the modern game, but those that have met him report a great character and a natural footballer. Coming from the Kerr family he is carlton royalty and he will certainly add to our new culture.
7 LeBois. Super talented , he is another that has plummeted. track watchers have been impressed. maybe needs to work on his defensive side. But if he overcomes this received weakness , he could be a steal.

So which one is it? the SOS stable from 2015? Where some real blue blood was brought in to fill some very hard to fill key positions?

Or the broadness and depth of the 2016 ? That may not have headline players (apart from SPS) but could potentially fill many more holes, and may very well reveal a very shrewd SOS strategy

Last edited by a moderator:
Both were done really well.

Things like getting Pick 8 for Hendo and using it on a high ceiling KPF. Fantastic

Then this year, i reckon you can put down SPS, Fisher, McReadie, Polson and Kerr as our regular first 5 Rd selections.

Then that means we got Marchbank, Pickett, Smedts and Williamson in exchange for Tuohy and our 2017 2nd Rounder.

Superb work.

Last year he had a lot more to work with during the trade period like Hendo, Yarran and Menzel and he maximised their value. Nailed all the picks at this stage with how they're tracking. Getting Curnow with our third pick, trading Yarran and Menzel, & then getting SOSOS late the clear highlights.

I felt this year was a greater challenge having to thwart off Adelaide's piss poor attempt at luring Gibbs and not having much value to shop around.

He turned Touhy into Marchbank and loaded up on youngsters in one of the strongest drafts we've had for a while. Holding onto Pick 5 and getting Lebois with a rookie pick the highlights for me.

The more significant impact he has had over the 2 years is the messages he has sent and precedent he has set to all the players and the competition in the embryonic stage of our 'reset'.

Last year it was disposing of players who didn't have hunger and motivation to play for the Carlton Guernsey and maximising what we got for them. Sending a clear message that the club comes first.

Secondly, I think the actions he took with the Gibbs trade is the most significant thing he has done since being at the club. Sure we could've had another couple of picks and prob get a good player but having Gibbs there this year will help the recent draftees develop and keep us competitive. More importantly everyone knows now that you don't f*ck with SOS (I'm talking to you Carmody and Reid) and we will not be held ransom by a player or another club.

SOS's performance this year in 2016 was the better...Overall it is the 7 x 18 year olds we got this year and the impact of his actions with the Gibbs trade that will have the most significant impact to our club in the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was 2015 or 2016 a better overall draft performance from SOS
2015 saw SOS come in and go BANG. he identified some soft players that were not performing to his expectations and traded them for picks. But even so it was a bitter sweet experience for most supporters who saw players departing who had been favorites over the years of many people.
In hind-site now it seems that we did the right thing in trading Yarran and menzel, who havent fired a shot at their new clubs. Taking the cue from Henderson we let him go to geelong where his output has been patchy at times , but also very good at times. Bell was let go for compassionate reasons.
Overall there was a lot of talent let go in 2015 in the name of getting low draft picks. There were also some shocked supporters at the time. But then we let SOS go shopping. And he came back with some really interesting items in that shopping bag.
1 Our best draft pick ever in JW - enough said
2 Big Harry - who is a very exciting prospect. We shouldnt have expected eanything from him in his first year and thats exactly what we got. This year he should start to show us.
3 Charlie - Has already given us glimpses , and what we have seen we have all liked. Reportedly being groomed as a big bodied mid that can also go forward, take a grab (already seen this) and kick a long goal (already done this).
4 SOSOS - Even with an undeveloped tank and body he was able to shine. He showed smarts and maturity beyond his years. The SOS shoulder strategy seemed to reap rewards , allowing him to slip to the 50's
5 Cuningham- we needed a mid with pace to provide run and DC was the one that SOS chose. More of a hybrid mid he can get his own ball and can breakaway from stoppages, using his pace and acceleration. A promising player.
We needed quite a few holes filled when SOS came to the blues at the end of 2014, All he needed was picks. These were promptly found and SOS elected to play to the strength of the 2015 draft and go with talls. Whether or not he did that with an eye on the 2016 draft, which we now know was very strong in mids, we wont know. But as it stands it looks to be the right choice as we were more easily able to adress our midfield this year

Having concentrated on taking talls in the key tall rich 2015 draft, SOS was then able to concentrate on taking midfielders in this years draft, a draft that was fairly even and full of good young midfield draftees.
We lost one player of note Zach Tuohy to Geelong. That pick enabled us to secure marchbank and pickett.
Without a host of low picks to use, it must have seemed vastly different to SOS after the embarrassment of riches he has had at his disposal at GWS and then at the Blues in 2015.
Nevertheless, off he went shopping again and he again came back with a bulging bag full of squirming draftee produce.
Once he unpacked the bag we found some real delights.
1. SPS . Considered a #1 draft pick candidate at the start of 2016, his injury interrupted year saw him slip to us at 5. There is no doubt there were very talented players taken above him, but few have the tricks that SPS when he is on fire. Injury is hopefully a thing of the past and what we are left with is a highly skilled, fast, fierce tackling mid. Any doubts about his determination and character seem to disappear when his interview showed a young determined leader who wants to really take advantage of coming to the home of football. Melbourne.
2 Fisher. He may be small, but he is a goer, early track reports have him showing out in match simulation. Size doesnt matter if you know how to get the ball and do something with it. This seems to be what Zac is good at.
3 Macreadie. Seems to have slipped out of favour during 2016. Tipped as a top 10 draft pick at the start of the year and under the GWS academy. He was expected to go to GWS. An apparent misfire in the GWS strategy to bring him to sydney to board, may have just allowed us to snag a very capable defender.
4 Polson. Looks very fast, skilled in his highlights, which are curtailed due to his SOS special aka an injured shoulder keeping him out of the limelight.Interviews extremely well and looks a real leader.
5 Williamson. Another livewire that is solidly built. he excelled at the combine in most areas, so we know he has the physical attributes. The usual question is then- does he know how to find the footy?. looking at his highlights, the answer is yes.Another natural footballer.
6 Kerr. If Macreadie was a slider then this guy has plummeted. Reportedly another SOS special coming from Jacks school, he saw very little action this year. But when he did he showed great hands and very good conversion. Many have him labeled as too old school for the modern game, but those that have met him report a great character and a natural footballer. Coming from the Kerr family he is carlton royalty and he will certainly add to our new culture.
7 LeBois. Super talented , he is another that has plummeted. track watchers have been impressed. maybe needs to work on his defensive side. But if he overcomes this received weakness , he could be a steal.
So which one is it? the SOS stable from 2015? Where some real blue blood was brought in to fill some very hard to fill key positions?
Or the broadness and depth of the 2016 ? That may not have headline players (apart from SPS) but could potentially fill many more holes, and may very well reveal a very shrewd SOS strategy

I reckon you should bump this thread in 12 months and then again in 24 months. I like what SOS has done both years and have no idea how to judge so early.

I like the talent of 2015 and they probably delivered more then I expected - Weitering all class, Charlie looked promising and his ceiling could be massive, Jack looks the goods and I was impressed he was adding value in 2016. Harry could be the forward/ruck we need and Cuningham is potential. JG-M is potentially a premiership fullback or not (but always good to have another hyphen squad member) and the Gooch was unlucky with injuries.

This 2016 draft is all potential - SPS and Fisher are picks I agree with and satisfy my need for midfielders, midfielders & more midfielders (not sure where the 3rd one is but on reflection I like that we got footballers and didn't just chase bulls). Polson and Williamson could be steals and if we are to be contenders are the sort of draft picks that we need to work (could one of these guys be the 3rd mid I wanted?). Punts on Kerr and LeBois with the draft picks we had are worthwhile in roles we haven't sorted. Macreadie, not sure why but maybe in a year or two clubs will look to Carlton and want to trade for our quality KPDs??

Far, far too early but the one thing that's stood out is we had a strategy for both drafts. In 2015 there a glut of high-level talent, so he traded in a few first rounders and 2016 was an even draft with plenty of sliders and potential at the back end, so he traded in some later picks.

I'm more happy with his trading and his ability to procure first round talent for bargain prices. I think we'll look back at the Marchbank/Pickett trade with some real fondness in years to come. Plowman also still has a lot of improvement and pending injury should be a staple in the back half.

My complaints for 2015 are that we didn't manage to position ourselves better in the at the bottom of the first round given the gap between Cuningham and guys like Gresham and Burton, and that we didn't get a pick in the early 30s to try and pip the Dogs for Marcus Adams (though in hindsight, we would have traded him out this year given his trade request).

This year it was pretty much down to Fisher vs Atley (time will tell), and arguably Kerr (though between the nostalgia and his strengths, you can understand taking the risk). The selection of Gallucci in both years continues to perplex me, and it looks like that may have backfired for a second time given pictures of him in a sling again.

In fact I'm a bit miffed with both of our rookie drafts but even those have logic and research behind them (JGM vs. Chol will be an interesting one to watch).

As for the 2015 trades, here's the wash-up in terms of the impact they had on our drafting:

1. Yarran for Cuningham
2. Henderson for McKay
3. Bell, #41, #20 for C. Curnow, 2016 3rd round pick (effectively Polson after GWS & Hawthorn trades)

All in all, I think you have to go for 2015 because we've got 3 players who have form to put up for being picked in the 18, one who has strong claims, and the 5th who is a bloody exciting tall prospect in McKay.

Short of a some serious injuries, that's a massive boon.

My complaints for 2015 are that we didn't manage to position ourselves better in the at the bottom of the first round given the gap between Cuningham and guys like Gresham and Burton, and that we didn't get a pick in the early 30s to try and pip the Dogs for Marcus Adams (though in hindsight, we would have traded him out this year given his trade request).

This year it was pretty much down to Fisher vs Atley (time will tell), and arguably Kerr (though between the nostalgia and his strengths, you can understand taking the risk). The selection of Gallucci in both years continues to perplex me, and it looks like that may have backfired for a second time given pictures of him in a sling again.

In fact I'm a bit miffed with both of our rookie drafts but even those have logic and research behind them (JGM vs. Chol will be an interesting one to watch).

As for the 2015 trades, here's the wash-up in terms of the impact they had on our drafting:

1. Yarran for Cuningham
2. Henderson for McKay
3. Bell, #41, #20 for C. Curnow, 2016 3rd round pick (effectively Polson after GWS & Hawthorn trades)

All in all, I think you have to go for 2015 because we've got 3 players who have form to put up for being picked in the 18, one who has strong claims, and the 5th who is a bloody exciting tall prospect in McKay.

Short of a some serious injuries, that's a massive boon.
Atley will be a ripper, hope Fisher can live up to expectations as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2015 was boutique shopping, 2016 we were bargain hunting. Time will tell but pretty confident SOS has nailed it as well as he
possibly could, given is not a precise standard.

Well said.
We couldn't miss in 2015 as we had those early selections, and this year we had to be a little more shrewd.
Still think we cleaned up in both drafts and I suspect we'll look back on these two years as quite a watershed moment for the footy club.

Sorry to all who are offended by the burden of such a thread.... I agree its too early to tell, but at least we can have some fun discussing....
For me it appears that SOS has done a better job this year- he has brought in more players, all with great attitudes. His job was much harder this year given the lack of picks (comparatively) and he had to be more targeted this year as he had already plugged some massive holes last year.

a bit early to tell however in both years gurusos has performed brilliantly. I shudder to think what rogers would have achieved.

What impresses me is the way he works trades and is creative.

This years work completely turning the tables on crows/gws with his Touhy work was sheer joy.

From a playing perspective none of the 2015 draftees have that immediate - wont make it look about them. Obviously to early with this years batch but some promising training reports re their skills.

My final comment is that you can really tell each year has been one piece of a bigger puzzle.

We have a stack of new guys who haven't even played a senior game yet so it is a superfluous exercise to blow smoke up SOS's butt right now.

The signs are good but it could just as easy go completely off the rails.

Ur ultimately correct as other than weiters and jack none have really played enough to make an assessment.

Why im so bullish on sos is more about reflecting on how bad rogers would have played it. If SR was in charge we would have traded gibba for lyons and our third going back with shane then saying that it was the best we could do in the circumstances.

Back