Best Swans By Guernsey Number | BigFooty

Best Swans By Guernsey Number

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by MC Bad Genius, May 1, 2015.

1. MC Bad Genius

MC Bad Genius Premiership Player

Sydney
    I was intrigued by a thread over on the Hawks board about the fact that they have retired their #1 guernsey, which instead is said to belong to the fans, because they're #1 at Hawthorn. Thankfully, most on that board realise how stupid that is, but it got me thinking a few things. Who has the #1 guernsey at the Swans? Who did it used to be? Who was the best #1?

But then I got carried away and thought "Why don't we do a list of all the best Swans players in each guernsey number?"

I don't know all the players that have ever played for the Swans, as I only started going to games in 1996 (woah - that's almost 20 years ago now!!!), so hopefully some of you regulars can help out. For the list that I've put together, I've gone with people I actually know or have seen and then used TOTC/stats/medals to decide some of the others. Basically, everyone that has won a Brownlow Medal is in EXCEPT those that lose out to other Brownlow Medallists and Ron Clegg because he's up against Buddy. (Sorry Ron.)

But I know I must have quite a few wrong. So help me out here (I'll edit the OP as people make suggestions):

1. Herbie Matthews
    2. Greg Williams
    3. Gerard Healy
    4. Tony Lockett
    5. John Rantall (Bookmark this thread in 5 years to sub in Isaac Heeney here)
    6. Andrew Dunkley
    7. Dennis Carroll
    8. Daryn Cresswell
    9. Nick Malceski
    10. Bob Pratt
    11. Roy Cazaly
    12. Josh Kennedy
    13. Rod Carter
    14. Bob Skilton
    15. Keiren Jack
    16. Darren Jolly
    17. Tadhg Kennelly
    18. ????? (Anyone but Jesse White)
    19. Michael O'Loughlin
    20. Graham Teasdale
    21. Leo Barry
    22. Jason Saddington (Surely not?)
    23. Lance Franklin (Sorry again, Ron)
    24. Jude Bolton
    25. Barry Round
    26. Stephen Wright
    27. Jack Graham
    28. Jared Crouch
    29. Martin Mattner
    30. Mark Bayes
    31. Brett Kirk
    32. Lewis Jetta (This should be interesting)
    33. Rowan Warfe
    34. Troy Luff (I'm so glad he makes it in)
    35. David Murphy
    36. ?????
    37. Adam Goodes
    38. Mike Pyke (or Ricky Mott. Remember Ricky Mott? No, actually, don't remember him.)
    39. Warwick Capper
    40. Nick Smith
    41. Shane Mumford
    42. Paul Bevan
    43. Norm McKenzie
    44. Jake Lloyd
    45. Paul Kelly (I don't know how many game he actually played in this number, but he can't beat Skilts out of #14!)
    46. Tony Lockett (Yes, again, but even comeback-era Lockett was better than the competition at #46)
    47. Leon Higgins
    48. Pat Trethowan
    49. Terry McGee
    50. Tony Haenen (actually played almost 100 games in the #50!)
    52. Bill Fallon
    54. Mark Athorn
    55. Anthony Sinclair (only played 2 games, but so did the other #55 and Anthony scored a goal, so ...)
    56. Justin Clarkson (by virtue of being the only Swans #56 ever)
    60. Craig Davis

If you need some help thinking of players you've never given a second thought to since retirement (hello, Troy Cook!), this website might help: http://australianfootball.com/clubs/every_player/Sydney/11

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. robbieando

robbieando Moderator

Sydney
    1 - Charlie Ricketts (Captain and Coach of our first Premiership in 1909, played 82 games. Herbie Matthews Sr and Barry Hall would have strong claims)
    2 - Vic Belcher (Duel Premiership player for the Swans, TOTC member and Hall of Fame member - no one comes close to him in this number)
    3 - Jarred McVeigh (Premiership Captain and over 100 games more than the next nearest player with claims Jack Austin. Healy also has claims)
    4 - Tony Lockett (Weak field really, but a no brainer in the end. Billy Williams would be the other option)
    5 - John Rantall (Club and AFL Hall of Fame member and TOTC member. No way can anyone put a case forward for anyone else)
    6 - Jim Caldwell (Captain of the 1918 Premiership team and missed playing in the 1909 premiership though suspension, one of our best. Dunkley and Craig Bolton went close)
    7 - Dennis Carroll (Club captain in the early 90's and TOTC member)
    8 - Daryn Cresswell (TOTC member and best remembered for smacking his own dislocated knee back into place and kicking a goal after the siren to produce a #Go North!
    9 - Len Thomas (Twice Best and Fairest winner and 1933 Premiership winner. One of 17 Swans to give his life at war)
    10 - Bob Pratt (Club's all time leading goal kicker including a season with 150, an AFL Legend of the game)
    11 - Peter Bedford (Brownlow Medal winner, 5 time Best and Fairest winner, Captain and 3 time leading goal kicker. TOTC and AFL/Club Hall of Fame member)
    12 - Mark Tandy (1918 Premiership player, AFL Hall of Fame member, TOTC member)
    13 - Rod Carter (Tilt, note how we have NEVER not had a poor Full Back since we have moved to Sydney. He started the mould and the others have followed)
    14 - Bob Skilton (What more can you say?)
    15 - Kieran Jack (2012 Premiership player, All Australian and Best & Fairest winner)
    16 - Len Mortimer (7 time leading goal kicker for the club and 1909 Premiership winner)
    17 - Tadhg Kennelly (Irish convert who became a key player in our 2005 Premiership win and then became the first person to win the GAA/AFL double)
    18 - Paul Harrison (This number is really jinxed, best we never hand it out - its the who's who of never were and always injured)
    19 - Michael O'Loughlin (First person to play 300 games for the Swans)
    20 - Jim Cleary (Involved in many losing Grand Finals after joining the club in 1934, including most of the "fun" of the 1945 GF)
    21 - Tony Morwood (Twice leading goal kicker and member of the TOTC)
    22 - Dick Casey (Missed the 1909 Premiership because of injury but was a combative player who was once suspended for half a season)
    23 - Ron Clegg (One of the best Key Positions players to play for the club. Could play at both ends of the ground. Too early to put Buddy in yet)
    24 - Jude Bolton (Dual Premiership player with over 300 games, one of only 3 in history to do so. Looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan)
    25 - Laurie Nash (Only had to ask him who the best ever player was, because he saw each morning in the mirror when shaving)
    26 - Stephen Wright (Small terror of a player but he was respected by those who watched him)
    27 - Jack Graham (Used the place kick, won the goal kicking once yet was known as a centre half back)
    28 - Jared Crouch (Played 194 games in a row from debut including the 2005 Premiership win, great tagger - just ask Aker)
    29 - David McLeish (Played over 200 games for the club during the 70's)
    30 - Mark Bayes (TOTC member and one of the best kicks this club has ever seen)
    31 - Brett Kirk (Led by example and took his 3rd opportunity with both hands and became one of our club greats and a 2005 Premiership play)
    32 - Amon Buchanan (2005 Premiership player who will be remembered for kicking the all important winning goal)
    33 - Greg Lambert (167 games in this number)
    34 - Troy Luff (All you need is Luff)
    35 - David Murphy (Wingman in the Swans TOTC)
    37 - Adam Goodes (Club's all-time leader in games played and two time Brownlow Medal winner and 2005 and 2012 Premiership winner, plus other awards)
    39 - Heath Grundy (Most games in this number, 2012 Premiership player and rock of the defence)

connolly and GotTheGoodes like this.
  3. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    Grundy pushes Capper out

he will probably lodge a protest for this snub

4. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    didnt herb matthews wear number 2

5 i agree with Rantall but robbieando its not hard to mount a case for ROK surely

5. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
  6. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    1 Barry Hall
    2 Greg Williams just over goldsmith tie breaker i saw Williams play
    3 Jarred Mcveigh- Healy better player but only 80 odd games for Sydney so I will be different and go a premiership captain
    4 Tony Lockett
    5 John Rantall
    6- Andrew Dunkley given Caldwell only played 31 games in number 6
    7 Dennis Carroll
    8 Daryn Cresswell
    9 David Acklerley
    10 Bob Pratt
    11 Peter Bedford
    12 Len Thomas
    13 Rod Carter
    14 Bob Skilton
    15 Bernie Evans
    16 Ricky Quade
    17 Tadgh Kennelly
    18 Joe Scanlan
    19 Michael OLoughlin
    20 Jim Cleary
    21 Tony Morwood
    22 Jack Graham
    23 Ron Clegg
    24 Jude Bolton
    25 Laurie Nash
    26 Stevie Wright
    27 Mark Tandy
    28 Ian Gillet
    29 David Mcleish
    30 Mark Bayes
    31 Brett Kirk
    32 Paul Morwood
    33 Terry Thripp for being from NSW
    34 Max Kruze
    35 David Murphy
    36 Ken Mccormack
    37 Adam Goodes
    38 Paul Licuria :p
    39 Wawrick Capper - cant deny he was good
    40 Nick Smith
    41 Shane Mumford
    42 Mark Browning played a fair few in the number
    47 Leon Higgins
    60 Craig Davis

7. brad cooper

brad cooper Club Legend

Sydney
    Surely paul kelly must be the unluckiest player in this thread.

Number37 and GotTheGoodes like this.
  8. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    Paul kelly did wear 45 add him to the list

9. robbieando

robbieando Moderator

Sydney
    He did, but there is no way he gets in front of Belcher IMO

You can mount the case sure, but Mopsy was an important figure over our club for so long with the games record.

Sir Swans likes this.
  10. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    Didnt realise he wore a number other than 2

Agree re rantall, just think OKeefe makes it some sort of debate, but he would be second

But our ex games record holder did go for norf in 96 grand final

11. MC Bad Genius

MC Bad Genius Premiership Player

Sydney
    Haha. I already had him in there at #45.

I think he wore both (or that's what the website says), but I couldn't tell which one was his normal number.

I know Grundy cops a lot of (sometimes unwarranted) flak on this forum, but Capper is a much better player than him. Grundy plays his role well, but we're not trying to pick the best players for team balance. I'd pick Capper every day of the week.

MF likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    I love reg

Just capper was my first favourite player one of only 3 swans to kick a ton in a season too

13. GotTheGoodes

GotTheGoodes Bloods

Sydney
    Or Bird if you are keen...

14. Banyo Bloods

Banyo Bloods Premiership Player

Sydney
    Capper owns 39

connolly likes this.
  15. Bloodied52

Bloodied52 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Bump. Just saw this old thread and thought given the discussion on assigning numbers and thought it interesting.

Couple of comments. Rantall is a must at 5. Quade and Browning should not be considered. Great to see mention of Paul Harrison who was both talented and frightening.

connolly likes this.
  16. stevie26

stevie26 Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney women's team
    Looks like Stevie gets the nod with no. 26!

Kirkswan likes this.
  17. connolly

connolly Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Persis Solo
    Great list but would put Eric Sarich in at 16 in front of a show pony for his toughness and the fact he put that sniper Barassi into the fence at the Lake Oval in front of the tea rooms.

18. SBD Gonzalez

SBD Gonzalez Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Kidding, right?
    Has someone got a list they can post, of every number and every significant player who has worn that number?

For example I loved Tadgh, I loved Mickey O, but wouldn't have a f***ing clue who else has worn 17 or 19, so can't really offer much input can I?

19. connolly

connolly Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Persis Solo
    Max Papley. He wore Number 11. Great player but cant dislodge Peter Bedford. And they were both wonderful cricketers also. As is Stuart Maxfield at 11.The great Ron Clegg played at Centre Half Forward and Centre Half Back, played as a 17 year old in the Bloodbath GF and won a Brownlow so is really stiff.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    SwansProudly and Bloodied52 like this.
  20. Bloodied52

Bloodied52 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    .... and also dominated in the centre when called on. Clegg was an extraordinary player. My dad and uncle rated him with Nash.

One player worth a mention is Barry Round. With shoulders six handles wide, massive hands covered in super glue and a gloriously eccentric kicking style Barry was the ultimate heart and soul player.

Agree with Connolly about Eric Sarich, another true Blood. Aside from Barassi, he also cleaned up the mongrel Pascoe brothers.

SwansProudly, Ticky009 and connolly like this.
  21. Jewelsbon

Jewelsbon Club Legend

Sydney
    I'm not great at posting links, but I'll give it a go.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/swans.html

Hopefully that works and gives you the information you're after and if you hit the # icon it will list the players by number.

22. SBD Gonzalez

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Kidding, right?
    Fantastic, thanks.

So, just for starters, clearly no competition whatsoever from Tadgh and Mickey O's number mates.

SwansProudly likes this.
  23. SBD Gonzalez

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Kidding, right?
    #13, honorary mention to Adam Schneider.

24. connolly

connolly Club Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Persis Solo
    Ahh yes the Pascoe boys. Big Bob Pascoe broke his leg unfortunately trying to trip Sarich. In the ensuing melee Sarich accounted for Mick Dowdell another obnoxious North player. Pascoe was a tripper of some notoriety. He had previously been reported and rubbed out for tripping the great Ted Whitten in a night game at the Lake Oval. The night games at the Lake Oval were exciting affairs. I remember there being dark parts of the ground where dark deeds were done as the lighting wasn't brilliant. And the outer being a thousand points of light as the crowd lit up. Those were days. The brothers famously walked out of North over the non-payment of wages and went to play for St Kilda. Hardly an impressive CV considering he was good enough to be picked for Victoria.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  25. SBD Gonzalez

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Kidding, right?
    Just noticed there's a guy who played one game for the Swans, with the same name as the guy who was CEO of the AFL for 11 years.

How could #46 go to anyone but Andy Demetriou?