Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd play Rohan in the first final and if he hardly touches the ball put a line through him for the remaining finals. I seem to recall he had just 1 disposal in our last final in 2021 and was subbed out at 3/4 time.

Do we play our Best 22 in the QF or is it still, in some small degree, a continuation of rotation practices culminating in any and all elimination finals where there literally is no next week without a win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Rohan is just a fringe player than you would select.

Otherwise you dilute the meaning of the 'lock' concept, and the club would then have 25 'locks'
Admittedly he is a little inconsistent however having said that he changes the dynamics of the forward line.

Rohan has speed, can take a pack mark and makes players look over their shoulders.
He is also starting to play a little further up the ground.

Do we play our Best 22 in the QF or is it still, in some small degree, a continuation of rotation practices culminating in any and all elimination finals where there literally is no next week without a win?

I think it will be all out in the QF….It has been such a bogey for this group. They will be desperate to put that to bed.

The QF and PF are going to be incredibly nervous nights. At least one will be desperately close.

I feel if we get to the Grand Final, we will run absolutely rampant.

Admittedly he is a little inconsistent however having said that he changes the dynamics of the forward line.

Rohan has speed, can take a pack mark and makes players look over their shoulders.
He is also starting to play a little further up the ground.
So I was negative Rohan then saw what he added in terms of pressure and speed and pack contests (he doesn’t really take many marks to be fair). All things are additive to the team. i still can’t get over his finals record over a line time. unfair maybe as this team is different and he only needs to play a role. But given it is a really hard decision I could live without him and keep Miers and have the extra mid.
having said that I doubt the MC give any thought to his final record?

So I was negative Rohan then saw what he added in terms of pressure and speed and pack contests (he doesn’t really take many marks to be fair). All things are additive to the team. i still can’t get over his finals record over a line time. unfair maybe as this team is different and he only needs to play a role. But given it is a really hard decision I could live without him and keep Miers and have the extra mid.
having said that I doubt the MC give any thought to his final record?
I actually doubt that they won't give thought to it. It's not like it's him and then daylight to the next best candidate for the 22 at this point. There is hopefully going to be plenty of pressure for the final places in the team. And I would have thought he's in the mix for consideration for those places, alongside a number of other more than capable candidates.

I can still see him potentially getting picked. Particularly with the knowledge that the 2022 tweaks to the game plan actually make it possible that his role might be more dynamic and impactful this time around. But I definitely believe they'll be seriously considering whether someone else can offer more to the team in a finals setting, given how anonymous he has proved in some finals in the past. The evenness of contribution that we have seen so often from the entire group in our best moments this year truly demands it.

Last edited:
Hmm guess ill have a shot at best 22

FB: Bews ~ De Koning ~ Henry
HB: Stewart ~ Kolodjashnij ~ Duncan
C: Holmes~ Dangerfield ~ Smith
HF: Miers ~ Cameron ~ Close
FF: Rohan ~ Hawkins ~ Stengle
R: Stanley ~ C Guthrie ~ Atkins
INT: Selwood ~ Tuohy ~ Blics ~ Parfitt
E: Zuthrie (Sub)~ O’Connor ~ Gola~ Ceglar

God that is ******* hard.

I really want Zuthrie in but think he would also make a perfect sub.

Hmm guess ill have a shot at best 22

FB: Bews ~ De Koning ~ Henry
HB: Stewart ~ Kolodjashnij ~ Duncan
C: Holmes~ Dangerfield ~ Smith
HF: Miers ~ Cameron ~ Close
FF: Rohan ~ Hawkins ~ Stengle
R: Stanley ~ C Guthrie ~ Atkins
INT: Selwood ~ Tuohy ~ Blics ~ Parfitt
E: Zuthrie (Sub)~ O’Connor ~ Gola~ Ceglar

God that is ******* hard.

I really want Zuthrie in but think he would also make a perfect sub.
Probably most similar to mine… I had Gola as emergency too and think tonight game reinforced my view

My big toss up is whether I would leave Rohan out and put Zuthrie in with MOC sub. I think Henry can play forward as needed. However would miss Rohan manic play…hard one

In the end an injury might make this easier? But hope not

Great Post. Really validates why Miers, Parfitt and Arkins are in the team. These 5 are why we are ranked #1 with ball in hand and #1 without ball.

Leaving those 3 out impacts our entire game plan.

It's why we always seem to be able to harass oppo into fumbles and why we have so much overlap in attack

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Smith -> Rohan (Danger/Henry/blitz can play forward at times)

Duncan -> Menegola (very unlucky but Miers just ahead and prefer his speed and creativity)

I would keep Zuthrie in team with MOC/Menegola as medical sub. Kolo stays as may allow Henry to go forward at times.

Smith -> Rohan (Danger/Henry/blitz can play forward at times)

Duncan -> Menegola (very unlucky but Miers just ahead and prefer his speed and creativity)

I would keep Zuthrie in team with MOC/Menegola as medical sub. Kolo stays as may allow Henry to go forward at times.

If Rohan has an issue with his hand then I'd agree with this, but I think he is in if he has no injury that can hamper his game (time will tell).

I have switched up my mindset that Menegola will play ahead of Miers.
This is mainly because of two things
1 - Menegola pushes back more than Miers does and Duncan can come in and do that.
2 - The simple fact that Miers puts on more pressure (Miers has improved of late but he still has missed a bunch of hittable targets via hand & foot recently).

For most of the latter half of the season, it has seemed like one of Zuth or MOC would fight out for one of the final spots... and Zuth really just seems to be playing too well/efficient to be out of the side.

But clearly, Smith comes in and I'm not sure who it will be for if Rohan plays & Zuth keeps his spot.

One thing is for sure, having a squad this strong, hungry, deep, fit, and ready to perform is a great spot to be in... But a decent player or two will miss (unless injury, illness, or suspension strikes).

Potentially matchups also could make a difference.

We are primed though and have no excuses.

Tough on Menegola but I think he's the one guy who definitely misses at the moment. He's just a step off his best, we're 1 mid too many and I don't think he contributes anything unique that others don't.

Then I think one of MOC, Kolo and Zuthrie miss and it probably depends a bit on match ups. Maybe 2 of them if we pick both Rohan and Miers which means Duncan might play more out of defence than wing.

There's gonna be 3 unbelievably unlucky players if everyone is fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see Kolo missing at all.
He is obviously no superstar... But he has a specific role to play on a tall forward and with him in it gives us the option of moving Henry forward if needed.
I'd be surprised if he misses. But then I'd also be surprised if Zuthrie or O'Connor misses because O'Connor has played every game when available for years and Zuthrie has been great.

You're right it gives us the chance to shift Henry forward if required.

I think against Brisbane Kolo is a certainty with their 3 talls. But maybe against a Collingwood or Melbourne who play 1-2 tall forwards we would prefer O'Connor's running and he and Zuthrie's better kicking over Kolo.

I genuinely don't know and whoever missed will be stiff.

Tough on Menegola but I think he's the one guy who definitely misses at the moment. He's just a step off his best, we're 1 mid too many and I don't think he contributes anything unique that others don't.

Then I think one of MOC, Kolo and Zuthrie miss and it probably depends a bit on match ups. Maybe 2 of them if we pick both Rohan and Miers which means Duncan might play more out of defence than wing.

There's gonna be 3 unbelievably unlucky players if everyone is fit.

I would disagree our midfield is still our weakness and menegola helps bolster that and his power running fills gaps across the ground for us. Hes a lock for me as is parfitt.

Im leaving zuthrie moc and probably rohan out although all 3 are really unlucky (as would miers be if its him). I would drop kolo ahead of them but MC wont.

I would disagree our midfield is still our weakness and menegola helps bolster that and his power running fills gaps across the ground for us. Hes a lock for me as is parfitt.

Im leaving zuthrie moc and probably rohan out although all 3 are really unlucky (as would miers be if its him). I would drop kolo ahead of them but MC wont.
Our midfield isn't super strong but its depth is our strength. He's behind Selwood, Danger, Guthrie, Parfitt, Atkins and Blicavs for centre square minutes. He's competing with Holmes, Duncan and Cameron as bit part players in there so he's way down the pecking order.

As an outside player he's behind Holmes, Smith, Tuohy, Close, Duncan. Unless we're doing something different like playing Danger forward a lot or switching Tuohy back into defence I just don't see how there are enough roles to include Menegola.

Our midfield isn't super strong but its depth is our strength. He's behind Selwood, Danger, Guthrie, Parfitt, Atkins and Blicavs for centre square minutes. He's competing with Holmes, Duncan and Cameron as bit part players in there so he's way down the pecking order.

As an outside player he's behind Holmes, Smith, Tuohy, Close, Duncan. Unless we're doing something different like playing Danger forward a lot or switching Tuohy back into defence I just don't see how there are enough roles to include Menegola.

I dont rate that depth list compared to melb in particular and also sydney on ocassions. But i feel the way we cover our lack of midfield class is by bolstering our number of potential rotations in there. For me smith and menegola are your wings (plus holmes when he rotates in from half forward). This allows duncan to play half back with his ball use and secondary mid which gives us better midfield depth than if you drop menegola to retain guys who cant play midfield (such as zuthrie or miers or rohan). Hence he is in my side and while i rate zuthries year id leave him and a couple of other defenders or forwards out.

We made a mistake in the PF last year picking like 9 defenders as it compromised our midfield depth. I hope we dont make the same mistake again.

All being fit, O’Connor is out for mine. Z.Guthrie has to be included on form. He’s a different player this year. Kolo also in at this stage. Menegola is out with the emergence of Holmes on the wing. Rohan stays in for now but has to confirm the faith places in him in the first final.

B: Bews, DeKoning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, Henry, Duncan
C: Smith, Parfitt, Holmes
HF: Tuohy, Cameron, Close
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan

Foll: Stanley, Blicavs, C.Guthrie

Int: Selwood, Atkins, Dangerfield, Kolo

Miers desperately unlucky. But I’ve gone for a more contested, group. Kolo stays to release Stewart and Henry.

I dont rate that depth list compared to melb in particular and also sydney on ocassions. But i feel the way we cover our lack of midfield class is by bolstering our number of potential rotations in there. For me smith and menegola are your wings (plus holmes when he rotates in from half forward). This allows duncan to play half back with his ball use and secondary mid which gives us better midfield depth than if you drop menegola to retain guys who cant play midfield (such as zuthrie or miers or rohan). Hence he is in my side and while i rate zuthries year id leave him and a couple of other defenders or forwards out.

We made a mistake in the PF last year picking like 9 defenders as it compromised our midfield depth. I hope we dont make the same mistake again.
Last year was a mix of players missing and out of form. No Parfitt and O'Connor who had played midfield. Blicavs and Atkins playing down back (I thought that was a massive mistake with Blicavs). Holmes not ready to run through midfield. Dahl and Higgins hitting the wall. Duncan coming back from injury and not fit enough to play mid.

Apart from Blicavs we didn't choose to not play mids we just didn't have the cattle fit. This year is different.

We only played 6 defenders this week in the 22 (Stewart, SDK, Henry, Kolo, Zuthrie and Bews). Dropping another would require something like playing Tuohy as a permanent defender which he hasn't done all year. It's not the time to massively change up roles so I think Duncan and Smith have to come in for 2 mid/wing/high HF types. I've got Parfitt, Atkins, Holmes, Tuohy, Smith, etc above Menegola so I think he's the unlucky one. Miers might be the other but not sure.

I just don't see us going from playing 6-7 defenders all year to suddenly picking 5 for finals to squeeze in extra mids when we're very deep there already.

Last year was a mix of players missing and out of form. No Parfitt and O'Connor who had played midfield. Blicavs and Atkins playing down back (I thought that was a massive mistake with Blicavs). Holmes not ready to run through midfield. Dahl and Higgins hitting the wall. Duncan coming back from injury and not fit enough to play mid.

Apart from Blicavs we didn't choose to not play mids we just didn't have the cattle fit. This year is different.

We only played 6 defenders this week in the 22 (Stewart, SDK, Henry, Kolo, Zuthrie and Bews). Dropping another would require something like playing Tuohy as a permanent defender which he hasn't done all year. It's not the time to massively change up roles so I think Duncan and Smith have to come in for 2 mid/wing/high HF types. I've got Parfitt, Atkins, Holmes, Tuohy, Smith, etc above Menegola so I think he's the unlucky one. Miers might be the other but not sure.

I just don't see us going from playing 6-7 defenders all year to suddenly picking 5 for finals to squeeze in extra mids when we're very deep there already.

I agree with the first para to a point. I wouldnt agree with the 6 defenders part as duncan has basically played 90 % in defence from about round 10 onwards and tuohy should play back there in finals (and did last night).

Fwiw im picking
B: bews de koning kolo
Hb: stewart henry duncan
C: smith blicavs holmes
Hf: menegola cameron close
F: stengle hawkins miers/rohan
R: stanley dangerfield c guthrie
Int: atkins selwood parfitt tuohy
Sub: zuthrie

Thats our strongest 22 and still gives us 6 defenders plus tuohy and atkins also capable of rolling back if you get an in game injury. I like zuthrie but keeping him in gives us 1 less midfield rotation and thats a tactical mistake imo. Him and moc are not needed. Midfield depth will be what wins us the flag or stops it so plug that gap. We dont have the top end quality in midfield that sone top sides do so the way we overcome that is with extra mid rotations and overrun sides fitness wise through there, not with surplus defenders we cant use in midfield.

I agree with the first para to a point. I wouldnt agree with the 6 defenders part as duncan has basically played 90 % in defence from about round 10 onwards and tuohy should play back there in finals (and did last night).

Fwiw im picking

Thats our strongest 22 and still gives us 6 defenders plus tuohy and atkins also capable of rolling back if you get an in game injury. I like zuthrie but keeping him in gives us 1 less midfield rotation and thats a tactical mistake imo. Him and moc are not needed. Midfield depth will be what wins us the flag or stops it so plug that gap. We dont have the top end quality in midfield that sone top sides do so the way we overcome that is with extra mid rotations and overrun sides fitness wise through there, not with surplus defenders we cant use in midfield.
ill pull the trigger on rohan over miers and that's my best 23 too. if we wanna go smaller than drop kolo completely, moc sub with zuthrie in the team.

Fwiw im picking

good team IMO.

Re: Menegola... I think our old game style suited him better than this seasons more run and gun strategy. He's always been one the slow side for disposal speed, and thats standing out more than it did when we played a possession focused gameplan. That said he's also struggled for continuity this season which may be confusing my read.

Re: Menegola... I think our old game style suited him better than this seasons more run and gun strategy. He's always been one the slow side for disposal speed, and thats standing out more than it did when we played a possession focused gameplan. That said he's also struggled for continuity this season which may be confusing my read.

With our current strength someone is going to miss out, it doesn't necessarily mean that they've done something wrong or don't suit the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back