Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Miers desperately unlucky. But I’ve gone for a more contested, group. Kolo stays to release Stewart and Henry
Same way Rohan at the other end of the ground releases Cameron and allows Danger to play more in the guts.

Kolo and Rohan aren't champions, but they allow team flexibility and play a role that some of the other fringe players can't.

There is a 0% chance Kolo gets dropped.

There is a non 0% chance Menegola, MOC, Rohan, Miers or Zuthrie miss out.

If does make me chuckle when people suggest Kolo would be one Scott considers on the chopping block.
Sure, but the question is: what is our best 22? Not: who will be in the final 22 selected from a fit list by our Match Committee?

If I'm picking the backline tomorrow, it's Tuohy, De Koning, Stewart, Bews, Henry and Zuthrie, with Blicavs and Duncan as rotation options.

Are you saying none of these guys miss out + also Kolo?

Who you got out then?
No, the poster means a "non-zero" chance, i.e. it's possible that some of those players miss.

That said, I disagree with them about Miers and Rohan. If that forward line doesn't line up as Miers, Cameron, Close; Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan - I'll go heave.

Anyone considered the possibility of going in with Selwood as the sub? Actually think it has some merit. Imagine throwing a fresh Selwood into the guts for the last 1.5 quarters of a tight tussle... Unlike past years, we have cover for him now.

Anyone considered the possibility of going in with Selwood as the sub? Actually think it has some merit. Imagine throwing a fresh Selwood into the guts for the last 1.5 quarters of a tight tussle... Unlike past years, we have cover for him now.

No.

No, because he's the captain and that leadership is required throughout.

This is 2022, the sub is only activated for injury anyway. Many games, the sub won't play at all.

I would hate for Selwood's last game (if it's any of the last three weeks of finals) to be spent with him on the bench for the entirety of the match.

So for interest I went and had a look at our line up from our last final (PF 21)

Definite changes from that team

Out : Henderson SAV Higgins (sub)
In : Stengel SDK parfait stewart

3 DEFINITE OUT AND 4 DEFINITE IN. So need at least one more out from last year’s PF team (and two out if we think MOC comes in)

Possible outs (not my view but the ones that have been debated on this board).

Zuthrie menegola Rohan miers

Possible new ins (in addition to above). MOC

So really shows how much better this years team will be than last year PF. Those 4 in are elite! And all definite outs don’t lose us anything.

The possible outs (we need 1 or 2 of them not to play depending on MOC) are all arguably in best 22 so shows how difficult.

I haven’t included Cegs (nor Dal) who have played in past couple of weeks.

Have I missed anyone?

Gets you a little bit excited.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bloody hard call this will be if no injuries' or suspensions result out of this week. obviously will come down to opponent and match ups but there is going to be 2 or 3 players that are very stiff.

Sure, but the question is: what is our best 22? Not: who will be in the final 22 selected from a fit list by our Match Committee?

If I'm picking the backline tomorrow, it's Tuohy, De Koning, Stewart, Bews, Henry and Zuthrie, with Blicavs and Duncan as rotation options.
Well throughout the thread people have discussed both interpretations: their own and what they think will happen. I am doing my own based on what I think is realistic. That means not considering exclusion of locks. Kolo is a lock.

Blicavs doesn't play there anymore really and Duncan/Touhy would split one role at best minutes wise, given their time elsewhere.

It's very possible that both Rohan and Miers play. If that occurs, Menegola and Zuthrie are probably unlucky emergency/sub options alongside MOC.

If only one of Rohan and Miers play, Zuthrie will stay in resulting in a system that favoured defensive bolstering, which is "classic Scott". He's showing signs of "new age Scott" this year though so it's really a flip of the coin.

There are no equations where Kolo is excluded.

Kolo is a lock.

Blicavs doesn't play there anymore really and Duncan/Touhy would split one role at best minutes wise, given their time elsewhere.

It's very possible that both Rohan and Miers play. If that occurs, Menegola and Zuthrie are probably unlucky emergency/sub options alongside MOC.

If only one of Rohan and Miers play, Zuthrie will stay in resulting in a system that favoured defensive bolstering, which is "classic Scott". He's showing signs of "new age Scott" this year though so it's really a flip of the coin.

There are no equations where Kolo is excluded.

Probably have to agree with your assessment.

Assuming no injuries, Zuthrie could be very very stiff to miss.

If Rohan & Miers stay in, the only way you'd think Zuth stays in is if something a little left field happens like a Bews or Touhy are made sub (which is unlikely).

Certainly a good spot to be in though trying to work out who will be the last in, rather than who has to be the last in.

Also imagine Selwood watching on late in the 4th as the side goes down by a goal with no on field injuries

Although his finals form is poor, I think Myers had earned a crack in the first final. If he performs fine, if not then he is out. He had a history of going to water/ panicky in high pressure games but give him his due he is a running tackling and pressure machine this year.

Although his finals form is poor, I think Myers had earned a crack in the first final. If he performs fine, if not then he is out. He had a history of going to water/ panicky in high pressure games but give him his due he is a running tackling and pressure machine this year.
He's played into enough form for me that he's earned his spot easily, and I think it'll look different this year with the 4 runners in Miers, Stengle, Close, Rohan. No one has to do all the work.

Same way Rohan at the other end of the ground releases Cameron and allows Danger to play more in the guts.

Kolo and Rohan aren't champions, but they allow team flexibility and play a role that some of the other fringe players can't.

Miers certainly has provided some valuable link up play over the past 6 weeks or so but his lack of a contested and defensive game compared with say Atkins counts against him in finals. Loath to omit him but you can’t fit 25 into 22.

Pretty clearly established that we can invent on-field injuries as required.
It would still be a daft idea.

Let's say we concede three quick ones at the start of the second quarter - we need leadership and experience out there, asap. Where's Selwood? Centre-half bench.

You could, of course, instruct someone to "fake an injury" but there are a few issues with that:
1) You then have no cover for real injuries
2) You're relying on the player in question to follow through in a big game, and
3) You're relying on nobody asking enough questions to get the truth out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back