Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Sure, but the question is: what is our best 22? Not: who will be in the final 22 selected from a fit list by our Match Committee?

If I'm picking the backline tomorrow, it's Tuohy, De Koning, Stewart, Bews, Henry and Zuthrie, with Blicavs and Duncan as rotation options.
Kolo is a best 22 lock.

iameviljez

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Kolo is a best 22 lock.
Hm. For me:

B: Bews, De Koning, Stewart
HB: Tuohy, Henry, Zuthrie
C: Duncan, Atkins, Smith
HF: Miers, Cameron, Close
F: Rohan, Hawkins, Stengle
R: Stanley, Guthrie, Dangerfield
INT: Selwood, Blicavs, Holmes, Parfitt

I think it comes down to picking one of: Kolo, Zuthrie, and O'Connor, and one of: Parfitt and Menegola. My pick is Zuthrie and Parfitt, but it's harsh any way.

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Hm. For me:

I think it comes down to picking one of: Kolo, Zuthrie, and O'Connor, and one of: Parfitt and Menegola. My pick is Zuthrie and Parfitt, but it's harsh any way.
Agreed.
Is there a 23rd player? I seriously can't recall if we have 4 i/c plus a sub.
I like Tuohy as a sub anyway. Kolo is a natural lock down defender that is necessary in pressure finals- Tuohy is in good form, but I don't see him being a true defender, and apart from Bews and DeK, all our defenders are pretty attacking which is good but not necessarily accountable.

iameviljez

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Agreed.
I like Tuohy as a sub anyway. Kolo is a natural lock down defender that is necessary in pressure finals- Tuohy is in good form, but I don't see him being a true defender, and apart from Bews and DeK, all our defenders are pretty attacking which is good but not necessarily accountable.
Zuthrie and Henry aren't that attacking. If anything, quite the opposite for Henry - he doesn't win a heap of the footy and most concentrates on lockign down.

cat_fanatic

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Hm. For me:

I have Kolo ahead of Bews currently

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Zuthrie and Henry aren't that attacking. If anything, quite the opposite for Henry - he doesn't win a heap of the footy and most concentrates on lockign down.
That's not the Henry I know. Good at reading the play, taking marks (ie winning the ball), using his pace and agility to dumbfound opposition and hurt teams on the offence.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hm. For me:

That's my team, Zuthrie as sub. Just don't see the MC dropping Kolo which makes things more difficult.

ultimate warrior

Senior List
Jul 21, 2008
Dandy
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed.
Tuohy has been unbelievable all year. I'd suggest he'll finish top 10 in the bnf. He plays.

fpm84

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I can't even fathom the thought of Tuohy as sub in finals. He's a top 10 player for us, tough as nails and one of our best ball users. Would be one of the first picked IMO.

Mr Meow

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed.
Touhy is a lock. Having one of his best years.

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't even fathom the thought of Tuohy as sub in finals. He's a top 10 player for us, tough as nails and one of our best ball users. Would be one of the first picked IMO.
Touhy is a lock. Having one of his best years.
Tuohy has been unbelievable all year. I'd suggest he'll finish top 10 in the bnf. He plays.
I get it.

We have a lot of locks. Hope all the keys fit perfectly in September

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gazzathegoat

Draftee
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
FB: Bews ~ De Koning ~ Kolo
HB: Stewart ~ Henry ~ Tuohy
C: Duncan ~ Dangerfield ~ Smith
HF: Rohan ~ Cameron ~ Holmes
FF: Close ~ Hawkins ~ Stengle
R: Stanley ~ C Guthrie ~ Atkins

INT: Selwood ~ Miers ~ Blicavs ~ Parfitt

Emergency: Menegola / O'Connor / Zuthrie

SUB: O'Connor or Menegola

So much flexibility with Tuohey, Henry, Duncan, Holmes, Atkins, Blicavs etc, all capable of playing various positions.

I personally would prefer Zuthrie in the team over Kolo. Kolo has had some awful finals performances (costly turnovers) whereas Zuthrie seems to perform well under pressure.

If Rohan doesn't perform in the first final then I'd say his days are done at Geelong. When he's crashing packs, taking marks, and doing those manic chase downs his role in the team is absolutely vital. He's more than capable of kicking 2-4 goals as well as creating goals due to his pressure. The big concern is his fitness coming into finals after not having a pre-season and missing several games. Hopefully we see his best.

Seeds

Hall of Famer
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed.
And so is henry and dekonning And bews And oconnor. Blicavs and c.guthrie too if needed. So therefore kolo adds nothing special the team doesnt already have.

Mr Meow

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
And so is henry and dekonning And bews And oconnor. Blicavs and c.guthrie too if needed. So therefore kolo adds nothing special the team doesnt already have.
MOC is a level below the rest.

SDK takes the big forward.

Bews takes smalls.

Guthrie and Blicavs are not lockdown defenders at all anymore and are required in other roles.

Henry and Kolo take the second/third forwards - talls or mediums. One has never replaced the other. And Henry is generally given more license to peel off.

Remove this Banner Ad