Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree dahl higgins and ceglar will play a lot of vfl but they arent defenders so its not relevant to kolos spot.
I agree there will be rotations of defenders during the year i was talking about what defence we are likely to pick come finals and we have an excess of medium defenders. So i dont see kolo in the best 22 then unless at least one of atkins bews or tuohy gets dropped. A bit depends on the style kelly wants to play if he prioritises marking kolo might stay if he prioritises groundball speed and kicking skills out of defence those guys will likely get picked ahead of him.
I'm not advocating for any 1 player but seems to me that only Kolo of those 4 you named is actually a med defender. That would suggest we do not have an excess in that area and if we have a player in the VFL that can make the position his own that's a good thing for the team.

I'm not advocating for any 1 player but seems to me that only Kolo of those 4 you named is actually a med defender. That would suggest we do not have an excess in that area and if we have a player in the VFL that can make the position his own that's a good thing for the team.

If atkins tuohy and bews and oconnor (and even zuthrie etc) are not medium defenders what are they? They arent tall defenders and small and medium defender is a very interchangeable position and definition.

If atkins tuohy and bews and oconnor (and even zuthrie etc) are not medium defenders what are they? They arent tall defenders and small and medium defender is a very interchangeable position and definition.
First of all you didn't name O'Connor or Zac Guth in the post I replied to. O'Connor had been playing as a defensive mid b4 injury and Zac Guth is a fringe med defender.

Atkins and Jed (if it wasn't for my name) Bews are small defenders and Tuohy is more of a winger these days.

First of all you didn't name O'Connor or Zac Guth in the post I replied to. O'Connor had been playing as a defensive mid b4 injury and Zac Guth is a fringe med defender.

Atkins and Jed (if it wasn't for my name) Bews are small defenders and Tuohy is more of a winger these days.

To be fair i pointed out that blitz and henry are locks for the 2 tall spots (plus sdk if he impresses) and stewart is a lock as our best defender and all of atkins tuohy bews moc kolo and zuthrie are all options as small-med defenders. Yes some like moc could play other positions although i think tuohy is more valuable for us as a kicking outlet from defence than wing and our wing spots are covered anyway. We have good depth in the medium defender stocks compared to other areas of the list imo.

I agree dahl higgins and ceglar will play a lot of vfl but they arent defenders so its not relevant to kolos spot.
I agree there will be rotations of defenders during the year i was talking about what defence we are likely to pick come finals and we have an excess of medium defenders. So i dont see kolo in the best 22 then unless at least one of atkins bews or tuohy gets dropped. A bit depends on the style kelly wants to play if he prioritises marking kolo might stay if he prioritises groundball speed and kicking skills out of defence those guys will likely get picked ahead of him.

To be fair i pointed out that blitz and henry are locks for the 2 tall spots (plus sdk if he impresses) and stewart is a lock as our best defender and all of atkins tuohy bews moc kolo and zuthrie are all options as small-med defenders. Yes some like moc could play other positions although i think tuohy is more valuable for us as a kicking outlet from defence than wing and our wing spots are covered anyway. We have good depth in the medium defender stocks compared to other areas of the list imo.

There's no fair about the post I replied to, once again you are deflecting with players you didn't mention in that particular post.

There's no fair about the post I replied to, once again you are deflecting with players you didn't mention in that particular post.

Youre quoting the wrong post..i was referring to my original posts on the previous page which showed which full list of defenders i was referring to.

We have stacks of medium defender depth: (im listing henry as a tall back for this exercise but some consider him a medium only):
Stewart
Bews
Atkins
MOC
Tuohy
Kolo
Zuthrie
Stevens
Mullin

Thats without considering any other positional moves or where the draftees might play.
Some of those have claims to be picked ahead of kolo and some dont but if we go with only 2-3 tall defenders then he may well get squeezed out of the back 6 by 4 of the other guys i listed. If we want an extra tall in the back half then he will likely get picked every week for structure as we have no tall backs on the list other than blitz sdk and henry.
Bolded will play 20+ games (if fit). None will be squeezed out.

Who are you leaving out then? Blitz and henry are best 18 and sdk will get games and i doubt we play 9 defenders each week so i doubt kolo plays 22 games unless atkins is squeezed out (which to be fair is highly possible if we want extra height in our backline.

Youre quoting the wrong post..i was referring to my original posts on the previous page which showed which full list of defenders i was referring to.
Yes but at the same time I am not, you are answering posts other than my own (while quoting mine) if that is the case because the only post I replied to was about an excess of med defenders and you have only replied since then with multiple players not named in the OP I quoted.

At no stage did I reply or quote anything about a full list of defenders.

Yes but at the same time I am not, you are answering posts other than my own (while quoting mine) if that is the case because the only post I replied to was about an excess of med defenders and you have only replied since then with multiple players not named in the OP I quoted.

He said it previously on the last two pages...it's just not the post you responded to. That's not his fault that you're holding him to one post, without reading prior posts, before responding to that particular post.

But either way, this back and forth has been going on for nearly a page now, and it's a completely pointless 'he said/she said' discussion. Call it an impasse, ignore or move on - as it just derails the thread.

Last edited:

I was only responding to you in the context of the medium defenders as i assumed you were asking about the players i had listed as medium defenders..i had no idea you were referring to a different post than that. So if there was any inadvertent confusion we can all be understanding and move on.

Back on the topic..regardless of whether you classify guys like bews atkins etc as medium defenders or as small ones my point (which is what i was getting at in that original post) was we have 3 defender locks (blicavs henry stewart) and then all those guys i listed in the bold competing for the last 3-4 spots in defence and i doubt they all get picked as structuralltly we dont need more than 7 defenders..as i was saying to Art Vandelay_ in those posts i think the end result is that either kolo or one of the other defenders i had in that medium list is going to get squeezed out.

One tall defender retired. No defenders brought in during the offseason.

Just can’t see a realistic possibility that any established members of the backline lose their spots with there being a net loss of choices on the list.

He said it previously on the last two pages...it's just not the post you responded to. That's not his fault that you're holding him to one post, without reading prior posts, before responding to that particular post.

But either way, this back and forth has been going on for nearly a page now, and it's a completely pointless 'he said/she said' discussion. Call it an impasse, ignore or move on - as it just derails the thread.
What I am holding him to is the post that I quoted and he replied to, not multiple other posts which he has included while avoiding the original post from both him and I.

This hurts but I give up. I'm as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Pure_Ownage has named 6 different players from the post I originally replied to, will it cost you so much to admit you were wrong?

To bend like a willow is to survive, otherwise you break.

Maybe I'm a bit biased in my Tommy love but I would have Atkins in my team whenever he is fit. He gives his all and always tries to create both urgency and drive.

What about Frankie did you forget him

He's right on the cusp IMO, but he's unlucky that we're now so stacked in that particular position (left out Higgins and Dahl too). Still needs to have a good stretch of games, but the signs were good last year.

Hopefully he can push into that Best 26-30 come end of next year :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I am holding him to is the post that I quoted and he replied to, not multiple other posts which he has included while avoiding the original post from both him and I.

This hurts but I give up. I'm as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Pure_Ownage has named 6 different players from the post I originally replied to, will it cost you so much to admit you were wrong?

You really need to let it go. There's nothing ominous, it's just a miscommunication.

He was referring to a different post, you responded referring to another post...that's all there is. It's nothing to get hurt over. Just another in a long line of misunderstandings on an internet forum.

You really need to let it go. There's nothing ominous, it's just a miscommunication.

He was referring to a different post, you responded referring to another post...that's all there is. It's nothing to get hurt over. Just another in a long line of misunderstandings on an internet forum.
Hey, you know what? Because you keep on going I won't let it go! You dare to complain about threads being derailed, every frigging thread on this forum is constantly derailed and let go for way longer than most reasonable people would allow.

There wasn't any misunderstanding unless he is senile and I don't believe that. Just another example of the old boys club looking out for each other :oops:

Hey, you know what? Because you keep on going I won't let it go! You dare to complain about threads being derailed, every frigging thread on this forum is constantly derailed and let go for way longer than most reasonable people would allow.

There wasn't any misunderstanding unless he is senile and I don't believe that. Just another example of the old boys club looking out for each other :oops:

...Excuse me?

Perhaps you might want to remember that not 1 month ago, you were part of a mock draft on this very board that I took my time organizing and including everyone I could - that all of PO, myself and yourself were part of.

If there is some 'old boys club' - there isn't but for arguments sake let's say there is - (I'm also 32 so I wouldn't exactly call myself 'old') - then you're a part of it.

Sorry for trying to get this thread back on track while you continue to throw a tantrum. I was being diplomatic, but now you've got personal and you're just pissing me off.

You can have a disagreement all you like, but if you can't reach a conclusion after a page, then either a) ignore said poster, b) accept you've reached an impasse and move on, or c) continue the conversation privately rather than airing your dirty laundry all over a public forum.

Not gonna waste my time on this anymore. See ya.

Last edited:
I think the premise here is flawed.

With our age profile.. and the gap between young and old.... the "22" concept is fatally short..

WE need to be best 25 or 26 as there aint no way everyone makes it to the end without running outta steam.

GO Catters

A lot of steam in this thread , and I think you are spot on. The name on our list this year I really hop we have a big number of names that are seen at the level

If one believes the plap on the website...about him being at his playing weight that he will be at for the next 5 years etc... the club must think he is ready to play. If so I hope he gets every chance to play.

Im certainly not stepping into your crossed swords... on our med defenders would we better with 2 talls and 4 shorter quicker defenders. Our medium backline going back to Enright and Milburn seemed to work well when we could force a kick in, and we had players like Enright who would leave their man double team.

Fb. Bews. Blicavs. Stewart
Hb. Henry. SDK. O’Connor
C. Duncan. Guthrie. Holmes
Hf. Smith. Cameron. Miers
Ff. Close. Hawkins. Stengle
Fol. Stanley. Danger. Parfitt
Int. Ceglar. Menagola. Selwood. Evans
Sub. Simpson

Emg. Rohan. Touhy. Esava. Narkle/stephens

- danger spending 33% time forward
- smith playing up the ground helping in defence and on transition
- Holmes with inside mid minutes
- Blicavs takes no.1 tall F, Henry and SDK share no.2
- evans must be given 15 games, this kid will come on
- O’Connor 50/50 defence and tagging mid, smith and menagola dropping back to take over
- Rohan/touhy/Dahl back up’s as we prioritise youth without compromising team structure. SDK, evans, Stengle, miers, close, holmes, Simpson provide enough youthful energy and zip
- just don’t see a spot for kolo, he’s just not best 22 for a team that should be challenging

This next season feels like the year Ratugolea needs to pull the trigger. At this stage, he's well below par. I've given him a pass until now, but if his season shows nothing beyond the last, I think he's probably shot.

Please stop

Why does Guthrie play such little TOG compared to other mids? Is his tank not overly great? Always thought he was OK or pretty good with it. Entire career has been low TOG

Why does Guthrie play such little TOG compared to other mids? Is his tank not overly great? Always thought he was OK or pretty good with it. Entire career has been low TOG

The only players in the midfield rotation he averaged significantly less TOG in comparison with this past season are the endurance wings in Smith & Menegola

I know that Dangerfields & Duncan's TOG average will be slightly impacted by a couple of matches with early injuries, but an AC injury against the Suns will have also bought Guthrie's average down.

From those guys who are repeatedly playing as inside mids & not really rotating forward, only Selwood averaged a higher TOG & by 1% - Guthrie played over 70% TOG in all but 3 games this past season & twice over 80%. He looks on par with others in the team

0B564851-E155-4DA6-9FD2-EA5F27C3E5C7.png

I think the club will be having a final crack at flag next year (2022) before the next wave of retirements comes from our older guys. I don't think they'll be playing many young guys unless they play so well they demand a spot in the AFL side. I fear a wasted year in 2022 again.

So this is the side I see playing next season:

B: Stewart, Blicavs, Bews
HB: O'Connor, Henry, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Selwood, Smith
HF: Higgins, Cameron, Rohan
F: Dangerfield, Hawkins, Esava
Foll: Stanley, Parfitt, Narkle
I/C: C. Guthrie, Simpson, Dalhaus, Menegola

Our weakness is still our midfield and its slowness. I know Parfitt and Narkle are unlikely as rovers, but until we see some form next year I can't really decide who deserves the roles. Maybe we'll see some fresh blood in there from our draft, but unlikely.

Last edited:
Historically he did play low TOG up until a few years ago. Not a lot of specifics about it but he had some kind of heart condition that was corrected with surgery. Once corrected he went AA and won the bnf the next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back